• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IWIW Sailor Moon] Sailor Math: 8 Sailors + Mistress 9 = Thread 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talitha the Little Girl

Validated User
What I produced wasn't, in retrospect, very good. But after a few chapters, a fellow fan and aspiring writer contacted me out of nowhere and offered to beta read my stories. Eleven years later, that woman is now my wife.

And so, you writing a story that I disliked ultimately led to my marriage. I am really grateful you wrote that story.
No matter how often you share this story, it's still an awesome way to meet a future good friend, let alone a future spouse. :)

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
This might actually be a good place to mention something I've been meaning to bring up for a while, ever since I realized you were the Chris Davies.

Many years ago when I was a die-hard El-Hazard fan, I stumbled across one of your fanfics. I didn't like what you did with Fatora - in retrospect it was a perfectly valid interpretation of a character we knew little about, but I was a rabid Alielle/Fatora fan and I was motivated to try writing something that portrayed the relationship more in line with how I saw it.

What I produced wasn't, in retrospect, very good. But after a few chapters, a fellow fan and aspiring writer contacted me out of nowhere and offered to beta read my stories. Eleven years later, that woman is now my wife.

And so, you writing a story that I disliked ultimately led to my marriage. I am really grateful you wrote that story.
D'awwwwwww. :)

RK_Striker_JK_5

Validated User
This might actually be a good place to mention something I've been meaning to bring up for a while, ever since I realized you were the Chris Davies.

Many years ago when I was a die-hard El-Hazard fan, I stumbled across one of your fanfics. I didn't like what you did with Fatora - in retrospect it was a perfectly valid interpretation of a character we knew little about, but I was a rabid Alielle/Fatora fan and I was motivated to try writing something that portrayed the relationship more in line with how I saw it.

That is adorable and awesome. *Applause* :)

Ryan All

Validated User
Okay, when I came into this thread It was like page 15, I was like "He's only got like 3 more episodes, there's no way this can cap.. but damnit! :p We're more than half done!

Ikselam

may one day be worthy of your grace
Validated User
This is an active thread by rpg.net standards; you don't have to bump it. If you're worried you'll lose track of it, just go to Thread Tools and subscribe.

To put it in perspective: Other Media's current last thread saw its most recent post on 8 November, exactly one month ago. Forty-eight hours of inactivity aren't going to kill this one, and posting content-free bumps just to keep it on page one is bad manners.

Last edited:

Shay Guy

Validated User
This is an active thread by rpg.net standards; you don't have to bump it. If you're worried you'll lose track of it, just go to Thread Tools and subscribe.
Or just bookmark my index. I promise I won't yank it off the Internet.

To put it in perspective: Other Media's current last thread saw its most recent post on 8 November, exactly one month ago.
This, of course, is because the default view is set to one month. :) RPGnet doesn't delete old threads; there's pretty much no reason to bump anything without something to contribute.

Ikselam

may one day be worthy of your grace
Validated User
This, of course, is because the default view is set to one month. :) RPGnet doesn't delete old threads; there's pretty much no reason to bump anything without something to contribute.
The more you know ~☆

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Genderswap sketches

But if we really are desperate for something to talk about… ;)

I did some sketches the other week off of the recent genderswap digression, but forgot to upload them then.

Spoiler: Show

I annotated the sketches as I went this time. (Sorry, as always, my handwriting's a mess whenever I forget to take the time.)

Genderswapping Sailor Moon

Starting small:

For SOME reason, masculine magic symbols tend to be LONG AND HARD, while feminine symbols tend to be ROUND HOLES.

So it's interesting that the f!Senshi use wands—rods, staffs/staves, sticks, pens—albeit disguised as pens, an innocuous tool. So the m!Senshi should have a distaff implement.

A ring? Nah, it's not a tool. Howabout a pendant with, say, a watch and mirror?

A Sailor: "STAR POWER SUIT UP!"

f!Moon has a scepter and a crown, and transforms with a round brooch (orb), all three symbols of rulership, so let's have m!Moon transform with the pen (scepter) and use the orb as his weapon? (Venus-style mirror?)

But I kind of like the idea of Tsukino getting a magic tie-pin or lapel-pin. Yeah, I like that better. He keeps the same tools.

School Uniforms & Senshi Uniforms:
White "Deckhand" Version and Black "Officer" Version

[both listed in CIVilian and WARrior forms]

I think [the officer's warform] looks sexier, but [the civilian deckhand] looks more comfortable.

f!Usagi is an "ordinary" girl, but cuter. In the manga, she's very delicate and waif-life; she's bubblier in the anime. And in both, she has a big heart ("feminine" quality) and determination ("masculine" quality).

There is where I wonder what age to aim at. I've mentioned that I tend to draw them fairly "developed", but boys grow differently from girls! The age curve is different! So do we want boys or young men?

If we go with Shota Moon, then I think it's a straight-across flip: a delicate boy with heart & grit.

Tsukino: "Oh noes!"

On the other hand, I kinda dig the idea of m!Moon being a manly lad with a big heart, etc. Instead of a tiny brawler, he's a big softie.

…a little built for middle school, though, isn't he?

Well, I've never let realism concern me except when I want it to, so let's go with a bigger Tsukino-kun for a moment…

We need "bunny ear" hair that looks sufficiently manly, so, hmm, double ponytails?

Tsukino: "I'm LAAAAATE!!"

Okay, that's too big a guy. He's still growing; try this? Slimmer!

I don't know, the ponytails look rather odd. Might just go with short hair, or a single queue.

Obviously I suck at ponytail.

Tsukino: "In the name of the Moon, I will PUNISH YOU!"

[annotations on uniform pic: jacket is red with white accents, trousers are blue with white stripes]

Yeah, okay, I like that. Better check the cats, here—one tom, one molly, both named for goddesses.

m!Luna, the drill instructor: "Dammit Tsukino you have a responsibility!"
Tsukino: /cowers. "But he's SCARY! I'm no hero…"

f!Artemis, who is Moneypenny to Sailor V's James Bond

Tsukino: /pets Luna. "Thanks, old man."

Mercury:
Andy Mizuno? Basically the same, right? Shy guy, shy girl, whatever. Plus awful fashion sense. Hmm, that makes him a pretty typical 80s nerd.

Mizuno: "You must study!"

Mizuno: /berserk. "Then I'll STRANGLE HIM with my STUPID ROYAL DINGUS!"
Tsukino: /tries to hold him back. "Dude! Chill!"

Mizuno: /Mercury Tricorder Action. "Analyzing…"

Mars:
f!Rei: A traditional beauty, an otherworldly air, and a driven overachiever. For a male, I suppose we go with a samurai look, very handsome; can even keep the long hair! A bit bishie, but I think it fits.

So kind of like Goemon in Lupin…? Nah.

What's the swap version of the T•A Academy? C•B? I'll get my coat…

Tsukino: "Reiji-kun!"

Okay, yeah, we're totally in Yaoi Land here, but I guess we really should be for them, hey?

Tsukino: /reading Shonen Jump. "Oh MAN this one's HILARIOUS!"
Hino: "I haven't READ it yet! Stop reading my manga!"
Tsukino: "Hey, should I read it out loud?"
Hino: "No! Go home!"

Tsukino: "JERK!"
Hino: "DORK!"
Tsukino: "PRICK!"
Hino: "SLOB!"
etc.

Ponytail? Short hair?

Hino: /as a shrine attendant. (I sense a disturbance in the Force…)

Jupiter:
This one's tricky: f!Jupiter is big and strong, "unfeminine" qualities, which I read as one reason she goes in for "feminine" hobbies like cooking and cleaning. So m!Jupiter ends up a small, petite boy with a serious case of Short Man Syndrome, going in for macho hobbies to compensate. (He mellows later on.)

Kino-kun: /pumping iron. "What? Fuck you, I only garden so I can eat! The flowers are just weeds. It's not like I like 'em or anything!"

He hems his pants 'cause he's too short for the smallest size.

Tsukino: "The Prince should play the Prince!"
Hino: "No, the best looking!"
Mizuno: "Why not the smartest?"
Kino: "it should be the guy with the BIGGEST—"

Kino: "WHOA! That girl looks just like the girl who—"
Hino: /rolleyes "Here we go again…"
Mizuno: /facepalm "Aargh, I know…"

Kino: /with long, curly hair. "If I don't cut my hair, I look like a chick."
Kino: /shaved. "Okay, I guess I could grow it out a little…"

Hino: "You DO realize Tennou is a dude, right?"
Kino: "IT'S NOT LIKE THAT! And you should talk!"

After meeting Haruka, m!Makoto-kun realizes that if this badass has the guts to dress like a chick, then he could stand to wear a tie now and then, maybe grow his hair out a little…

Mizuno: "If you're worried about looking like a girl, why not try for a beard?"
Kino: "Hasn't come in yet! I guess you can't rush biology."
Mizuno: "I… uh… think you look fine, by the way."
Kino: "Thanks, man. I can't wait 'til high school."

On the other hand, come to think of it, since I draw f!Mako with a full figure, I suppose m!Mako should be so, too, shaving at 12 or 13… he's just short.

Tsukino: /contemplating Kino's whiskers. "You sure you're a middle schooler? Jeez."
Kino: "One week, I shaved it all off—and people thought I was a grade schooler!"
Aino: "…Do you think they'd card you if you bought beer?"
Kino: /hmm…
Hino: "DAMMIT V!"

Venus:
He may not grow up to look like Tsukino, but Aino should seem similar, at this age at least, for the body double bit. f!Mina's a bit of a tomboy, so I suppose m!V-kun should be a little swish?

Aino: /very friendly. "How's my Prince today?"
Tsukino: "…fine?"
Aino: "Oo! Tension in those shoulders! Lemme help…"
Hino: /pretends to keep reading. (Not jealous, not jealous, not jealous…)

Ribbon replacement: how about a cap? …Okay, where have I seen this character design before? I can't remember.

Or a hairband? Aino: "It is the 90s! Mullet time!"

Scarf is a present from that actress he liked in the U.K.

I agree Aino-kun probably gets slapped as often as Kino-kun gets his heart broken.

Kino: "DAMMIT V she'd just broken up with ME! Like, 5 seconds ago!"
Aino: /hand-shaped welt visible on face. "So I thought I'd have a chance! She has a hell of a right hook, maybe we should receruit her. Am I missing any teeth?"

Aino: /in action. "INCOMING YOUMA! Eyes front, Sailors!"

Tuxedo Mask…
…well, obviously not a tux anymore!
EVENING DRESS MASK!
Hell, yeah! Dashing magical jewel thief! Is sober and mature where Sailor Moon is impulsive and childish, but is secretly just as much of a drama queen. And she's in "college", we swear. :p

Instead of the rod, howabout a fan? That also has mythical precedent, and looks snazzy.

And she can still throw roses—Tux evokes flamenco dancers, so Gown can, too.

Tsukino: "It's Ballgown Mask!"
Ballgown Mask: "The villain who takes advantage of a young man's heart cannot be forgiven. NOW, SAILOR MOON!"

How does she do dramatic leaps in that get up? Very carefully…

This preserves the inappropriate age difference nicely.

Mask: "Have we met somewhere before?"
Moon: "I… uh… wow…"
Mars: (not jealous not jealous not jealous)

Tsukino: "She said we might be enemies, but somehow… I feel…"
Luna: "Yeah, I KNOW what you feel, kid. Look, black and red dress? Obviously a villainness. She'll eat you ALIVE."
Tsukino: "Hey! Andy wears black and blue, and he's not a villain!"
Luna: "Are you sure he wouldn't be if we weren't here?"
Tsukino: "That's a ridiculous—"
(Mizuno, in Tsukino's imagination: /stomping victims. "NYAHAHAHA! Suffer, fools!" Victims: "No, Master, please, mercy!")
Tsukino: "…maybe you have a point, Luna."

Since Mamoru rocks the Miami Vice T-shirt + sports jacket ensemble, whatever-her-name-is* should be equally early-190s, right?

*Hee hee! In the English dub, it'd be Daria, right?

[illustration of Miss Chiba in pink tank, teal jacket, denim miniskirt, and ankle boots]

Er… okay, maybe a little more responsible looking? BIG SHOULDER PADS! Yeah, that SCREAMS Responsible College Student!

Okay, enough fashion jokes.

…Okay, you know what? I can just about accept m!Mamoru/f!Usagi, because when Usagi dresses up a bit she can pass for legal. But f!Mamoru/m!Usagi, with him not yet at his final growth spurts, just makes me want to say, "There she is, officer!" The difference is too obvious.

Tsukino: "Mamoko!"
Chiba: "Tsuki-chan!"

Maybe I should age him up a bit, just to make Miss Chiba seem a little less like an inappropriate teacher. (It feels like cheating to make her look younger.)

Hino: "When did I get a little sister?"
chibi-f!Chiba: "I'M JUST SHORT!"

Almost forgot the Moonlight Knight! If we're doing cinematic stereotypes of the Middle East/North Africa, then…

Mars: "Let me get this straight—she breaks up with you without explanation, then starts following you dressed like THAT."
Moon: "I'm getting mixed messages in this relationship!"
Moonlight Dancer: /boogie boogie

Chibi-Usa is easy, though a boy might squawk more at that nickname.

Pluto:
Okay, maybe looks too much like a traffic cop, but he IS a Timelord, they're weird, and I needed a counterpart to f!Pluto's red gems and long ponytail.

m!Chibi-Usa: /piggyback ride! "PUUTO'S THE BEST!"
m!Pluto: :)

The Cousins:
Obviously, m!Uranus is a boy who looks like a girl, and m!Neptune a mature young gentleman artist. Does it make it a trifle unusual/creepy that Neptune pursued the lad, or do we just roll with it? Do they come off as too camp this way, or just camp enough?

Yeah, they're totally highschoolers!

UraNep: "Elegance and grace!"

Saturn:
Leave us not forget m!Usagi Junior's new best friend. A frail, delicate child who creeps out all their peers.

Usagi Jr.: "Yay, Tomoe!"

He should look a little like the kid brother of that creepy guy in Ranma 1/2. (No, the other one.) But well-dressed—I always thought Hotaru dressed very maturely for her age.

Little Death-Lord Fauntleroy: "Bring me pure hearts! SOULS!"

I'm not going to seriously tackle the villains right now, though. So just off the cuff…

• King Beryl
• The 4 Generals
• Ali and En — Exactly the same! (Wait, does that mean they go for the same sex or the opposite? Does it even matter?)
• Black Moon Clan
• Ruby and the Phantom Bros. (Bros: "But she said she loved me!")
• SCIENCE! (Mister K.: "If there's any way I can help, Doctor!")
• Master 9 and His Beard of POWER!! (Master 9: "Bring me the Grail!" UraNep: "Noooo…")
• The Wizards 5 (Eudial: "Profit!" Mim: "I love you, baby. Only I love you." Tellur: "I get killed by my own experiment." Viluy: "So do I.")

Osaka-kun: "NOT AGAIN!"
G-chan: "I'll save you, Osaka-kun!"

So there's that. It's kind of interesting to see which relationships flag as "potentially predatory or otherwise problematic" and which don't.

And because I feel bad about throwing all that messiness at you, I finished page 3 today:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom