• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IWIW Sailor Moon S] Thread 7: All Good Sailors Go To Heaven

Psychopomp

Done Here
Re: Episode #101: Usagi in Tears! Glass Shoes For Her Birthday.

First of all, Shadowjack, I just wanted to say how much I appreciate how you posted an episode write-up right before my summer crunch class load, then waited to post the next the week after classes ended - when I would finally have time to watch the new episode.

(That's totally what you were doing, right?)

Then:

You TOTALLY know she and Mamoru would love to re-enact Cinderella.

TOTALLY.
Turns out this penchant is where Chibi-Usa comes from.

*Flashes back to the TNG episode with the mind-controlling game*
Ah, yes. "Wesley Crusher vs. the Orgasmic VirtualBoy." The scene where Dr. Crusher tries to get her son to play the Orgasmic VirtualBoy with her is eight shades of wrong.

...no wonder the boy ran off with magic space Indians.

Ratoslov

Exploding Murderer
Validated User

Ah, yes. "Wesley Crusher vs. the Orgasmic VirtualBoy." The scene where Dr. Crusher tries to get her son to play the Orgasmic VirtualBoy with her is eight shades of wrong.

...no wonder the boy ran off with magic space Indians.
In retrospect, the fact that Wesley was only an incredibly annoying dweeb was really a remarkable accomplishment, given his upbringing.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User

First of all, Shadowjack, I just wanted to say how much I appreciate how you posted an episode write-up right before my summer crunch class load, then waited to post the next the week after classes ended - when I would finally have time to watch the new episode.

(That's totally what you were doing, right?)
Tracking down one's fans to acquire their academic schedules is the height of dedication.

Turns out this penchant is where Chibi-Usa comes from.
:D

Goodness, yes. And saying that just made me realize that Beverly Crusher got quite a bit of weird mindsex on that show. (At the tame-and-somewhat-sweet end of the scale, spending a few days mindlinked with Picard, whom she was openly dating by that point. At the no-just-no end of the scale, Gothic poltergeist candle sex.)

There's another redhead for Jadeite's little black book.

Linneris

Validated User

We've seen upgrades out of nowhere under stress before, and I still wonder if one of these days we'll see the realization that the Power of Sailoring was Within You All Along, and you don't need brooches and wands…
Spoiler: Show
Wow. This really does fit with the last episode of S.

On the top three list of 'ways for a woman to make a man crazy'.
Do we have to retread on those stereotypes?

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User

I was shocked to see her in disguise. I mean, she only throws the labcoat on when she's actually in the lab, and that over her mini.
As I said, I'm pretty sure this is her panicking over the Professor starting to lose patience with her. Is she really going to get another chance after this ?

We've whittled through the rest of the team
With at least one glaring exception, though.

I suspect that one of the reasons for this is that they wanted to keep the "oh no, the target this time is a friend of Haruka's !" drama's full impact for Usagi. (Makoto & Ami are people H&M'd just met before being attacked, while I think there's something deeper with Usagi and Minako - they get distinct nicknames, for example.)

but I was half-expecting the Silver Crystal to be something other than Talisman, i.e. you get the three Talismans, and then you get the Silver Crystal.
Well, no : the Professor has already explained at length than when you gather the three Talismans, you get the Holy Grail. Which presumably is something different from the Silver Crystal (which you don't need any Talismans for, as Chibi-Usa can attest).

That the Silver Crystal appears indeed to be one gives me pause, because the other two have got to be awesome AND well-hidden.
Well, "well-hidden" is a given, considering the awfully inefficient way both the Deathbusters and U&N are going through to gather them.

(Now, we conveniently have two new Sailors around… but are they awesome enough?)
Nah, don't be silly. The definition of "pure hearts" has been pretty loose so far (hello random violonist !), but I'm pretty sure assholes don't qualify.

That was a cool stunt. Nice to see that he keeps quietly upgrading. He's got an interesting suite of powers, actually, a kind of aggressive defense (which I suppose fits the thorny rose theme). He's got merely fair ranged and melee attacks, but his real power is in ranged debuffs and close-range defenses and escape moves. He really does seem to be at his most effective with a team to defend.
I'm perpetually impressed by how much the writers are managing to make Tuxedo Mask useful this season, especially when compared with the four other Sailor Soldiers.

... Which just compensates for the fact that Mamoru himself is barely doing anything anymore (and fortunately, the generic soap opera plots we get in episodes like this one aren't as aggravating as R's stupidity).

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Do we have to retread on those stereotypes?
The show did it first! But in their defense, it's a teenager who does it, and she's swiftly pointed out to be wrong to play that kind of game.

(I've said this before: I very much appreciate that the series admits stupid teenager behavior, but does not defend it.)

Jhiday said:
Well, no : the Professor has already explained at length than when you gather the three Talismans, you get the Holy Grail. Which presumably is something different from the Silver Crystal (which you don't need any Talismans for, as Chibi-Usa can attest).
Sorry, I meant you get the Talismans, then you get the Silver Crystal for some previously unheard-of reason, and THEN you get the Holy Grail. It wouldn't be first time an additional hurdle was thrown up at the last minute. "Miss Kaolinite! Now that I actually have the Talismans in my possession, I have calculated that we need additional POWER to complete the process of generating the Holy Grail. Now, where could we find such power…?"

Ununnilium

Retired User

Nah, don't be silly. The definition of "pure hearts" has been pretty loose so far (hello random violonist !), but I'm pretty sure assholes don't qualify.
Which reminds me of Dragonball Z, and how one of the original requirements for Super Saiyan was "pure of heart". Then we get the guy that used to blow up planets for fun, and who never really went through a redemption arc...

I'm perpetually impressed by how much the writers are managing to make Tuxedo Mask useful this season, especially when compared with the four other Sailor Soldiers.
Honestly, it's not that hard to make him into an interesting/worthwhile character. Most just don't make the effort, tho.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Which reminds me of Dragonball Z, and how one of the original requirements for Super Saiyan was "pure of heart". Then we get the guy that used to blow up planets for fun, and who never really went through a redemption arc....
"You didn't say I couldn't be pure evil!"
"D'oh!"

Jhiday said:
(Makoto & Ami are people H&M'd just met before being attacked, while I think there's something deeper with Usagi and Minako - they get distinct nicknames, for example.)
Usagi I can explain as part of her super-power (the power to make friends with anyone). Perhaps in Minako they somehow sense a kindred spirit? Kind of like how war vets end up drinking together, even if they were on opposite sides back in the day.

Linneris

Validated User

(I've said this before: I very much appreciate that the series admits stupid teenager behavior, but does not defend it.)
Huh. I never noticed that before! Insightful as always.

Last edited:

Gargoylewing

flying over a post-factual world
Validated User

Wait, I now have an actual style...?!:eek:
:p

btw, next to something else I was also forgetting to extra mention TM´s banishing circle as some rare seen "real" power. He mostly plays supporter/decoy, or stealth expert (which neither of the senshi qualifies as;)). Also, he can keep an enemy at bay; AND always knows where to hit to get the most effect out of it.
Unless he is Evil and uses his roses to strangle other with his thorn vines.:cool:
But who knows, maybe this rose circle is actually the basic form to a veritable Finishing Move of Tuxedo Mask ?
We have seen some rare efforts of other senshis killing minions themselves. Mostly cardians (filler) , who really seemed to have less HP than other MOTW. UraNep can combine the "Areal Effect" of their attacks to kill Daimions, Minako has her Crescent Moon Beam Rain, and Mars can do encasing Fire Pillar on a single enemy. Wouldn´t it make sense that Tux has also something like that ?

The other thing is that, yes, actually forgetting to tell Mamo her birthday AND then be upset HE forgot it is actually sooooooo Usagi.;)

You might expect them to have exchanged it offscreen, but, as it seems, they have not...:D

Top Bottom