• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IWIW Sailor Moon S] Thread 7: All Good Sailors Go To Heaven

Davies

Validated User
Re: Episode #102: The Pure Heart Stolen! Usagi's Biggest Crisis.

"It won't break even if an elephant steps on it"? Is that some kind of common Japanese expression? I remember it being used in the most hilarious episode of the next season, too.
I think it might be a reference to Tezuka-sensei's biography of the Buddha, in which one of the major characters is killed that way.

zakueins

Banned
This sparked some ideas and cross-associations, but because my internet is down, you'll just have to wait.
Oh, how that statement fills me with dread... ;)

So, some more "highly competent Sailor Moon villains" ideas...

Spoiler: Show

About after Episode 81...

(Esmeraude is aboard her ship, working out a plan. She looks like she hasn't slept in weeks...)
BEEP! BEEP!
Esmeraude: Shit! Oh! It's the phone!
(Turns on the phone, and Saphir is floating as a hologram. She's hiding all of her plans, including the one marked "Hit Sailor Moon With A Really Big Rock" as much as she can.)
Saphir (hologram): Report, Esmeraude.
Esmeraude (working very fast to conceal her fatigue): Going well! I'm working on some superb plans to establish a Dark Henge...
(Saphir watches, looking her over)
Esmeraude (off-screen): ...and, this one will be great! It will work out wonderfully, and...
Saphir: Esmeraude...how long have you been off your meds?
(Shot returns to see Esmeraude, whom is looking shocked and amazed that somebody figured it out.)
Esmeraude(bellowing): WHO TOLD YOU!!! WAS IT THAT LYING WISEMAN...
Saphir (calm and kindly): Esmeraude, you know you have problems when you go off your meds. You look like you haven't slept in days, you've got a plan to establish a Dark Henge by using a giant wooden horse, I can see the plans there...
Esmeraude(small voice, embarrassed):...don't like taking my medication. Don't like how they make me feel. I like it when I'm not on them, I can think of so many things...
Saphir: You do remember the last time you were off your medication, right?
Esmeraude (embarrased): Yes, I do...
(Sudden Nostalgia Moment! Prince Dimande is having negotiations with two people with beetles for heads.)
Prince Dimande: Now, with this agreement, you'll get mining rights to Io and Titan and...
(Esmeraude, wearing nothing other than two censor bars, runs across the screen from left to right.)
Esmearude (deliriously happy): WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(Prince Diamade and the two beetle people are looking with massive face faults...as Esmeaude comes in off screen from the right to left the exact same way...)
Esmearude (deliriously happy): WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(End Sudden Nostalgia Moment)
Esmeraude (embarrased): Yes, I remember...
Saphir (head in hand): No, I was thinking more of...
(Sudden Nostalgia Moment! Fire and flames and a huge pile of bodies, some of which as we recognize as Dark Empire Droids and other such things...the screen pans up to reveal Esmearude wearing nothing but blood-very little of it her own, hands like claws, cackling to the sky...)
Esmeraude (bellowing): I AM THE GODDESS OF HELLFIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(End Sudden Nostalgia Moment)
Esmeraude (REALLY embarrassed):...I almost forgot about that one....
Saphir:Let me see you take your medication, now.
(Esmeraude takes her medication, swallows, and looks at Saphir.)
Esmeraude:Happy?
Saphir:Very. Get a good night's sleep and call me when you've gotten it-I don't expect to hear from you for at least eight hours. I might be able to get you some more support, I'll have to work on Prince Diamade to get it.
Esmeraude:Okay...and, thank you.
Saphir:You do great work when you're on your meds, Esmeraude. Keep up the good work.

Oh, and of course, can't forget season three...

Spoiler: Show

Call it about Episode 95 or so...

(Kaorinite dragging in the remains of the last monster, The Professor is up, working...)
Kaorinite: Here's the last one...
The Professor: Do you have...
(Karonite hands him a memory card.)
Karonite: All the recordings of what the demon saw and did. Boss, we're really going to have to do something about those Sailors if we're going to find that Talisman...
(The Professor steeples his fingers.)
Karonite:...and, at this rate, our demons are not going to be able to keep up and...
The Professor (interrupting): Do you have a proposal?
Karonite (surprised): A...proposal?
The Professor: Yes, I've been reviewing your lab notes-excellent work by the way...
(Karonite BEAMS)
The Professor (continuing): ...so, since you've been working out some great ideas, I want you to do the next demon development yourself. Try to balance anti-Sailor techniques with Talisman-hunting routines. Our first goal, of course, is the Talisman, but I want you to work out ways to deal with the Sailors. Oh...
(The Professor kisses Karonite on the cheek. Her blush is incandescent and she starts to giggle like a schoolgirl.)
The Professor:...keep up the great work.
(Karonite giggles and snaps off a salute.)
Karonite (happy, giggling): Yes, Sir!
(Karonite wanders off, and The Professor gets back to reading his copy of Employer/Employee Management Techniques by Klaus Wulfenbach (this is the copy, we can see by the cover, that has the additional supplemental material on good parenting by Gendo Ikari.)

Peter Svensson

Reads Too Many Comics
Validated User
That's how it's normally done there. I had a year where my coverage for animeondvd entailed staying in the same room for an entire day as every anime and manga panel happened sequentially. That being said, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Xan

Social Justice Worrier
Validated User
Iiiinteresting. The logo on that merchandise is the same one that was used on the recent Italian DS game, so I guess that's the official Westernised logo, then.

I hope this works out. My ideal scenario is a complete re-release of the anime including Stars, using high-quality masters, with new subs (honestly, the ADV/Pioneer ones were pretty good, but had some annoying errors) and... a new dub.

See, I like dubs. One of my first anime series was El-Hazard, which was dubbed so well that even the creators considered the English actors to be the definitive cast. As long as I've been an anime fan, I've known that dubs can be done well. The original US TV version of Sailor Moon faced multiple barriers to being aired, and I can forgive a lot of the cuts as being necessary sacrifices to that end. But the lazy writing and lacklustre acting... ugh. That's not to say the actors were uniformly bad: Chibi-Usa in particular had an amazing voice actress at one point, and that is not an easy role to do well. It was the kind of dub that was common on TV at the time. But times have changed, at least to some degree. A complete redub of such a long and old series has always been a rather distant hope, but now looks to be the time when it just might be possible.

Please, let's not screw things up this time.

sun_tzu

Validated User
Personally, what I think the superhero genre needs right now is less corruption, less darkness, less good people being pulled down by the futility of life, and more good people lifting up the people around them, breaking the back of corrupt organizations and individuals, changing things from the inside and out.

And, honestly, Sailor Moon fits that idea perfectly; Usagi lifts people up with the power of her love, making the impossible possible et cetera.
Agreed...with some reservation. I would argue that the darkness is necessary to contrast the light - put in only light, and you quickly end up with mindless sugar. The "good people lifting good people up" don't register as significant unless there's something to lift them up from, unless we can see that the corruption, darkness and despair exist.
Not saying that's a problem with Sailor Moon, mind you (death of Nephrite, anyone?).

Ununnilium

Retired User
Agreed...with some reservation. I would argue that the darkness is necessary to contrast the light - put in only light, and you quickly end up with mindless sugar. The "good people lifting good people up" don't register as significant unless there's something to lift them up from, unless we can see that the corruption, darkness and despair exist.
I would disagree in theory - I think you can write good fiction with only good, positive, et cetera characters in it... but it's very, very difficult. In practical terms, yeah, you need a contrast between light and shadow - especially in a magical girl series.

Not saying that's a problem with Sailor Moon, mind you (death of Nephrite, anyone?).
Indeed.

sun_tzu

Validated User
I would disagree in theory - I think you can write good fiction with only good, positive, et cetera characters in it... but it's very, very difficult. In practical terms, yeah, you need a contrast between light and shadow - especially in a magical girl series.
Well, sure, you can write something like "My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic" (easily one of the most positive, and most awesome, shows in recent years)...but that isn't quite the same as a superhero tale!

JohnBiles

Validated User
Well, sure, you can write something like "My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic" (easily one of the most positive, and most awesome, shows in recent years)...but that isn't quite the same as a superhero tale!
Even Friendship is Magic has a contrast of light and shadow. The ponies have definite character flaws, you have some of the fillies bullying the Cutie Mark Crusaders, and you have a world where HORRIBLE MONSTERS basically live next door to Ponyville in the Ever Free Forest.

(When a chicken can, within an hour or two of chicken walking from its coop, reach a place where cockatrices live, you've got a world which is dangerous.)

Top Bottom