• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IWIW Sailor Moon S] Thread 7: All Good Sailors Go To Heaven

PenguinZero

Wark!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Re: Episode #103: The Arrival of the Tiny Pretty Soldier

You can tell they're real working scientists and not poncy science poseurs because most their equipment is state-of-the-art for the previous decades and covered in post-it notes. Eudial's PC is comparatively modern, a big beige box that's probably only three or four years old.
I've always sort of seen the Witches 5 more as the Professor's grad students than outside contractors (as compared to Kaolinite, who was his lab assistant). But maybe that's just me.

I adore Ami's face during this:

Ami: (I'm being bad. I'm being so very very bad.)
Ami: (…but being bad is fun!)
I've always loved that aspect of Ami's character. She tries hard to live up to the image she wants to project... but underneath, she gets a thrill from breaking rules, and she has possibly a pervier mind than anyone this side of Rei's grandpa...

Eudial shoves the car into gear, screeches to a halt next to Miss Tohno, and shoots her point-blank with a Dark Star Assault Squirt Gun! WHAM, BAM, CRYSTAL'D MA'AM, GANGSTA STYLE!

Miss Tohno: /thud.
You have to hand it to Eudial. Kaolinite just let her daimons extract the crystal by hand (or, er, other body parts), then occasionally came down to collect it if it hadn't already been recaptured by the Senshi in the battle.

Eudial? She's just pioneered the magitech drive-by.

It's all about efficiency, baby.

Oh, Dear
Enter Sailor Chibi-Moon, dramatically silhouetted, flanked by Luna-P! Yes, it's Chibi-Usa, a couple of years older, and in her very own pink-and-red Sailor Senshi uniform. She wields a cheap plastic knock-off wand available in stores today, kids!

This, of course, is the big spoiler people were warning you against. (It's also what was spoiled in the next episode title, which mentions Chibi-Usa by name.)

Chibi-Usa: "For love and justice, the apprentice pretty sailor-suited soldier, Sailor CHIBI-MOON! In the name of the future Moon, I will punish you!"
Usagi: /shakes head. "Chibi-Usa…"
Chibi-Usa: /dances and poses while winding up…

Chibi-Usa casts Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Her wand plays a little tune…

Rei: "Dude, she's totally ripping off your attack."

Her wand sputters and whines.
Nothing happens.

Soyer: "…"
Chibi-Usa: "…"
Soyer: /knocks Chibi-Usa over.
Chibi-Usa: "OWIE! You suck!"
Soyer: "Look, I may be a vicious killing machine, but I'm not heartless, kid. Why don't you run along home before you get seriously hurt?"
Chibi-Usa: /taps her wand's battery compartment. "I know… it… works…"

Chibi-Usa casts Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Her wand plays a little tune…
Chibi-Usa casts love at Soyer!
Soyer is mildly inconvenienced!
…right in the face! Soyer is stunned!
I just had to hunt down that little segment and watch it again. It's hilarious.

I especially love the bit after she's finally gotten it to work -- and it shows her attempting a pose that echoes Sailor Moon's big attacks, with a kind of strained deadpan on her face as her tiny hearts spank the daimon...

Usagi: "Seriously, WHY ARE YOU HERE?"
Chibi-Usa: "Mom said I needed to get some training in the 20th century."
Usagi: "Oh, well, that makes perfect sense."
Usagi: "Get Luna-P over here! Get Pluto on the phone— No! Get your Mom. I think I and I have to have a heart to heart."
Chibi-Usa: "Awwwwww." :( "But you're cooler than Mom."
Usagi: "You're darn right I am. Who do I think I am, shoving my kid off onto me when I'm trying to do dangerous work? I'm so irresponsible! Don't I know I can't take this responsibility?"
*snickers* The question of just how similar Neo-Queen Serenity is to her younger self is very interesting, really. Evidence continues to accumulate!

Final Comment
I'm puzzled and amused by the lights on the control console:

Since that's "this end up" and "not waterproof" on the left, and the right has a depiction of a daimon crouched in a box, I wonder if these display what the current device settings are (and the machine could be set otherwise), or if they always show that and they're really there just for show. Because, let's face it, Mad SCIENCE! is as much about theatrical display as it is about the joy of pure research.
For the record, the kana on the lower-right one read 'Recycle.' Which probably just confuses the matter more.

annoni-no

Validated User

Yay! New episode!

And thus begins one of the longest running gags in Sailor Moon: the Pink Sugar Hearts of Tinkly Uselessness:D This does imply though that almost all of the power Chibi-Usa displayed in R was the actually that of the Silver Crystal inside her. Which begs the question of why her mother didn't send her back with better back-up. Then again, maybe Luna-P got an upgrade we haven't seen yet:p

I'm dying to see how your idea of the Witches 5 as subcontractors plays out in light of what's coming up. Especially the hints that their origins are much more... sinister:cool:

On the cafe scene, you're absolutely right. There's just no improving on perfection;)

AkeiArkay

Utterly Confused
Validated User

Hurray! Not gonna do a blow-by-blow this time, seeing as I've somehow roped myself into writing MLP fanfic :confused: Nonetheless, I've got commentary.

First of all, I can't say I'm impressed with the new girl. Eudial, I mean. While she gets points for the Dark Star Bazooka, the "van emerging from subway system" is just reckless. The old Daimons were almost untraceable, and Kaolinite teleported everywhere. Eudial just left a dozen or so witnesses to her appearance; she could theoretically have made the news, which would've given the Sailors a clue they really shouldn't be getting. The P.A. system, while certainly effective, also attracts way too much attention, and she seems just as allergic to getting her hands dirty as Kaolinite did.

...I wonder if Kaolinite was part of that group at some point? Were they the Witches 6 prior to last episode?

All that aside, I'll admit that the sudden change in the Daimon production sequence threw me for a loop. Until now, I hadn't realized just how "dependable" the previous sequence had been. It's as though Sailor Moon suddenly started transforming to the tune of heavy metal.

Speaking of transformation sequences! I've mentioned before that I sped through the first two seasons while reading this thread. Sailor Moon S, on the other hand, I've slowed down to keep pace with SJ, and I've noticed it's changed the way I see the stock footage bits. Previously they were mildly annoying - I knew they were there to conserve budget, but it was still essentially wasted time on my end. Now that I'm not seeing them several times a day, however, I've realized it's actually a bit exciting: the transformations are the sign that things are about to go down, and they give you time to get psyched up for the fight that's about to occur.

On a side note: I really like the music that plays whenever the Outer Senshi show up. Not the "cherry blossoms" that they get in their civilian forms, but the "acts with elegance/grace" theme.

Lastly, Sailor Chibi Moon! :eek: I knew she was going to appear eventually, but I didn't think it'd be right after the villain change. I admit that her Pink Sugar attack had me in a bit of suspense, because I had no idea what might happen... And I love Queen Serenity's approach to babysitting: let your younger self take care of it :D

Edvarius

Validated User

I especially love the bit after she's finally gotten it to work -- and it shows her attempting a pose that echoes Sailor Moon's big attacks, with a kind of strained deadpan on her face as her tiny hearts spank the daimon...
Really, that right there has to be the single most humiliating monster-of-the-week defeat ever. Stun-locked by a little girl spanking you. It's just as well Soyer died. She never would have been able to live that one down.

Blazing Bat

Validated User

As always, the lady is a redhead. The business-like effect of glasses and neatly-buttoned labcoat is spoiled slightly by the big honkin' star-shaped earring and extra-pouty lips, but everyone has their quirks. Behind her, the other four witches are busily doing SCIENCE! and lots of it.

I love how even the lab rats look evil. Pinky & Brain origin story?

The Professor has sold out. No longer is each Daimon assembled by hand in his garage. Instead, the cash infusion brought from new investors has permitted him to establish a small mass-production line in the Underground. Mechanical arms select precisely-measured quantities of Daimon fluid from the stirring racks, to be injected under controlled conditions into a heavily-modified industrial curing oven. This equipment being the prototype, there is still a satisfying amount of leaking fumes and stray electrical discharges, but the Professor somehow still feels a little hollow inside. Such is life in a technology start-up.

I love the daimon incubator sequence. It just oozes style.

The garage doors roll open, the light of day blazes down, Eudial hits the flashers and guns the motor, and out of the subway station and down the surface streets she roars…
Eudial may be a witch, but she's not a very good witch if she has to take a car, rather than just teleporting everywhere. Nevertheless, these little sequences where she rolls out are one of the best parts of this arc.

I adore Ami's face during this:

Ami: (I'm being bad. I'm being so very very bad.)
Ami: (…but being bad is fun!)
Yeah, she obviously conflicted about behaving in a proper way and doing what's fun.

Rei: "S-stupid Committee. It's not like I like doing this kind of stuff or anything. I'm only doing this because one of Grandfather's friends asked me. Don't get any funny ideas."
Hah.

Eudial shoves the car into gear, screeches to a halt next to Miss Tohno, and shoots her point-blank with a Dark Star Assault Squirt Gun! WHAM, BAM, CRYSTAL'D MA'AM, GANGSTA STYLE!
This approach seems superior to Kaolinite's, since the extraction goes much faster. On the other hand, the crystal goes flying away from the shooter.

A Mysterious and High-Pitched Voice: "HALT IN THE NAME OF THE MOON!"
Usagi: "…Aw, hell no!"
Indeed. Aw, hell no.

Soyer: /knocks Chibi-Usa over.
Yes! Great! Remove the abomination before it can taint the rest of the show! Exterminate the vile Stealer of Spotlight! Show no mercy!

Soyer: "Look, I may be a vicious killing machine, but I'm not heartless, kid. Why don't you run along home before you get seriously hurt?"
... Why? WHY?

Usagi: "Get Luna-P over here! Get Pluto on the phone— No! Get your Mom. I think I and I have to have a heart to heart."
Chibi-Usa: "Awwwwww." :( "But you're cooler than Mom."
Now that would be an interesting conversation, I'm sure.

Yay! New episode!

And thus begins one of the longest running gags in Sailor Moon: the Pink Sugar Hearts of Tinkly Uselessness:D
You know what the heartbreaking thing is? Aside from its start-up difficulties, it's just as good (or even better, since it's continous) as the others' attacks, since their entire purpose is inconveniencing the monster until Sailor Moon can zap it.

Aaron Peori

Retired User

Love Eudial.

SO MUCH.
Can't agree hard enough. It doesn't hurt that the quality of the season takes a dramatic uptick at this point. I won't say she is my favorite Sailor Moon villain, but she's definitely in the top 5.

--------------
Epsilon

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Kaolinite is still in the opening credits. IS SHE REALLY DEAD?!
The opening credits will take some time to adjust to the new status quo. And when they finally do, it'll happen two or three episodes too early. *sigh*

You see that awkward shot when the camera focuses above Tuxedo Mask's shoulder and it takes a while for the cats to appear ? That's the spot where Chibi-Moon is supposed to show up.

(Maybe that's Eudial cosplaying with a long wig for the Professor's benefit... Nah, not her style.)

Eudial: "I'm glad you're accepting our bid, and thank you for choosing Witches5®. We can begin as soon as you fax over the contract…"
As other have already said, the Witches 5 are most probably grad students. Eudial is basically taking on a side project for the Professor, because she's obviously an over-achiever.

The Professor (via telephone): "I'll prepare your Daimon bodyguard immediately."
THIS is something I love about Eudial. She does all the grunt work herself (target identification and localization, Pure Heart extraction...) and the Daimon is just a glorified bodyguard to keep the Sailor Team busy. She doesn't seem to really need it, which makes her all the more awesome.

Also, I love the "mass-produced Daimon" montage. Even the Professor seems on board to make Eudial look as cool as possible.
(And wait, the Daimon cases are recyclable ? Wut ?)

The garage doors roll open, the light of day blazes down, Eudial hits the flashers and guns the motor, and out of the subway station and down the surface streets she roars…
Remember that aborted running gag where the Daimon Egg used to come out of unexpected places ? It's ten times funnier with Eudial's car.
(And I agree that Eudial is probably a Ghostbusters fangirl.)

This does seem to indicate clearly that Deathbusters HQ is somewhere in the city. Those are local mad scientists, which helps explain why they keep targeting the neighborhood.

I can't improve on perfection:
Yeah, it's a visual gag that's impossible to transcribe with text. I particularly love how the end of the girl-chain smoothly rotates over obstacles like the table, physics be damned.

And I agree that Ami participating against her better judgment but enjoying it works beautifully. It's a running gag that works much better than the STUDY-STUDY-STUDY rut she's been stuck in for a while.

Kid #3: "Hey, GRANNY. I wanna play!"
Mina: "…"
The universe just hates Minako.

Eudial (via P.A.): "Calling Miss Maya Tohno. If you are here, please show yourself. Miss Maya Tohno."
Ah, Eudial. She doesn't bother with careful infiltration or stealth tactics : she just barges in, makes a beeline for the target, and shoots them before they can react. Very refreshing indeed.

And I'll be damned if that Capture Gun isn't the coolest thing ever.

Voice-actor trivia time : Eudial is voiced by Shigeyo "Maria" Kawamura, whose most famous other role would be Naga the Serpent in the Slayers movies and OVAs, who ain't exactly a subtle person either. Oh, and she's also Kyōko Zeppelin Soryu in NGE.
Also, Maya Tohno is played by Yoshino Takamori, who voiced the title character of Nadia and the Secret of Blue Water. And Soyer is voiced by Yuka Ohno, a veteran Monster-Of-The-Week at this point (she's been Cameran, Pollux, Minotauron, Amaderasu, Pharmakon, and Tiren). This is her last role in the series.

Michiru and Haruka note that Soyer has now turned off the fireworks, and imprisoned Usagi and Rei within giant drums.

Michiru: "Not going to help them this time?" /winks.
Haruka: "Enh, they're big girls. Can't be bailing them out every time."

Exit Sailors Uranus and Neptune.
Assholes.

(But they've kinda got a point.)

Oh, Dear
Enter Sailor Chibi-Moon, dramatically silhouetted, flanked by Luna-P! Yes, it's Chibi-Usa, a couple of years older, and in her very own pink-and-red Sailor Senshi uniform. She wields a cheap plastic knock-off wand available in stores today, kids!
I don't think Chibi-Usa's much older than in R, but then time-travel hurts my mind. (In the manga, she barely left at all.)

I, for one, actually welcome Chibi-Usa's return. Sailor Chibi-Moon is a ridiculous concept, so it's for the better that they play her completely for laughs. The Pink Sugar Heart Attack is a thing of wonder. Which reminds me...

The Four Other Sailor Soldiers Are Useless This Season : Only Mars shows up. Chibi-Moon contributes more to the fight than her. I'll repeat that : Chibi-Moon is more useful than Mars here. That's got to burn...
I mean, it's been obvious for a while that all the four can do at this point is distract the Monster of the Week while Sailor Moon readies her attack. Chibi-Moon doing exactly the same thing with her puny attack just makes it more humiliating.

Overall, this is a very, very busy episode. It tries to do three things at once : (1) Eudial's big entrance, (2) Chibi-Usa's return, and (3) a standard victim-of-the-week plot. But there's only so much one can put into 22 minutes, and thus some of them kinda get the shaft. Our victim-of-the-week gets minimal characterization (much screen time is spent on the ice parlor shtick, which while hilarious could have been done for basically any other episode), and while I like the concept of Chibi-Moon just dropping out of nowhere in the middle of a completely unrelated episode, we didn't have time here for a clear explanation of why she's back. Hopefully next episode.

In hindsight, I'd probably have put off Chibi-Usa's return for a couple episodes (especially given the pacing of the next few ones). But you can't fault this episode for doing tons of things right : Eudial's entrance is impressive and clearly marks her as a step above boring ol' Kaolinite, the ice parlor shtick is paced perfectly, and Chibi-Moon's introduction is a riot. The episode as a whole is a bit of a rushed mess, but the sheer energy of it carries it over.

Next Episode : Oh gods, the horror. NOTHING can prepare you for this. Just have some brain bleach handy, you'll need it.

Last edited:

Shay Guy

Validated User

By the way, looking at YouTube clips of this episode suggests that it's the source for the few seconds of Sailor Moon footage in Odorikuruu. And I don't see any SM in there beyond that one segment, which means that AMV is now SM-spoiler-free on the off-chance that anyone cares.

Blazing Bat

Validated User

Hmm, that "Witches 5" sign on the door... Isn't Japanese read from right to left? So it's actually saying "5 Witches"?

Also, I think now that Chibi-Moon is here, the mini-movie (It's about half the length of an episode) "Ami's First Love" no longer contains spoilers.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Hmm, that "Witches 5" sign on the door... Isn't Japanese read from right to left?
Not when they're using Latin letters.
Heck, the occidental left-to-right, top-to-bottom usage has been spreading to kana too for a while (that's how the title cards are written, for example).

Also, I think now that Chibi-Moon is here, the mini-movie (It's about half the length of an episode) "Ami's First Love" no longer contains spoilers.
Maybe, but it aired in theaters as a opener for the SuperS movie, which was released concurrently with episode #158. I think it's better to leave it alone until then.

Top Bottom