• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IWIW Sailor Moon S] Thread 7: All Good Sailors Go To Heaven

Gargoylewing

flying over a post-factual world
Validated User
Jadeite also had this little thing with Thetis, the water-based handmaiden of Queen Beryll, whom he seduced into going onto a love trip on an ocean cruiser with (with added killing of Sailor Senshi as a bonus), and then discarded her as soon as the shit hit the fan.
Which shows that he not only was an evil General of sorts and a simple miniboss, but that he was a planning, a manipulating bastard to boot.

Late Night at the Shrine
Rei meditates before the sacred flames.

Fire: <<You have reached Heaven's Help Line. If you know which of the eight million you wish to speak to, please chant their extension, followed by the word, 'amen', now. If you have a dying prayer, please chant, 'one', now. If you are a god, please chant, 'two', now. If you are following up on a previous prayer, please chant, 'three', now. Para servicios en español—>>
Rei: "Three."
Man, you really make this sound like some broken huge bureaucracy here. Which is actually the Chinese´s schtick...:p

Rei: "¡Oh! Didn't see you, Yuichiro. I'm sorry, I'm very busy right now. ¿Could you—?"
Yuichiro: "Yeah, yeah. Sorry. But here—" /unties one of his sleeve garters and places it by her. "So you can tie your hair back, to be safe."
That´s actually a usefull idea here. :)

The Professor: "PRECISELY! My FINEST CREATION YET, the result of untold quantities of blood, toil, tears, and sweat! And yet SOMEONE continues to WASTE these precious miracles of Science!
You nailed the Prof here perfectly !
And his craddling of the egg makes me find him more and more creepy...

Yuichiro: /lurking around the corner. "Rei must be very tired…"
Usagi: "'Rei must be very tired,' Yuichiro said as he silently watched over the figure of Rei."
Yuichiro: "GAH!"
Usagi: "Suddenly, he realized that Usagi was standing right behind him. He recoiled in surprise and stumbled over his own sandles. Where did she come from?! he wondered. He struggled to his feet, blushing furiously. To cover up his embarrassment, he blustered, 'Don't sneak up on me like that!'"
Yuichiro: "Don't sneak up on me like that!"
Usagi: "But Usagi grinned at him in undisguised pleasure. Yuichiro blinked at her in surprise."
Yuichiro: /blinks. "Why are you—? How did you—?"
Exactely like it happened (or should have). :3

I gotta say, Sj, I love your turn on this series, especially on this episode, but also in general.
You just got it so...right...

Kaolinite: "What a remarkable way to travel! I approve. And how wonderfully useful for my purposes. We'll just seed it with a Daimon, like so… and there we are. This is one of the most heavily-used rail lines in the city; the odds that a pure heart will pass or board this train are excellent."
So, contrary to Jadeite, who started on quantity, while later Generals went on with quality, the Death Busters do it the other way rond and devolve now to mass guessing ?

Yuichiro sees the following: Rei beside a tall, blond, and handsomely androgynous gentleman with whom Yuichiro is unfamiliar. The blond man has stopped his motorcycle and stepped aside to chat with Rei, and they have been talking for some time, as the man has removed his jacket and helmet and now leans, cool and composed, against the bike. He and Rei clearly know each other; they smile and laugh. Rei blushes a trifle at some comment, and the blond man touches her face in a gently intimate fashion.
Haruka just cannot help, erm, herself...;)

Mako: /leans on the wall casually. "Speaking from personal experience, you certainly don't look lovesick. No, I'm guessing you're worried about something else. You know you've got a whole team with you, here, Rei, and you know we'd lay it all down for you. Isn't it better to get it out into the open and deal with it?"
Rei: "You're right, but the problem is that I don't actually know what there is to be dealt with."
Nice to see they actually are doing stuff ! And now Mako is even acting all by herself, and in a useful manner...

Yuichiro sees the following: A green-haired woman with whom he is unfamiliar, standing in a high place and playing violin beneath the Moon, as the wind ruffles her hair and dress.
...Show off, you, Neptune... ^.^

Yuichiro: /CHARGES!

Yuichiro charges right past Haruka and plants himself face-first in the mud.
From what we know so far, Haruka can dodge well, but Yuichiro is incredibly resilent. Guess those two could have done this thing the whole night long...

Yuichiro: /says nothing, and walks on, into the sunset.

Cue melodramatic torch song.

Mako: "Rei's not back yet!"
Ami: "Mina, quick, after him! Distract him with Mina logic!"
Mina: "I dunno, I'm kind of busy enjoying the view from here. When did he get built? All that Tae-Bo paid off."
Ami: "Minaaaaaa…"
Usagi: "Don't worry, guys, it's not the right moment yet."
Mako: "I see Rei coming now!"
Usagi: /holds the others back. "Wait for it…"

Rei returns at the same moment that Yuichiro leaves. They walk past each other without saying a word…

Ami, Mina, Mako: "WHAT? NO! SAY SOMETHING!"
Usagi: "Wait for it…"

…but then Rei turns and looks back, hoping for him to say something, but Yuichiro walks on.
My my, what an actually quite well done dramatic scene :eek: ...

Musical Running Montage
Yuichiro strides manfully through blowing newspapers and nostalgic memories. Rei runs after him, desperately, and finds him moments before he boards the last train out of town.

Rei: "…I have a bad feeling about this."
...which then immediately turns right back into our good ol MOTW series. :D

MAKOTO > ADVANCED RITUALISM > Sparkling Wide Pressure > Toden
Toden uses Safety First!
Toden reflects the spell upon the team.
Now, we know that lightning spells in this series can be de- and reflected, Maybe Mako could have played on risk and send this lightning back again through her antenna like she did once before... ?

Ami: "Right here! Would you like to do the honors, Mars?"
Rei: "¡Naturalmente!" /sticks the soul back into Yuichiro.
I loved the little bit where Mercury snaps the soul out of the air ! Remembered me a bit of Zoisite´s Dark Crystal subplot where Evil Endymion got the shard snapped out of his hands by a witty Ami...:D
She still is Mercury´s Chosen.

So, overall, I (and Jhiday :)p)) liked that episode, if only for the cute subplot and the teamwork ba the Inners Team actually again doing something. And in concert, even.

Now that we are leaving the double digit episodes, Shadowjack, do you realize thart you are dancing on the climaxing series, right now...?
:cool:

Aaron Peori

Retired User
Jadeite also had this little thing with Thetis, the water-based handmaiden of Queen Beryll, whom he seduced into going onto a love trip on an ocean cruiser with (with added killing of Sailor Senshi as a bonus), and then discarded her as soon as the shit hit the fan.
Which shows that he not only was an evil General of sorts and a simple miniboss, but that he was a planning, a manipulating bastard to boot.
Actually Thetis/Tethys (my prefered spelling being the later) was the one who came up with the plan and convinced him to go along with it. But yeah, he abandoned her at the drop of a hat. Jadeites main character flaw was cowardice. He could have easily beaten the Senshi in a straight up fight (as show by the fact that every time they had a straight up fight, he beat them) but he insisted on fighting with minions and (in the end) magically animated airplanes that got turned against him.

--------------
Epsilon

JohnBiles

Validated User
Re: Episode #99: The Kindness of a Man! Yuichiro, Heartbroken by Rei?

Meanwhile, Behind the Arras Shoji Screen
Gramps: "BOO!"
Yuichiro: "GAH! …Forgot you were in this show!"
Yeah, once the number of Senshi gets high enough, the supporting cast largely all fell into the void, unfortunately.

Gramps: "Speak for yourself. I've always been here, if you pay attention to the clues. Well, well, peepin' on my daughter?"
Granddaughter.

Yuichiro: "Hey, Rei! Have you had your break today? Don't forget to take time for a hot, home cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only three microwave minutes! Yo, pretty packages of frosted delights. Look! It comes with a toy, haha, I like that. I wanna number 4, number 6, and throw in a plastic donut. Just enjoy the gritty crunch; it tastes just like chicken. Wrappers of many bite size, all mixed in the pot for Mama's homemade from scratch (well not quite). Toasted over flames, they be tasting quite right. All hail king Neptune and his water breathers, no snail-thing too quick for his water feeders. Don't waste time your net, our net worth is set, ready, go, many know others (what?). We be the colors of the mad and the wicked. We be bad, we be brick-ed with the 24 hour sign. Shower my habits while you dine like Usagi with the crunchy, crunchy carrots (that's chicken), gotta have it superfast! A whole lot of breakfast you got time for: Superfast, superfast, I come in last, but just in time for breakfast. Keep in through, keep it true, forever blue, tonight, the night goes out to—"

Someone's freaking out, just a tad.

The Professor: "PRECISELY! My FINEST CREATION YET, the result of untold quantities of blood, toil, tears, and sweat! And yet SOMEONE continues to WASTE these precious miracles of Science! SOMEONE who commonly wears red in my presence, WASTES them, I say, by dashing them against the cold hard surface of enemy opposition for NO FRUITFUL PURPOSE."
Really, no matter what Kaolinite does, most of the Daimons are going to be wasted because she has NO WAY to do this any more efficiently than one pure heart at a time in a city of millions of people. This is very much looking for needles in haystacks.

Usagi: "'Rei must be very tired,' Yuichiro said as he silently watched over the figure of Rei."
I can't help but imagine Usagi with the voice of that Geico ad narrator in this sequence.

Usagi: "Have you confessed yet? Have you done the stupid misunderstanding subplot yet? How about the angsty bout of self-loathing? Oh, you're in for a treat. I'm so jealous."
Yuichiro: "But you're in a long-term relationship already!"
Hehehe.

Usagi: "Stupid misunderstanding subplot, check! Ah, that takes me back."
Ahh, experience, the great teacher!

Usagi: "Clear communication is key to any relationship!"
Ami and Mako: /look somewhat guilty.
Amen.

Toden: "All aboard the train to Crazy Town!" /presents left elbow.
Ozzy: That's all about the CRAZY TRAIN.

(Snip Cool Fight)
It's weird, this episode has a better fight than some really more important ones.

Meanwhile, On a Rooftop Above…
Sailors Uranus and Neptune didn't do anything at all.

Michiru: "Their teamwork's improved!"
Haruka: "Finished before us this time…"
Mind you, them not doing anything basically freed up the spotlight time / animation budget to have a good fight for everyone else, I expect.

It's a good episode; it's my philosophy that if you don't advance the main plot, you should advance some character's arc and this is a good one for Rei.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Gargoylewing said:
Don't sell Thetis short: she was courting him. He wasn't interested, but eventually conceded that he got further with her than without.

He still ditched her as soon as it was convenient, though. She bet on the wrong horse.

Haruka just cannot help, erm, herself…
She is an awfully flirtatious fellow. It's hard to tell sometimes just when she's doing it deliberately, and when it's just her being herself.

She still is Mercury´s Chosen.
It hadn't occurred to me until you said it, but theft and transfer of goods is traditionally within Mercury's domain. Hmm. Watch out for that girl!

JohnBiles said:
Granddaughter.
D'oh. Fixed.

Really, no matter what Kaolinite does, most of the Daimons are going to be wasted because she has NO WAY to do this any more efficiently than one pure heart at a time in a city of millions of people. This is very much looking for needles in haystacks.
I suppose the Professor has some vague hope that Daimons could be reusable, obtaining and examining multiple soul crystals in the course of a single deployment.

As usual, the reality of field operations conflicts with the designer's expectations.

anowack

RPGnet Member
Validated User

As usual, the reality of field operations conflicts with the designer's expectations.
The solution, of course, is to alter reality, since it is what is failing to meet specifications.

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User

*slaps forehead* That's what I was forgetting.

Mina: "Yeah, where is she, anyway?"
Rei: "Oh, Yamandakka had a date."
Mina: "She… a… wha… who? Why? She has all those extra… limbs and…"
Ami: "There's a lot that can be done with extra parts. Use your imagination."
Mina: "…My brain. Why would you say such a thing to me?"
Usagi: "Mina trumps everyone else, but Ami trumps Mina."
Everyone else, in unison: "It's always the quiet ones." (This has become something of a fanfiction meme regarding Ami-chan.) :)

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User

Indeed. The Dark Kingdom had the advantage of being able to track down the Rainbow Crystal holders pretty darn quickly; Ali and En didn't care about specific people; the BMF knew exactly where the crystal points were; but K and the Prof have no significant remote sensor or divination capability. It's a huge drawback.

JohnBiles

Validated User

The solution, of course, is to alter reality, since it is what is failing to meet specifications.
Fourth Doctor, the Face of Evil: "the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit the views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."

Psychopomp

Done Here

I enjoyed this episode, as well as the trend of bringing back old faces to have another look at them. I also like how they tie into the theme of the girls changing as they grow up...pull out the old relationships and examine them in a new state, as it were.

The episode felt a bit rushed in parts, though. But then, they were covering a lot of ground.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User

One thing I couldn't get across in text was how much the love song cracked me up. I mean, at precisely the right moment, the torch song begins, and while I'm sure it's an original composition for the series, it sounded like something out of some cornball 1960s drama (i.e. exactly the sort of romance movies the cast would have seen in infinite reruns on TV), and the singer was really trying to crank it over the top, too. I was cackling throughout the entire sequence.

Top Bottom