• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IWIW] Sailor Moon R (thread 4 of a continuing series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cruton

Retired User
Usagi: B, you're off your meds again, aren't you?
Beryl: I don't need them. I take them when I'm feeling down.
Usagi: You know the medicine doesn't work that way, B.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The Cutie Moon Rod is a LOT BIGGER in live action now isn't it?
The damn thing's frikkin' HUGE.

Anyway, commentary:

Good job on casting for the right look. Stage makeup and costuming always drive me a little nuts—I'm too attuned to screen makeup, I'm afraid—but they do all right with it. Usagi's hair looks far too much like yarn, though. Suzuki Nama, who plays Minako, looks and sounds uncannily like an old family friend of mine when she was that age.

Takeuchi, in a brief appearance in the intro "behind the scenes" footage, is definitely shy—but much more relaxed in this environment (kids she's been working with, camera not focused on her formally, etc.).

Rei was written a lot bouncier than she usually is, and Minako got to kick Sailor V levels of ass. Tux wasn't as poetic in combat, but his one downtime scene with Usagi was spot on.

The Four Generals… aw, damn, I just thought of a riff I missed. Bugs Bunny. "Oh, we're the boys in the chorus, we hope you liked our show—" But, basically that. They're there, and they get to dance, and that's it.

Queen Beryl was obviously having a blast. I should have thrown in a bunch of Wicked Witch riffs. "HOW 'BOUT A LITTLE FIRE, SAILORS? EEHEEHEEHEE!"

A rare appearance of an articulate and male youma, plus youma minions!

Lots more hand-to-hand combat than the show, saving the blasting spells for the "back to the wall" moments of the climactic battle.

La Soldier, the actual intro and ending song, was fairly catchy. I was surprised that Moonlight Densetsu made no appearance, but they did do a nice rearrangement of the stock transformation/battle music during the big power-up sequence.

It was all very silly. :p

Last edited:

JohnBiles

Validated User
Lots more hand-to-hand combat than the show, saving the blasting spells for the "back to the wall" moments of the climactic battle.
In real life--hand to hand combat cheap, energy blasts expensive
In anime--energy blasts cheap, hand to hand combat expensive

This is why live action sentai tends to feature a lot more hitting each other than blasting each other.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
And indeed the live-action Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon series did tend to resort to acrobatics quite a lot.

But then, even your average anime episode doesn't use the spells that much : it's quite rare when a given attack is used more than once in the same episode. (Though it's starting to happen more often in R.) It's only in the climax-ish episodes and the movies that they go all out.

Shay Guy

Validated User
In real life--hand to hand combat cheap, energy blasts expensive
In anime--energy blasts cheap, hand to hand combat expensive
And combat styles where the frequent energy blasts are done with variations on hand-to-hand combat, often involving lots of acrobatics?

dshaffer

Pervy Catgirl Fancier
Validated User
Re: Just a Minor Update: Interviews with Takeuchi and seiyuu

It's no surprise that Aya Hisakawa's other roles include Arisa, the comedically violent gun-toting Office Lady in "All Purpose Cat Girl Nuku Nuku", as well as action-girl Haruka Shitow (an expy of Kotono "Sailor Moon" Mitsuishi's Misato Katsuragi) in RahXephon.

She also, amusingly, got to be both cute AND rough-talking as the Kansai-accented cute lil' Cerebus Kero-chan, from Cardcaptor Sakura.
More recently, she's also Cure Moonlight on the latest PreCure series. Which I find delightfully meta as she's back to playing a smart, bit of a loner, warrior magical girl. :D

Gargoylewing

flying over a post-factual world
Validated User
Stage makeup and costuming always drive me a little nuts—I'm too attuned to screen makeup, I'm afraid—but they do all right with it. Usagi's hair looks far too much like yarn, though. Suzuki Nama, who plays Minako, looks and sounds uncannily like an old family friend of mine when she was that age.
I grant you the costumes and wigs will be better in further musicals...:D

BTW,
I am surprised.
You already now reviewed the first Musical ?
Dang, I hoped you would go on a bit more with the anime episodes first.
Now I have to replan my commenting again...
Hm, but the child already fell into the well, as they say here...
Anyway, will work still too, so let´s go on...

Yeah, it had combat that was rather shocking!, if you are not expect such things.
The best combat choreography of the musicals, as I already said.
the Four Generals (wrasslin' and jokin')
They were enjoying their infighting so much, they had to continue it at the curtein call...:p
Minako got to kick Sailor V levels of ass.
Her li'l song was also very kawaii...:eek:

It should be said that the Sera Myu s keep closer to the manga´s continuity. But take HUGE freedoms from there, too, anyway, so....
Queen Beryl was obviously having a blast.
That is a main part from playing th evil queen: You have to enjoy it to make it work...or so I heard...
I should have thrown in a bunch of Wicked Witch riffs.
I never thought about it, but...Yes, yes you should...:D
Luna: "Eh, I understand them too well. It's summer… the blue sea… the white beach… a date with a boyfriend at a carnival… The battle will come all too soon. Let 'em have their fun for now."
Artemis: "Feh. Typical female."
Luna: "I beg your pardon! Such attitudes are rather antiquated, my dear Artemis."
Artemis: "Piffle. There are fundamental differences, and this argument simply proves my point."
Luna: "Nonsense!"
Honestly...
This little song felt somehow...off..to me.
Like...not fitting.
I mean, This never was in any way an issue in the show, so I felt at least. I mean, they even have a mostly female team (given the genre...), so why the girlsploitation allasudden...?
:confused:
OTOH, your musical choice for this number was quite fitting...
:3
Luna: "Oops! You're right. I plum forgot."
Artemis: "…Typical black cat."
Luna: "I BEG YOUR PARDON?!"
Artemis: "Nothing!"
:p

• A DANCE NUMBER BREAKS OUT
Everybody has paired off except…
Saigo no couple...
Am I the only one who gets a vague 70s feeling from that one...?
Track Listing
1. "Princes of the Universe", Queen. Duh.
2. "Have You Been To Baía?", from The Three Caballeros.
3. "Le Vie en Rose", the old standard by Edith Piaf.
4. "Wunderbar!", Cole Porter, from Kiss, Me Kate.
5. "The Girl Next Door", one of Sinatra's.
6. "The Nicest Kids In Town", from Hairspray.
7. "Anything You Can Do", Irving Berlin, originally from Annie, Get Your Gun.
8. Your choice of battle music from the Final Fantasy games.
9. "Die With Your Boots On," Iron Maiden.
10. "Be Prepared", from The Lion King.
11. "Tonight Is What It Means To Be Young", from Streets of Fire.
Overall, a very good choice I must say.

Kiss me Kate for the Ball Room scene ? Work fine for me...^.^
I liked the scene (and many shipping fangirls too. BTW, Mercury danced with Zoisite. Which explains a lot, even a lot more than you may think now, if I may say so, and I will elaborate this to a given time in your main Anime review, then, when you will not even remember I promised this...):
• A GAY TIME OF COURTLY ROMANCE
Enter Endymion's shoulder pads, dramatically.
Enter Endymion, somewhat less dramatically, wearing said shoulder pads.
Endymion: "Serenity!"
Enter Serenity, elegantly.
Serenity: "Endymion!"

Bring up the lights to reveal that we're at a court ball!
I may have enjoyed it a bit more without those shoulderpads to my backstabbing...as said, costumes will get better.
But the Waltz was a nice number.
La Soldier, the actual intro and ending song, was fairly catchy.
I agree.
It is somewhat, too, the anthem of the Myus.
I was surprised that Moonlight Densetsu made no appearance
AFAIK there will be a performance of this in the OMAKE ( a so called Fan Kansha event, or FANKAN for short) of a later musical, but due to spoilers I cannot send you the Youtube link. You of course are already aware that whenever we send you youtube links you are forbidden to watch, or even look at, the corresponding videos. I anyway like to point this out, it is like my personal "Don´t read the comments!"-exclamation.

BTW, you did already find out to with song you have to stand at attention like a Roman legionaries, did you ?
This will come back to you...

BTW, Tux appears still as Tux here, means they obviously went another way then the anime, or the Essence of Endymion has not yet chosen to hide the other side of her face, I mean, erm, as an Arabian prince...

Anyways, here is the "La Soldier" sung normally, and without the weird wigs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA-FD5EsKWk&feature=PlayList&p=02850DD17DBDF011&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=36

It was all very silly. :p
Said by the man that reviews a 90s shojou anime...
You say this like it´s a bad thing...;)
I wished I would say this will get better with future Musicals...
Well, future musicals will get better, but they will remain the silly lightheartedness I love so on them at least a bit, too...
:D

Just my thoughts, back to the Main thread now...

Last edited:

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Gargoylewing said:
Honestly...
This little song felt somehow...off..to me.
Like...not fitting.
I mean, This never was in any way an issue in the show, so I felt at least. I mean, they even have a mostly female team (given the genre...), so why the girlsploitation allasudden...?

OTOH, your musical choice for this number was quite fitting...
:3
Qu
Yeah, I was desperately searching for a replacement song, because it was so out of place — this cutesy, mincing, "stereotypes about girls are antiquated" and yet very girly song, in a series that really never directly raises the issue. (That's what's so marvellous subversive about the series—girls just step up and kick ass with no one ever suggesting that they can't!)

Going with the classic "Anything You Can Do" seemed the easiest callback.

Am I the only one who gets a vague 70s feeling from that one…?
No, you're not. (Even though I wound up going with a 2000s song from a 1960s setting.)

I liked the scene (and many shipping fangirls too. BTW, Mercury danced with Zoisite. Which explains a lot…
M: "It's so pleasant to dance with a partner who just wants to dance, if you know what I mean."
Z: "Oh, undoubtedly, yes, dear. Or someone who is not concerned about being more beautiful than you."
M: "That has been a problem in the past?"
Z: "Let's just say that flattery is a key survival skill. So, how's it going with yours?"
M: "I think she might finally be noticing me. You?"
Z: "Sigh. He doesn't even know I exist. Tragic, I know, but it helps me cultivate a melancholy air."
M: "I dunno, he's definitely been looking this way."
Z: "WHAT? O Gods! How's my hair? Is my cape clean?"

…even a lot more than you may think now, if I may say so, and I will elaborate this to a given time in your main Anime review, then, when you will not even remember I promised this…):
:D

BTW, you did already find out to with song you have to stand at attention like a Roman legionaries, did you ?
This will come back to you…
I must have missed the connection, sorry. :(

Anyways, here is the "La Soldier" sung normally, and without the weird wigs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA-FD...ext=1&index=36
Which I neglected to mention is on the DVD—it plays before the "behind the scenes" segment. (Quite a lot of videotaped plays like to start with a "rehearsals/dressing room" sequence, and I've never quite figured out why. Although I've got an excellent Canadian Mikado where they use that sequence to cover the overture, which makes sense.) It's certainly nice to see that they can pull off the look even without costumes and color-coding. I mean, Usagi is instantly recognizable just from attitude and pigtails, even if they're not an exact match for the screen character's.

Said by the man that reviews a 90s shojou anime...
And the man who draws cartoons about a talking koala butler, which is clearly the epitome of sober, sensible, and staid behavior.

You say this like it´s a bad thing…
Not at all! :cool: "A little nonsense now and then is treasured by the wisest men."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom