• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IWIW Sailor Moon S] Thread 7: All Good Sailors Go To Heaven

Gargoylewing

flying over a post-factual world
Validated User
Re: Episode #101: Usagi in Tears! Glass Shoes For Her Birthday.

Hooray, it is back ! :D

Usagi: "Oh, stop crying, silly girl. They're obviously setting up a big surprise party later."
Usagi: "Unless they're not."
And miss an opportunity for cake ? :p

Usagi: "You'd think that I'd want to avoid princess memorabilia, considering what princesshood has brought me so far, but I can't keep my eyes off of them."
Usagi: /shrugs. "Enh. 'Follow your bliss.' I'll con Mamoru into getting them for me. Shouldn't be too hard."
Usagi: "He digs ridiculous romantic symbols as much as I do."
Fatebinding. On romantic Princess stuff. Could be worse. I guess.

One Horribly Conventional Lover's Argument Later
Usagi: "MAMO NO BAKA!!!" /storms off in tears.
Mamoru: /rubs his face where she slapped him. "…the hell?"
Nice to see some normal social ...
Wait, Normal !? Usagi and Mamoru ?!

Haruka: /leans close. "So does that mean I now have a chance with you?"
Usagi: ?
As I said, Haruka cannot help herself. ;)

Makoto: "Because breaking into the district records office in the middle of the night to secretly look up your lover's birth certificate is the height of romantic passion."
It is, however, not impossible. It is Tuxado Mask, after all...

Usagi: /grabs Brooch. "MOON COSMIC P—"
Senishienta: /quickly disarms Usagi!
Usagi: "Ack! Not my brooch!"
These Daimons are quite effective when they know what to do.

Haruka: "—stand right here, blinking away womanly tears of fury, and watch and wait, because if we were willing to let the innocent little kitten girl die to save the world, we sure as hell can let a Sailor Scout pay the price she knows she always risked, and so help me Neptune if you say anything else I'm gonna start crying here, dammit."
And those 2 came over as tremendous, erm, dicks , in the beginning. Seems like they at least show some sort of heart here.

Senishienta: /duels with her Glassy Arm Blade!
Mamoru: /duels with his Compliant Rod! "Run, Bunny, save yourself!"
Hehe. "run bunny" ...

Also:
Whoohoo ! Melee ! :cool:

Would've been nice if you could've saved this until Thursday ...
I guess it is past sunset, but still before midnight, so all is well. :D

PS: On the terminology of Kaori Night, erm, I mean, Kaolinite...
The anime is quite silent about it, but other sources, afaik the manga, give her the "title" of "Magus", which, while not quite fitting, would at least imply she has natural talent as well as actual magical studies behind her.
From where she is, now, actually, is open to debate, as she still seemed to have trouble with Industrial Age era tech stuff...

Blazing Bat

Validated User

Professor: "Well, if you can't trust your lovely assistant, who can you trust these days? Obviously, I must give you my GREATEST CREATION YET with no oversight and best wishes."
Professor: "Here, have my best daimon!"
(It's his only one)

Every woman in the crowd: "Bet he forgot her birthday…"
Suddenly, disapproving crowd out of nowhere!

Usagi: "Seventeen."
Rei and Ami: "Sixteen."
Usagi: "Goddammit, I earned that extra year. Any year in which you die counts."
The question of her age is actually interesting, even with the time shenanigans. If she started the series at 14 as she said, then she'd have to have had a birthday before the summer break episode, but this cake only has 15 candles, I think?

Ami: "Because she's the birthday girl. And Rei put a seal upon it, so Usagi's the only one who can read it."
Magical DRM? And on a BOOK? Ami, are you trying to out-evil your enemies?
Everyone else: "WHAT?!"
There are some great expressions and poses during this scene.

…as long as she doesn't open her mouth.
Yes, that voice is the kind of thing you'd expect of a child-looking daimon.

Mamoru: /grabs Usagi and ninja-leaps away.
He also put up some kind of never before seen rose barrier around the daimon.

Usagi and Mamoru: /run down to the twentieth floor.
Usagi and Mamoru: /run up to the twentieth floor.
Senishienta: "I can just jump up and down the stairwell, you know!"
That was fun.

Kaolinite: "Oopsy, I dropped it! It might break. Now, then… be obedient and let your pure heart be taken. Otherwise…" /Meaningful Pause.
Usagi: "…Otherwise, what, you'll smash my power focus? I'm dead either way! What kind of decision is that?!"
Kaolinite: "A hilarious one! Couldn't you beg a little more, just for me?"
Usagi: "…Your personal life really sucks, doesn't it? And you're taking it out on me."
Luna, get over here! Kaolinite is all out of kittens to kick!

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User

QUOTE=Jhiday]Wait, Kaolinite stooping down to doing actual work, even if for a few minutes ? She must be desperate...

(Seriously, unlike many previous villains, setting up Ackbar's Little Shoppes isn't her thing at all. She feels nearly as out of place there as when Nephrite recycled Jadeite's Wedding Dresses plan.)[/QUOTE]

I was shocked to see her in disguise. I mean, she only throws the labcoat on when she's actually in the lab, and that over her mini.

And this makes perfect sense. The Talismans have been built up as very powerful magical artifacts ; of course the Silver Crystal (which for all intents and purposes, is Sailor Moon's pure heart), would be one of them.
We've whittled through the rest of the team, but I was half-expecting the Silver Crystal to be something other than Talisman, i.e. you get the three Talismans, and then you get the Silver Crystal.

That the Silver Crystal appears indeed to be one gives me pause, because the other two have got to be awesome AND well-hidden. (Now, we conveniently have two new Sailors around… but are they awesome enough?)

This is an awesomely old-school cliffhanger. If Kaolinite had a mustache, she'd be twirling it.
I'm here going, "Shoot her! Just shoot her! Stop fooling around! Didn't you learn anything!"

Next episode : How the heck is Usagi going to get out of this predicament ?
We've seen upgrades out of nowhere under stress before, and I still wonder if one of these days we'll see the realization that the Power of Sailoring was Within You All Along, and you don't need brooches and wands… but right now I'm betting on Uranus and Neptune deciding that the world's chances are better with Sailor Moon than with "the Holy Grail".

Gargoylewing said:
Nice to see some normal social ...
Wait, Normal !? Usagi and Mamoru ?!
I guess they get one normal day a year, or something.

As I said, Haruka cannot help herself. ;)
Apparently not. :D She went there fast.

Blazing Bat said:
The question of her age is actually interesting, even with the time shenanigans. If she started the series at 14 as she said, then she'd have to have had a birthday before the summer break episode, but this cake only has 15 candles, I think?
Yeah, I thought carefully about that line.

In spring of Season One, she introduces herself as 14 years old, so given a June birthday, she's 15 by year's end.

She dies and resets, so Season Two, she's 14 again, and 15 by year's end.

Season Three is the second year by the calendar, so she was 15 at the beginning, and is now 16.

But she's lived through an extra year on top of that.

He also put up some kind of never before seen rose barrier around the daimon.
GAK! I kept reminding myself to mention that and give it a nifty name, and it somehow slipped through the final editing pass. Durrrrrrr.

That was a cool stunt. Nice to see that he keeps quietly upgrading. He's got an interesting suite of powers, actually, a kind of aggressive defense (which I suppose fits the thorny rose theme). He's got merely fair ranged and melee attacks, but his real power is in ranged debuffs and close-range defenses and escape moves. He really does seem to be at his most effective with a team to defend.

AkeiArkay

Utterly Confused
Validated User

Wait, the talisman can't be the Silver Crystal. The Silver Crystal is in Sailor Moon's transformation brooch. The one she didn't have when she got Dark Star Assault Bicepped.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Wait, the talisman can't be the Silver Crystal. The Silver Crystal is in Sailor Moon's transformation brooch. The one she didn't have when she got Dark Star Assault Bicepped.
But it's been within her before, hasn't it? In the Sailor Moon R movie it seemed to be within her, and that's where Chibi-Usa's future copy was hidden, too. I think the brooch is just a focusing element.

Welcome to the fora, by the way. :)

Vehrec

Validated User
Maybe storing/retrieving these things from heart crystals is a good form of storage for certain classes of magical artifacts? Though, if the crystal isn't a talisman, we're back to looking for three.

Alternatively, this is just the Light of her Soul. It's not any sort of artifact-USAGI IS JUST THAT PURE.

On a different subject, I think the final episode of the final series has Usagi declare her age to be 16, sooooo.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Maybe storing/retrieving these things from heart crystals is a good form of storage for certain classes of magical artifacts?
As I recall, in Exalted, it's a 1-mote Charm.

Alternatively, this is just the Light of her Soul. It's not any sort of artifact-USAGI IS JUST THAT PURE.
Which at this point I can believe.

On a different subject, I think the final episode of the final series has Usagi declare her age to be 16, sooooo.
I could buy her fudging her age a bit in Season One. "I'm almost fourteen. This June." That'd put her at 15 now.

I know tracking dates is perhaps a little much detail for a goofy series like Sailor Moon, but when you show the turn of the seasons and openly discuss the characters growing up and moving through school, it seems like that much at least is fair game. :D

AkeiArkay

Utterly Confused
Validated User

Welcome to the fora, by the way. :)
Oh, hey, it tracks your post count in the corner there, doesn't it. Now I feel kind of silly. :(

I found this thread about a month and a half ago and decided to watch Sailor Moon while reading it. (I'd only ever seen the first five episodes or so.) It's a lot more fun this way, I gotta say.

'Course, I didn't realize it was a work-in-progress when I started, so when I finally hit Ep. 100 I got worried... Glad to see you're still on it, though. Maybe I'll start doing GargoyleWing-style metacommentary. :)

JohnBiles

Validated User

Professor: "Well, if you can't trust your lovely assistant, who can you trust these days? Obviously, I must give you my GREATEST CREATION YET with no oversight and best wishes."
He doesn't seem well adapted to field oversight, anyway.

Kaolinite: "Thank you, sir!"
Professor: "Careful, she's still warm. Who's the happy fortunate soul this time, anyway?"
Kaolinite: "This dumbass kid in the 'burbs with the stupidest haircut you ever saw, but her heart's purity breaks the scale."
I have seen WAY dumber haircuts.

Makoto: "Join us, Usagi."
*Flashes back to the TNG episode with the mind-controlling game*

Usagi: /sees a beautiful pair of green glass slippers in a storefront window.
Kaolinite: /sees that Usagi sees a beautiful pair of green glass slippers in a storefront window.
Usagi: /does not see that Kaolinite sees that Usagi sees a beautiful pair of green glass slippers in a storefront window.
John: /sees Usagi not seeing that Kaolinite sees that Usagi sees a beautiful pair of green glass slippers in a storefront window. Goodnight, Moon not seeing Kaolinite seeing Usagi seeing a beautiful pair of green glass slippers in a storefront window.

Usagi: "Now that's a birthday present: an expensive item for which I have no conceivable use in the immediate future, which embodies all my childish romantic fantasies in one frangible package."
You TOTALLY know she and Mamoru would love to re-enact Cinderella.

TOTALLY.

Later, in the Park Again
Usagi cries alone.

Haruka: "Wassup, Twin-Tails?"
Sort of alone.

Michiru: /and this is not a knife in my hand.
Michiru: /doesn't mark Usagi with her Divine Sanction, either.

Rei: "Hikawa Shrine, Rei Hino speaking."
Mamoru (via telephone): /explains. "—and since you're one of her best friends, I figured I'd ask your advice."
Rei: "BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! ¡POWER! ¡SUCH POWER! ¡I now have ultimate power over a man! ¡Hohoho!"
This is why Grandpa won't let Rei work for the Psychic Friends Hotline any more.

Sunset at the Shrine
Which, this being mid-summer, means that it is waaaaaaaay after 4pm.
Picky, Picky.

Usagi: /sigh
Rei: "How are you able to be late for your own surprise birthday party?"
I once was invited to a surprise birthday party by the guy whose birthday it was :) They didn't fool him well... BUT THEY FOOLED ME. *Actually, I was out for a walk when they tried to call me and we had no answering machine. This was the 80s, so no cellphones.*

Usagi: "Seventeen."
Rei and Ami: "Sixteen."
Usagi: "Goddammit, I earned that extra year. Any year in which you die counts."
A Seventeen year old Usagi wouldn't be studying for high school entrance exams.

Usagi: "If he really loved me, he'd have figured it out without me having to tell him!"
On the top three list of 'ways for a woman to make a man crazy'.

Senishienta: /quickly disarms Usagi!
Usagi: "Ack! Not my brooch!"
Senishienta: "Hokey smokes, you are a tremendously dangerous person!"
Sensible, yet so rare!

Kaolinite: /quickly uses her tentacle-hair to snatch the gizmophone away!
Kaolinite: /stomps on the phone like a railroading horror gamemaster.
Like a SMART FOE.

Kaolinite: "Oopsy, I dropped it! It might break. Now, then… be obedient and let your pure heart be taken. Otherwise…" /Meaningful Pause.
Usagi: "…Otherwise, what, you'll smash my power focus? I'm dead either way! What kind of decision is that?!"
Kaolinite: "A hilarious one! Couldn't you beg a little more, just for me?"
Usagi: "…Your personal life really sucks, doesn't it? And you're taking it out on me."
Why be bitter if you can get even?

Haruka: "Dammit!"
Michiru: "…"
Majel Barrett: "To be continued."
A great cliffhanger.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User

JohnBiles said:
I have seen WAY dumber haircuts.
So have I, but Miss K has far more refined taste than I.

A Seventeen year old Usagi wouldn't be studying for high school entrance exams.
Usagi: "Yet another reason for me to be seventeen! I won't have to do all this studying anymore, because I'll have already done it!"
Minako: "…I just decided that I'm seventeen, too!"
Makoto: "…Me too! Hell, I'm eighteen, why not?"
Ami: "Oh, no, you don't! You're not getting out of this that easily! Rei, back me up here. …Rei?"
Rei: "…I'm thinking."

Sensible, yet so rare!
Senishienta really is his best Daimon to date!

Like a SMART FOE.
Shoot first, then taunt. SHOOT HER! Now! SHOOT THE GIRL! She's right there! Don't give her time to get her act together or reinforcements to arrive or deus ex machina to show up! SHOOT HER! SHOOT THE GIRL!

("Okay, Kaolinite, you got me. Do you want to shoot me now, or wait 'til you get home?")

Top Bottom