• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IWIW] Sailor Moon R (thread 4 of a continuing series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnBiles

Validated User
But then, even your average anime episode doesn't use the spells that much : it's quite rare when a given attack is used more than once in the same episode. (Though it's starting to happen more often in R.) It's only in the climax-ish episodes and the movies that they go all out.
Which reminds me, we're pretty close to where Shadowjack can safely watch the R Movie.

Which does indeed feature some GOING ALL OUT with the powers.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Which reminds me, we're pretty close to where Shadowjack can safely watch the R Movie.
After episode #77, though, which still gives us some time before that.

By the way, while I'm repeating myself : #73 has quite a spoilery title.
(Actually, there seems to be quite a lot more of these in R than usual. #77 is a particularly bad case, for example.)

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
And indeed the live-action Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon series did tend to resort to acrobatics quite a lot.

But then, even your average anime episode doesn't use the spells that much : it's quite rare when a given attack is used more than once in the same episode. (Though it's starting to happen more often in R.) It's only in the climax-ish episodes and the movies that they go all out.
And combat styles where the frequent energy blasts are done with variations on hand-to-hand combat, often involving lots of acrobatics?
Expensive as hell! :D

It's true I tend to focus on these things, being both A) a gamer and B) an SF reader. The way the series is working, everyone with magic powers has pretty limited uses on them—two good bursts a night seems a fair estimate if we assume that they usually hold one in reserve just in case, and that's for famous elite battlemages! Defensive magic seems much easier, though; even the minions are pretty durable, and they don't even bother to obtain conventional weapons, guns, swords, whatever.

The manga and the live stuff I've seen tends to have more minions about, so there's lots more hand-to-hand action—so you're not wasting your blasts. Even though most mages seem to have area effect attacks, it seems they'd rather use them to make sure their key target can't dodge than use them to clear the room. The Sailors kick ass because they have such good teamwork, i.e. Mercury wipes the minions, Venus pulls aggro, Mars cures status effects, Jupiter stuns the foe, and finally Moon delivers the finishing move.

This desperately goes against conventional RPG round-by-round combat, though, because it would all come down to one set of rolls. If I did full GURPS stats, for example, I'd be tempted to aim finer-grain—that is, Burning Mandala wouldn't be one blast-per-night, it'd be a fast attack with a few dozen shots per night, each fire bolt being one shot, and a "Death Blossom" spray attack for emergencies. So Mars is delivering suppressing fire constantly, while Mako charges and fires off a lighting bolt every few seconds, and Venus is dancing in and out with her Chain and kicks… and you spend half the night playing out one night's battle. Very tactical, fine-grain, crunchy.

Could also do very Final Fantasy style, where everyone is dealing out hundreds of hit points damage pretty consistently, and popping Potions and Ethers like no one's business; it's all in juggling your damage output, status conditions, and timing of healing spells. I've hinted at this in my write-ups, though why the school cafeteria sells Ethers, Tents, Mithril Daggers, and Karate Gi, and will offer 50% on just about anything you care to fence, no one can adequately explain. Also crunchy.

On the gripping hand, I've been eyeing Mouse Guard speculatively, since in that system there's no problem with having incidental battles be a single die roll, and the rhythm of play seems just about right. One game session could be the equivalent of several TV episodes, alternating between downtime segments and investigative/action segments, and climaxing with a detailed conflict against the current Boss. (I have rough ideas so far on how to adapt "Nature" for your magic powers; adjusting the Complication types for urban life; and the addition of a "Lonely" condition—I think it would prevent you from giving or receiving help, until alleviated with an appropriate roll or event. Thus giving you reason to take friends shopping with you, or personally nurse a friend through their Sick and Injured conditions, so that they can then recover from Lonely.)

Albert

Validated User
If you want to do an RPG system where the big attacks only happen a few times a night, don't make the PCs roll those attacks. Do the attack, and the effect happens. Unless this enemy has a counter, that is.

Or, you don't use up a Big One charge if your roll fails.

In any event, the bulk of it should focus on the social interactions.

-Albert

anowack

RPGnet Member
Validated User
There actually was a Sailor Moon RPG released in the US. I seem to recall it being based on BESM; any other details are lost in the mists of time.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
There actually was a Sailor Moon RPG released in the US. I seem to recall it being based on BESM; any other details are lost in the mists of time.
Yes. It wasn't bad, but I'd love to see a newer system take it on.

Davies

Validated User
It was ... reasonably okay. However, I remember it as the start of the barrage of licensed products that, I'm pretty sure, ended up killing Guardians of Order, so I have mixed feelings about it.

Chris Davies.

Last edited:

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
If you want to do an RPG system where the big attacks only happen a few times a night, don't make the PCs roll those attacks. Do the attack, and the effect happens. Unless this enemy has a counter, that is.

Or, you don't use up a Big One charge if your roll fails.
Something like Tunnels & Trolls did come to mind. You bang off a big spell, boom, like that, and it just works! Unless the other guy does something clever, in which case it doesn't. Unless you're also clever, in which case, ROLL THEM DICE!

In any event, the bulk of it should focus on the social interactions.
Oh, most definitely. Primary game focus upon building strong relationships and developing personal skills, with the battles serving to punctuate those segments.

I did briefly sketch out a very brief "space patrol knight girl champions" campaign seed, and almost without thinking about it I had put more details into travelogue scenery and romantic opportunities then into whatever the actual villains would be up to. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom