• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IWIW Sailor Moon] Sailor Math: 8 Sailors + Mistress 9 = Thread 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davies

Validated User
Re: Episode #124b: The Horror of the Approaching Shadow! Eight Soldiers in Tough Batt

Shadowjack writes Rei as a Latina, and that squiggle thing is how your display interprets the Spanish upside down exclamation or question mark.

Wandering Troll

Retired User
Re: Episode #124b: The Horror of the Approaching Shadow! Eight Soldiers in Tough Batt

Small question- why does almost every single one of Rei's lines have that squiggle thingie on it?
Oh, you mean the inverted question/exclamation mark? That's used to begin exclamatory/interrogatory sentences in Spanish. Because in the Shadowjackverse, Rei's Latina.

The Shadowjackverse and Canon have a very interesting relationship

Ryan All

Validated User

Wandering Troll, I think you got ninja'd -again- :(

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Because in the Shadowjackverse, Rei's Latina.
Because way back when, lampooning the "fiery Latina" stereotype seemed too good a joke to pass up, what with her going to Catholic school and the kaleidoscope of notably non-Japanese appearances among the core characters and her having fire power. Now it's just kind of grandfathered in; my high school Spanish is so shaky that half the time I forget to bother to translate anything, and I don't really want to have her talk like a pulp novel character where every other word is mistranslated. (e.g. "Oh, sí, señorita, the wind, he blows very hard this time of the año. You be very cuidado out there in the desert, señorita, and God go with you. Adios." I don't think so.)

No, wait, that's a terrible explanation. Actually, it's because this doesn't take place in Japan at all, but in Encrucijada, a town just west of San Francisco (yeah, I said west, deal with it) that basically another commuter suburb of the City by the Bay. They have a Japanese-style school system because of a ballot initiative passed a few years back to fight juvenile crime that actually just made things more confusing; the weather is just like Japan's because our northern California microclimates get weird; and there's a precise replica of the Tokyo Radio Tower because of one of those sister-city things, I guess, yeah, sure, that makes sense. We never see any black characters because it's TV. Ami's mom lectures sometimes at UCSF, and Haruka and Michiru go dancing down in the Castro. Once a horde of youma attacked Oakland and nobody noticed; "At first I thought they were just Raiders fans," said one victim.

Last edited:

Aleph_Null

Maiden of Stabbity

Once a horde of youma attacked Oakland and nobody noticed; "At first I thought they were just Raiders fans," said one victim.
Dammit, this forum needs a thank button! I'm in stitches here.

JeanneHedge

Validated User

Because way back when, lampooning the "fiery Latina" stereotype seemed too good a joke to pass up, what with her going to Catholic school and the kaleidoscope of notably non-Japanese appearances among the core characters and her having fire power. Now it's just kind of grandfathered in; my high school Spanish is so shaky that half the time I forget to bother to translate anything, and I don't really want to have her talk like a pulp novel character where every other word is mistranslated. (e.g. "Oh, sí, señorita, the wind, he blows very hard this time of the año. You be very cuidado out there in the desert, señorita, and God go with you. Adios." I don't think so.)
Kind of reminds me of the movie "10", in which an American guy is tending bar at a resort hotel in Mexico. The hotel operator, a latina lady, calls the bar looking for one of the patrons, who at that moment is in the bar trying to keep a low profile. Bartender tells the operator that until further notice the patron is incommunicado. "Where's that?" "Down the road just past Cognito."

(try reading it out loud if it makes no sense)

Wandering Troll

Retired User

No, wait, that's a terrible explanation. Actually, it's because this doesn't take place in Japan at all, but in Encrucijada, a town just west of San Francisco (yeah, I said west, deal with it) that basically another commuter suburb of the City by the Bay. They have a Japanese-style school system because of a ballot initiative passed a few years back to fight juvenile crime that actually just made things more confusing; the weather is just like Japan's because our northern California microclimates get weird; and there's a precise replica of the Tokyo Radio Tower because of one of those sister-city things, I guess, yeah, sure, that makes sense. We never see any black characters because it's TV. Ami's mom lectures sometimes at UCSF, and Haruka and Michiru go dancing down in the Castro. Once a horde of youma attacked Oakland and nobody noticed; "At first I thought they were just Raiders fans," said one victim.
I laughed so hard I cracked a rib. Thanks Shadowjack. Thanks a lot. :mad:

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User

The Jinos were in California since the mission days, so Rei taking after her Japanese granddad is just one more way to irritate her parents. (He remembers the camps during WWII, but being the kind of guy he is, his answer to questions 27 & 28 were, "That depends on if you'll join me at the Friday dance, Miss.")

Ryan All

Validated User

It's funny, I watched SM:R episode 1 both dubbed and subbed, couldn't imagine why I clung to the dub so hard
"Big hole!" "Big hole all right.. in your skirt"
Geezus
and of course, neph's EVERYTHING IS RULED BY THE STARS nonsense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom