• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IWIW Sailor Moon S] Thread 7: All Good Sailors Go To Heaven

Albert

Validated User
I think you just hit on why the Black Moon happened.

The Senshi pretty much set themselves up as a single-point failure source for the whole shebang. Now, granted, Usagi has an amazing ability to get people to get along, but anyone who has a strong expression of the evolutionary drive to personally ensure physical needs and security would have recurring issues with that.

I suspect it's a lot of where the distrust of the Other comes from. The current system works well enough - you've survived under it, after all - but will that be true if those other people come in and change everything?

-Albert

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think you just hit on why the Black Moon happened.

The Senshi pretty much set themselves up as a single-point failure source for the whole shebang. Now, granted, Usagi has an amazing ability to get people to get along, but anyone who has a strong expression of the evolutionary drive to personally ensure physical needs and security would have recurring issues with that.

I suspect it's a lot of where the distrust of the Other comes from. The current system works well enough - you've survived under it, after all - but will that be true if those other people come in and change everything?

-Albert
Not a bad guess.

I have the vague imagining that the whole troubles with the Black Moon folks happened when Earth was a lot less peaceful than it was in the time of their revenge attack, so that'd be a good time for alternatives to pop up with a degree of popular support, and also a good time for such a movement to get co-opted by not-so-well-intentioned people.

On the other hand, it occurred to me a few minutes before reading your post that if the future Senshi really are worshipped as gods, they may not rule directly, and may in fact avoid doing so. (Indeed, Rei seems to be the only one with much interest in bossing people around.) It's weird to envision a system where the figures of the dominant religion regularly stop by for tea and cookies, but I could see a set up where the local governments basically do as they always do, with the Senshi serving as roving diplomats-without-portfolio, treaty witnesses, and troubleshooters. If two nations can't get along, they kick it up to the Senshi to resolve; if a situation spills over and starts hurting too many people, the Senshi step in whether the governments like it or not. This suits the dramatic-in-bursting nature of Sailor magic, but it does have some obvious problems, too. If Mars teleports in and says you're doing it wrong, mortals can't really stop her… but on the other hand, if lots of mortals think Mars is full of it, she can't teleport everywhere at once. One needs a light touch and a lot of consensus building, and under this scenario, we can easily see how a Black Moon clan would get started.

(Hmmm… it's government by forum moderators! "In the name of the Moon, I ban your account for three weeks!")

One could combine both approaches by saying the Sailors used one until the Black Moon arose, then had to switch to the other in response.

JohnBiles

Validated User
A loose government in which the Senshi act more as moderators/concilliators than real rulers would help to explain how the Black Moon caught them with their pants down. They rely on the Senshi for really big things and there's little need to build up local militaries when everyone is largely at peace and the Senshi act as the force of last resort. Once the Senshi are all pinned down defending the Crystal Palace, there's no one else to really respond.

This is why their time travelling younger selves are crucial.

Edit: In my SMZ fanfic continuity, some people worship the Senshi, but lots of people don't. The Senshi are kind of uncomfortable with it but can't really stop them. It's a natural human response.

Last edited:

zakueins

Banned
There's just this image in my mind...

Serenity:...and, once we get the new Terra/Mars teleport operational, we should be able to increase travel volume by fifty percent and...
(Serenity pauses...and the expression on her face switches from curiosity to shock and horror....)
Mars:¿What's wrong?
Serenity (stands up and starts to scream...): AUUUUGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! HOW IN THE HELL DID I BECOME QUEEN?
(Mercury looks around, and pulls out her laptop.)
Mercury: Okay, one year and two months. Mako won the pool.
(Mercury hands Jupiter a 500 yen note.)
Serenity (shocked): What pool?
Mercury: The one that you'd noticed that you'd taken over the world.
Serenity (shocked): What?!?!?
Mars (amazed): You forgot about the world-wide election, ¿didn't you? Ninety-five percent of the Earth's population voted for you to be Queen...and of the remaining five percent, three of them voted no only because they couldn't declare you a Goddess.
Venus: You've done a lot to help out those that don't want to stay-you might have even prevented the whole Black Moon Clan mess.
Jupiter: Then, there's the whole mad science laws...
Naru (dressed stunningly well...): And, you've pretty much taken over the whole world and told them "just play nice and don't hurt each other, okay?".
Serenity (amazed): And, why didn't anybody tell me I was doing this?
Mars: ¿Because you didn't ask?

Exactly. And the Sailors didn't really realize they'd take on so much responsibility until one day Usagi is in a cabinet meeting and suddenly realizes she's running a government.

Snoof

Time-Travelling Layabout
RPGnet Member
Validated User
J'onn's race is actually descended from Mars Kingdom's genetic experiments, the Absorbascon is based on the same technology as the Silver Crystal, and the only survivor of Krypton absorbed the full power of his star system's Senshi - meaning he's superpowered even when *not* transformed...
Aaaugh. Now I'm having trouble getting the mental images of Sailor Krypton, Sailor Oa, Sailor Thanagar, Sailor Mars (no, not that one) and Tuxedo Bat out of my head. I wish I could draw so I could make the rest of you suffer, too.

JohnBiles

Validated User
I bet things didn't go strictly according to the committee's schedule in this scenario, huh?
"Everything is going according to... no, step away from the curtain!"

"NUNCA!" *FIRE FIRE FIRE*

*Many Old Men Hiding in All Niches with Comm Equipment Are Revealed*

"PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE OLD MEN BEHIND THE MONOLITHS!"

"Let me show you the face of evolution!" *Transforms into Cosmic Sailor Mars* "MARS COSMIC GROIN KICK * 12!"

Jorlem

Validated User
Aaaugh. Now I'm having trouble getting the mental images of Sailor Krypton, Sailor Oa, Sailor Thanagar, Sailor Mars (no, not that one) and Tuxedo Bat out of my head. I wish I could draw so I could make the rest of you suffer, too.
Something along these lines? (I didn't draw this, just found it online a while back)

Xan

Social Justice Worrier
Validated User
Regarding the origins of the Black Moon, there's a lot of confusion amongst the fans about the order in which things happen, due to it differing between continuities, and the anime's exposition being very rushed. This is one of the things that's led to the "Serenity is power-mad and tried to brainwash everyone" idea, as well as the "Serenity banished the Black Moon Clan to Nemesis" idea. Based on Endymion's explanation in the anime, this is what happened:

There was an ecological disaster. Serenity defrosted the world and became queen. Some time later, an unknown outside force took control of part of humanity, and used them to instigate an uprising against Serenity. The "taking control" is implied to be of the brainwashing variety, akin to Youma possession, and indeed there is direct evidence for this, which I'll come to in a moment. Anyway, Serenity used a purification spell to restore most of the humans, but some escaped purification, left Earth and went to Nemesis, where they could avoid detection. There wasn't any banishment: Serenity wanted to purify all of those affected, and it would make no sense to send a group of people tainted by evil to a planet that's impossible to track, making them completely untraceable.

A lot of time seemed to have passed since this incident and the Black Moon's attack on Crystal Tokyo. How much time isn't clear, but Dimande and Saphir are shown to have lived on Nemesis as children, leading to the possibility of them having been born on Nemesis. This actually makes quite a bit of sense when you look at Dimande's attitude and sense of entitlement. His forefathers had a good reason to flee Earth and set up a society on Nemesis, but he's lived on this shitty planet all his life, while hearing stories of the glittering palaces on Earth, where nobody is ever poor or hungry, and it's not fair, damn it.

Then there's the Black Moon marks, which I take to be physical evidence of some sort of soul-corruption. The fact that they go away when Sailor Moon "purifies" the four sisters, and that Saphir gets rid of his by his own will, suggests that they are the manifestation of something dark. What's intriguing is the idea that this evil can presumably be inherited: if we accept that the current Black Moon Clan were born on Nemesis, then this evil must have been passed down to them somehow as babies.

As for what the nameless evil was, there's no way of knowing. I did consider the possibility that it was Wiseman, but he seems to have been someone who has only recently appeared on the scene, plus he has to resort to manipulation to get the Black Moon to do his bidding. No, I think Wiseman is a third party who sought to use the Black Moon to achieve his own goals (in the manga, Wiseman's backstory is very different, however). There's also implied to be something intrinsically evil about Nemesis itself... though given that the corruption originally happened on Earth, it's a stretch to blame it on the influence of another planet. I think the choice of Nemesis to flee to might have been a case of evil seeking out evil. Perhaps being evil was what allowed them to find the planet in the first place, since Serenity and co don't seem to be able to detect it most of the time.

There is one other guess I have for the identity of the nameless evil, but it's spoilery.
Spoiler: Show
It's Chaos. Sailor Moon released it into the universe at the end of Stars, after it had been mostly-contained inside Galaxia for who knows how long. Perhaps, with Chaos around, this kind of evil possession is just a thing that happens a lot?

Top Bottom