• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IWIW Sailor Moon] Thread 10: The Saturnine hive-mind of chaos waits behind the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dallbun

Validated User
Re: [IWIW Sailor Moon] Thread 10: The Saturnine hive-mind of chaos waits behind the w

In a way, they represent bookends - the end of one era, the beginning of the next.

Goodbye glorious sentai teams. Hello monster collecting.
I don't think you can say that a sentai era ever ended. Live-action sentai serieses have continued unabated, though it seems like they have picked up a few Pokemon and TCG-influenced merchandizing tactics. And animated magical girl sentai-style teams inspired by Sailor Moon have been constantly around since before Sailor Moon even ended, the most successful being the PreCure metaseries.

There's a reason we're reading a WiW of Sailor Moon and not Wedding Peach, though.

Ununnilium

Retired User
Re: [IWIW Sailor Moon] Thread 10: The Saturnine hive-mind of chaos waits behind the w

I don't think you can say that a sentai era ever ended. Live-action sentai serieses have continued unabated, though it seems like they have picked up a few Pokemon and TCG-influenced merchandizing tactics. And animated magical girl sentai-style teams inspired by Sailor Moon have been constantly around since before Sailor Moon even ended, the most successful being the PreCure metaseries.

There's a reason we're reading a WiW of Sailor Moon and not Wedding Peach, though.
Yeah, really, Sailor Moon was more the beginning of an era than the end of one.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Ununnilium said:
To be fair, Pokemon itself is wholly post-Sailor Moon. But who's counting?
Yep. As I recall, I changed a joke about Chibi-Usa playing Pokémon to M:tG because of that. Though I'm not sure that's much better. :D

Amazoness! said:
I find it interesting that the Pokemon anime began less than two months after Sailor Moon ended. Those shows really feel like they belong in different eras to me.
It's weird to come across those stylistic gaps, isn't it? It's the way eras overlap, of course.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Episode #121: A Mystic Flower That Steals Hearts! The Third Witch, Tellur!

Five Seconds After the Last Episode
Sailor Pluto: "Our foes are unusually ruthless."
Michiru: "Obviously we need to be even more ruthless."
Usagi: "You were there all along? What am I saying, of course you were!"
The Outer Sailors: /turn to go
Usagi: "Hey, wait! Can we PLEASE talk?"
Haruka: /nope.jpg

Just Outside
Usagi: "Wa-wa-wa-wa-wa-wa-wa-WAIT! Sailor Uranus! Wait! Halt! Stop! Hold up! Cease perambulating! Whoa there!"
Usagi: "HARUKA!"
Haruka: /aaarrrrgh
Usagi: "All right, team, hit 'em with the chorus!"
Chibi-Usa: "Don't you hurt Hotaru! She isn't a bad girl!"
Ami: /plaintively. "There's got to be another way!"
Minako: /furiously. "There's got to be another way!"
Rei: /encouragingly. "There's got to be another way!"
Makoto: /forcefully. "There's got to be another way!"
Mamoru: /manly nod, what they said.
Haruka: /Colonel Jessep Defense Prana. "It's no use! No matter how many ideals you line up with your mouth, this battle will not end!"
Usagi: "All right, begging didn't work. Let's try logic! Go!"
Minako: "I know I sound like a bitch when I say this—"
Makoto: "No, go ahead, sound like a bitch."
Minako: "—but we've been putting our lives on the line for those ideals since before you Exalted. We're not just talkin' out of our asses, here."
Usagi: "Yeah, I killed my boyfriend once to save the world! Admittedly, the timeline changed after and he wasn't technically my boyfriend yet, but…"
Haruka: /still ignoring them. "We have no time for ideals!"
Ami: "Running late is a consequence of poor time management! If you'd talked about this a lot sooner, you could avoided this mess."
Rei: "And there may still be time. Between Mercury and Venus we have crazy plans to burn."
Ami: "Thank you, I think."
Mamoru: "And let me point out that while you MAY be correct, but you've made very little effort to convince us that you ARE trustworthy besides shouting louder. If you have time to attend coffeehouses, surely you can drop an hour to show us your evidence."
Haruka: /definitely ignoring them. "Compared to you…" /turns her back dramatically. "…we long for a different world."
Usagi: "…What is that even supposed to mean? I thought we both wanted the world saved! Does that mean you don't? Or there varieties of saving with different end-states or something? Or… hey, don't walk off!"
Haruka: /walks off.
Michiru: /follows.
Sailor Pluto: /hesitates, then follows.
Usagi: "Hmm. It's almost as if they don't want to listen to us."
Minako: "I hope we don't have to kill them."
Usagi: "What?!"
Minako: "Just sayin'!"
Chibi-Usa: /starts to cry. "It's not Hotaru's fault! I'll protect her! You'll see!"
Mamoru: /pats her on the shoulder.

Darth Hotaru's Isolation Chamber
Hisssssss… click… hissssssss… click…

Hotaru(?): "Are the pure hearts here yet?"
The Professor: "I have every faith we'll have them Real Soon Now."
Hotaru(?): "I find your faith disturbing. PURE HEARTS. LOTS OF THEM. NOW."
The Professor: "Yes, Ma'am!"
Hotaru(?): "Without them I cannot awaken… I will not forgive anyone who gets in the way of my revival…"
Hotaru(?): /cough twitch
Hotaru(?): "…Chibi-Usa…"
The Professor: ?
Hotaru(?): "PAY NO ATTENTION TO THAT. EVERYTHING'S UNDER CONTROL. IN BASE 100 I'M FINE."
The Professor: "Yes, Ma'am!"

Office of the Witches3®
Whoever updated the sign was in a hurry or rather clumsy.

But I suspect it wasn't Tellur. Her desk is very neat, very clean; her typing swift and precise. The only visible quirk is that she's surrounded herself with potted plants of a breed that evoke Little Shop of Horrors and Pink Floyd The Wall.

Tellur switched off the cloaking device because it gives her a headache and disturbs the plants, so we can see her face. She looks older than Mimette or our heroes, which given the way the Outer Sailors are drawn probably means she's an ancient crone of 16 or so. She's genuinely pretty, and accentuates it carefully with makeup. Her hair is a brilliant natural green, soft and curly, which she wears in quad buns. She, too, favors stylish Science! glasses in the lab.

Phone rings.

Tellur: "Thank you for calling Witches3®. This is the Horticulture Desk, Tellur speaking."
The Professor (via telephone): "Miss Tellur, I've been looking over your proposal, and I think I'm beginning to like it."
Tellur: "Thank you very much, sir."
The Professor (via telephone): "As much as I hate to admit it, our daimon-centric plans have displayed a success rate of roughly… well, zero. Obviously a new approach is called for, on a provisional basis. Should field trials prove effective, I think I can see my way to greenlighting a full production run."
The Professor (via telephone): "So, if you'll just submit an a—"
Tellur: "I have a complete action plan, budget, and environmental impact report already written up, and have all the necessary materials standing by for immediate deployment!"
The Professor (via telephone): "—action, ah, wha? Oh. Oh, well, go ahead then. Good luck."
Tellur: /hangs up.
Tellur: /SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :D
Tellur: /switches on the growlights. "IT'S TIME, MY DARLINGS!"

We see that Tellur's desk is not in an office, but rather in the center of a massive alien egg chamber, I mean, greenhouse, filled with rows upon rows of those little creepy plants, gently glowing in the darkness.

Meanwhile, Back in the Lab

The Professor: /hangs up. "Siiigh… it just doesn't feel right to do this without a daimon. I MUST HAVE A BACKUP PL— ouch. Oo. Stress tension. Ow."

ENTER Kaori, armed with coffee and biscuits.

Kaori: "Why, Professor! Here, drink this, and let me massage the tension away."
The Professor: "Why… thank you, Miss K."
Kaori: /tenderly massage.
The Professor: "I guess the joy of Science! is NO CURE for stress, especially in the face of repeated BUT SURMOUNTABLE failures."
Kaori: "If there's anything else I can do… anything."
The Professor: "But I've troubled you so much already."
Kaori: "Not at all."
The Professor: "You help me so much, in all things. You always have."
Kaori: "But of course, sir! Even before you restored me to life… sir, I'd do anything to be of use to you, because I…" /blushes.
The Professor: /turns and takes her hand.
Kaori: !
The Professor: /earnestly. "Miss K, it would be a terrible waste for you to be simply my secretary."
Kaori: /Yes! Yes! Yes!
The Professor: "—Which is why I think it's time we put you back in field operations."
Kaori: /Noooooooooooooooo… :(
The Professor: /stands up and starts to walk away. "Yes! That will work. You're the only one I can count on—"
Kaori: "No. Please."
The Professor: "—KAORINITE!"

Disturbingly Creepy Transformation Sequence
A red light kindles behind Kaori's tear-filled eyes. She is engulfed in brilliant flames that burn but do not warm. Her clothes and kinder feelings are seared away, and the flames coalesce and etch new ones into her: the black dress and attitude of a vampire queen, with an immense dull gemstone dangling between her copious breasts. KAORINITE, MISTRESS OF THE NIGHT, IS REBORN!

Kaorinite: /ninja leaps away.

Ackbar's Plant Shoppe
Grand opening today! Guaranteed not to kill you while you sleep at night! A crowd gathers.

Tellur, cleverly disguised as a humble garden shop proprietor: "Why not try the Tellurn? Needs no water, fertilizer, or light!"
Tellur: "In fact, it does better if you give it no personal attention whatsoever! Why, simply turn your back to it and ignore whatever it's doing, whatever scratching noises or poisonous odors it emits—it'll be fine!"
Tellur: "This flower will bring you happiness in just 2 to 3 days. (Results not guaranteed. Details and restrictions apply.)"
Some Gal: "I don't know. It sounds good, but I'm still undecided."
Tellur: "How much would you expect to pay for true happiness? We can offer it for the low, low cost of ¥10 per plant!"
Some Gal: "SOLD! Let's buy 'em, everybody!"
The Crowd: "Yay!"
Sailor Pluto: /just happens by.
Sailor Pluto: /facepalm.

That Night
Everywhere a Tellurn has been planted, it energy-drains every other plant nearby.

The Next Day
Chibi-Usa running very fast. Usagi and cats in pursuit.

Usagi: /gasp pant. "Would you PLEASE tell me why we are stalking the Amazing Bullet-Girl? She said she was just going for a walk…"
Artemis: "And you trust her alone at a time like this?"
Usagi: "I don't have the energy not to! But seriously, why?"
Luna: "Usagi, put yourself in her place. If your best friend disappeared under mysterious circumstances and you knew someone was out to kill her, what would you do?"
Usagi: "I'd damn the consequences and run off to find and save h— Ohhhhhhh!"
Usagi: /motherly smile. "Such a troublesome child."
Luna: "You and your daughter are very much alike."
Usagi: "…NOT YET."
Luna: "Well, she IS."
Usagi: "I haven't had the fun of making her yet!"
Luna: "You're not supposed to know about that part yet!"
Usagi: "Gee whiz, Luna, I'm not a little kid!"
Luna: "Artemis, back me up here, she's too young for this, right?"
Artemis: /is horribly embarrassed by this turn of conversation. "Er… well, it all depends…"
Usagi: "Oh, so I'm too young for the one thing, but I have to act grown up for the rest?"
Luna: "No! I'm just saying, y'know, take your time…"
Artemis: /Subject Changing Prana. "Hey! Isn't that the Mugen Academy right over there? And isn't that Chibi-Usa making a beeline for the door?"
Usagi and Luna: "FRELL!"

Mugen Academy: Front Gate
Chibi-Usa sneaks up the steps and peers in through the glass doors. Even she can tell that something is deeply wrong with this place. It's broad daylight and yet the entire ground floor appears to be empty, with not even a janitor or security guard in sight. Not a soul comes in or out.

Chibi-Usa: /plucks up her courage. "I'm comin' for you, Hotaru."
Usagi: /plucks up her daughter honorary cousin. "I've come for you, Chibi-Usa."
Chibi-Usa: "Luna-P, I told you to watch for strangers!"
Luna-P: /avoids eye-contact.

And So
Usagi: /lecture mode. "Come on, Chibi-Usa, you know this stuff! Superheroing means a team! It's dangerous to go alone! You didn't even take this!" /holds up a cat.
Artemis: "Meow?"
Chibi-Usa: "But it's obvious the bad guys are holding Hotaru there! I want to save her."
Usagi: /kindly. "We ALL want to save her, sweetheart. And we WILL, together."
Chibi-Usa: "Promise?"
Usagi: "Cross my heart, hope to die, double pinky swear no take-backs."
Chibi-Usa: /is mollified.

Darth Hotaru's Isolation Chamber
Hisssssss… click… hissssssss… click… hisssssssss-CLUNK.

Hotaru: /wakes up.
Hotaru: "…wwwwuurrrrrrghhh… bluh… Chibi-Usa… wha…?"
Hotaru: /staggers to her feet. "…what am I doing… here? …Chibi-Usa…"

A Laboratory Somewhere
Sailor Pluto apparently has an off-the-books arrangement with a local science lab. She has one of the "Tellurn" plants in a terrarium under sensors and lights, and is busily running an analytical program.

Sailor Pluto: (Hmm. It directly absorbs and transmutes elements from contact, which proves this is no Earthly plant. I wonder what form this trap takes?)

As if in response to her question, the sensors register an increase on the red, infrared, and EHF spectra, followed by a dramatic increase in mass and energy output. Pluto leaps to her feet and spins around just in time to see the flower shatter the test chamber with hungry tendrils of energy. Before she can think, it reaches for her.

Suddenly! There is a flash of light, and the attack ends. Between Pluto and the flower floats the Key—

Sailor Pluto: "The Garnet Rod!"

Have you even mentioned that title before, lady? Seriously, that's why I gave it the other name in the first place. All right, the Garnet Rod floats between them, and soaks up the evil energy with casual indifference. The plant expends itself uselessly and dies. Clearly, the Rod acts to defend its mistress.

Sailor Pluto seems shocked. She didn't know it could do that. She realizes that she's apparently missed a lot sitting at the Gate all this time.

A scientist: /pokes his head into the room. "Everything okay, ma'am?"
Sailor Pluto: "No. But thank you."

On the Street Somewhere
Hotaru managed to find clothes and a way up to street level, somehow. Her skin is clammy and pale, her eyes glazed, her hair limp with sweat. She puts one foot in front of the other mechanically.

Tellur: /shop just happens to be nearby. "Good evening, miss! How would you—?"
Hotaru: "…?"
Tellur: "…Would you like to try one of our flowers that bring happiness?"
Hotaru: "…flower…?"
Tellur: "Yes!"
Hotaru: "…happiness…?"
Tellur: "Yes. This flower."
Hotaru: "This flower."
Tellur: "Yes, this flower. This is a flower that brings happiness."
Hotaru: "Brings happiness."
Tellur: "Yes. Would you like one?"
Hotaru: "…A flower. Brings happiness."
Tellur: "Yes! This flower here. Would you like to be happy?"
Hotaru: "I… have no money."
Tellur: "That's okay, dear! This is my last one—"
Hotaru: "Last one."
Tellur: "Yes, my last one today. So I can give it to you!"
Hotaru: "Give it… to me?"
Tellur: "Yes, it's a gift!"
Hotaru: "A gift?"
Tellur: "Yes."
Hotaru: "I could… give it to Chibi-Usa."
Tellur: "Yes. Give it to your friend!"
Hotaru: "Yes. I could give it to Chibi-Usa. A flower that brings happiness. For me?"
Tellur: "For you."
Hotaru: "Thank you. Thank you very much."
Tellur: "See? It's working already! Have a good day, now!"
Hotaru: "Yes. Thank you! Thank you."
Hotaru: /clutches the flower pot to her chest and runs off.
Tellur: "…Eeeeeeesh. That kid's almost plant food already. Wonder what's up with her? Oh, well, doesn't matter."

Tsukino Residence
Doorbell.

Chibi-Usa: "OMG HOTARU!"
Hotaru: "Chibi-Usa." /weak smile.
Usagi, Luna, Artemis: "Really?! She's alive?!"
Chibi-Usa: /frowns and closes the door in their faces.
Usagi: "Hey!"

Chibi-Usa and Hotaru go down the front walk to talk; Usagi and the cats spy on them through the window.

Chibi-Usa: "I'm so glad you're okay how did you escape are you all right you look tired I was so worried!"
Hotaru: "…uh… here!" /hands Chibi-Usa the flower.
Chibi-Usa: "Whoa! Neat! What kind of flower is this?"
Hotaru: /takes a step back. "I… don't know. The lady said it would bring happiness. I thought… I thought it'd be perfect for you."
Chibi-Usa: /takes a step forward. "Thank you! But you should have one, too!"
Hotaru: /leans heavily against the wall.. "N-no. No. I shouldn't."
Chibi-Usa: /takes another step forward."Why not? You should be happy, too!"
Hotaru: /sinks slowly down the wall. "N-no. I… I hurt others. Without knowing it."
Chibi-Usa: /reaches for her. "But Usagi says everybody does that by accident sometimes."
Hotaru: /starts to curl up into a ball. "No, I mean… there's another self… inside me. That I don't know about."
Chibi-Usa: /leans over Hotaru, concerned.
Hotaru: /ducks head. "That's why I'm afraid… I'm afraid to make friends. But… but you… you…"
Hotaru: /slumps.
Chibi-Usa: ?!
Usagi: /opens the front door and leaps forward to apply first a—
Hotaru(?): /ZOOOOOOL. "I want your pure heart!"
Hotaru(?): /reaches for Chibi-Usa's neck.
Everybody else: ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Hotaru(?): "…"
Hotaru: "…I… What did I… just…? It…"
Hotaru: /terrified. "Chibi-Usa, SAVE ME! I'm afraid! HELP ME!"

Suddenly!
ENTER Kaorinite, dramatically!

Kaorinite: "I've come to pick up Hotaru from her play-date! Hohohohohoho!"
Chibi-Usa: "No!"
Kaorinite: /blows Chibi-Usa away.
Usagi: /applies Fenix Down.

EXIT Kaorinite, mysteriously, carrying Hotaru.

Chibi-Usa: "HOTARRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!"

Debriefing at the Tsukino Residence
Usagi: "I told you she wasn't dead!"
Artemis: "But nobody could have survived that fall! …I'll shut up now."
Chibi-Usa: /cradles the potted plant and cries. "I couldn't protect her!"
Luna: "Don't blame yourself."
Usagi: /hugs. "Yeah. We couldn't ninja leap after her, and we need the whole team rested and ready to hit that ghost school together."
Chibi-Usa: "I know! But I feel awful! She came to me to help, and I could only watch!"
Luna: "You need to think of this like a cat."
Chibi-Usa: "You mean, pretend I meant to do that? But that'd be awful!"
Luna: "No, I mean pretend you meant to do that, then leave a present in Kaorinite's shoes and piddle on her laundry. Metaphorically speaking, of course."
Artemis: "It's obvious they need Hotaru alive, so they probably won't hurt her much while we're preparing to go in."
Chibi-Usa: "She looked really sick, though. They may be doing experiments on her!"
Usagi: "We'll get her soon, never fear. We Sailors stick together, right?"
Sailor Pluto: "…Good afternoon."
Sailor Pluto: /hesitates at the entrance to the yard, aware that she may not be a welcome visitor.
Sailor Pluto: /suddenly flips out and throws Chibi-Usa's plant across the yard.
Everybody else: "HEY WHAT TH—?!"

Where the pot smashed, all the grass around the Tellurn plant turns brown and withers. The Tellurn itself sparks a few times, then dies.

Everybody else: "…oh."
Sailor Pluto: "I'm sorry, Small Lady. How did you get that flower?"
Chibi-Usa: "Hotaru gave it to—"
Chibi-Usa: /Cookie Jar Evasion Technique. "I mean, I found it."
Sailor Pluto: /sadly. "She may be after YOUR pure heart, Small Lady."
Usagi: "You recognized it right away, 'Setsuna'. Don't tell me—?"
Sailor Pluto: /nods.
Luna: "Let me guess: A new plant shop is having a free giveaway of a rare, never-before-seen variety with supposedly helpful effects. Jeez, when will these people learn? I swear, if you could program computers do run these scams, it'd never end!"
Usagi: "So maybe Hotaru was just tricked like everyone else."
Sailor Pluto: "Perhaps. I honestly do not know."
Usagi: /thinking. "Huh. Usually by this point the bad guys would have learned not to do the old freebie routine. I guess now that Sailor Saturn is awake, they're in a hurry, too?"
Sailor Pluto: /nods. "As you have been so effective in preventing them from gathering pure hearts singly, I suspect they are now trawling for quantity."
Luna: "So what do you propose to do with us?"
Sailor Pluto: "To destroy them at the source. YOU have the Grail."
Usagi: "I'm in. Let me make a phone call."
Chibi-Usa: "I'll help! Let me help! I'll PROVE Hotaru had nothing to do with it!"

Soon After: In Front of the Little Shop
The initial boom has passed, but customers are still going in and out, and the hired doo-wop chorus is singing away by the front door.

Usagi: "Okay, first thing we—"
Chibi-Usa: "We sneak around to the back entrance. I'll open the lock with Luna-P while Puu keeps watch, then Usagi goes in first and I'll follow. Let's go!"
Usagi: "…Yeah, what she said."
Sailor Pluto: /smiles.

Inside
The plants are throughout the city, the store is full of customers: it's showtime.

Tellur: /hums "Mean Green Mother From Outer Space" and strolls over to the security system.
Tellur: "Ladies and gentleman, my dear customers, you are very lucky today—"
Customers: /look at Tellur expectantly.
Tellur: /presses a button.

Steel shutters slam across every outside door and window. While everyone is distracted, Tellur reveals a black-and-green dress that involves a lot of fishnet and tries to evoke leaves or petals.

Customers: ?!

Tellur: "—because you're about to feed the loveliest plants in the world!"
Some Angry Guy: "Look out, she's one of them supervillains! Quick, get her!"
Some Angry Guy: /charges Tellur.
Tellur: /presses another button.

Nozzles spray deadly neurotoxin into the room. Everybody except Tellur screams and falls to the ground, choking and writhing. At the taste of their anguish, all the Tellurn plants open up and start glowing. Their twisted energies draw the soul crystals out of everyone in the store, illuminating the whole room with their subtle glow. Tellur cheerfully scoops them up with a special Dark Star glove.

STARKLY CORUSCANT TRANSFORMATION SEQUENCE COUNTER
  • Usagi into:
    • Cosmic Class Sailor Moon: 19
  • Setsuna into:
    • Sailor Pluto: 4
  • Chibi-Usa into:
    • Sailor Chibi-Moon: 7

Suddenly!
ENTER Sailors Moon, Pluto, and Chibi-Moon, dramatically.

Usagi: "A flower's life is short and filled with pain! I can't forgive using such poor things for bad deeds! For love and justice etc.!"
Tellur: "Ha! As if you care about my pretties!"
Tellur: /strokes chin. "But I must congratulate you on figuring out my plot so swiftly. It seems the Sailor Scouts are more clever than I thought."
Chibi-Usa: "There's nothing to figure out, you big n00b! ALL the bad guys try this one first!"
Tellur: /sweat-drop. "Er…*no, I came up with this by myself…"
Usagi and Sailor Pluto: "It shows."
Chibi-Usa: "Lame! Lame! Poser villain!"
Usagi: "Look, obviously you're new at this, so how about you surrender now and try again later?"
Tellur: "SILENCE! The mighty Tellur shall HAVE your hearts!"

Battle is Joined!
Blam blam, dodge dodge, and so on.

Usagi: "Okay, I admit that having millions of flowers to shoot beams at us is a clever twist."
Chibi-Usa: "So we'll just blow them all up! O Pink Moon Stick, lend me your powers!"
Chibi-Usa: /strikes pose. "Chibi! Chibi! Chibi-Moon! HOOOOOOO!"

Verp… vorp… vurp… nothing happens.

Tellur: "Bwahahahahaha! Who's the newbie now?!"
Chibi-Usa: "Chibi-Moon Hooooo please?"

CHIBI-MOON > BEGINNER RITUALISM > PINKSUGAR > TELLURN
Chibi-Moon casts love at Tellurn!
Tellurn are hit.
Tellurn are hurt!

Sailor Pluto: "You see, Small Lady? 'Please' IS a magic word."
Usagi: "My future self really programmed that in?"
Sailor Pluto: "Actually, it was the King's idea, and Venus did the enchanting, but—"
Tellur: "IMPUDENT FOOLS!"

Tellur casts vines at Chibi-Usa!
Chibi-Usa fails to dodge!
INSTINCT COUNTER BREAK: Sailor Pluto performs Daring Last-Moment SAVE!
Sailor Pluto drops the Garnet Rod!
Sailor Pluto is hit instead!
Sailor Pluto is hurt badly!
Sailor Pluto is down!

Suddenly!
ENTER Tuxedo Mask, dramatically, armed with +3 blessed heat-seeking throwing roses.

MAMORU > THROW > TARGET ATTACK > TELLUR
Mamoru casts a rose at Tellur.
Tellur's attack is disrupted!
USAGI > ITEM > H.POTION > SAILOR PLUTO[/i]

Mamoru: "Flowers are supposed to bring serenity to human beings! I will not allow using them for evil!"
Usagi: "'Serenity'! Niiiice."
Mamoru: /bows.
Tellur: "How the heck did you get in here?"
Mamoru: "Skylight. You forgot to put a shutter across it."
Usagi: "She's new."
Mamoru: "I can see that."
Tellur: "Enough with that! So I'm new! Everyone's new at some point! But like all new seedlings I shall flower, and blossom, and—"

STARKLY CORUSCANT TRANSFORMATION SEQUENCE COUNTER
  • Usagi into:
    • Crisis Mode Sailor Moon: 12

USAGI > GRAIL-TECH > HEART ATTACK > ALL FOE
Usagi casts concentrated love at Tellurn!
Usagi casts concentrated love at Tellur!
INSTINCT COUNTER BREAK: Tellur performs Daring Last-Moment SAVE!
Tellur saves 1 Tellurn.
Tellur dodges!
Tellurn are hit.
Tellurn are obliterated!
Tellurn are hit.
Tellurn are obliterated!
Tellurn are hit.
Tellurn are obliterated!
Tellur dodges!

Usagi: /depowers wearily. "Phew… still haven't rested up from the last one…"
Tellur: crying. "What about what you said about protecting the poor flowers?! Now I'm getting angry! You won't like me when I'm angry!"
Mamoru: "No, no, Poison Ivy doesn't say that, that's the Hulk—"
Tellur: "I can have multiple inspirations, can't I?! So here's another!"

Tellur seizes a syringe and injects its contents into the roots of her last surviving plant. The Tellurn throbs and grows with fantastic speed, shattering the pot and bursting from her arms. By the time it hits the ground, it's grown to four meters in height, grazing the ceiling. It growls and opens multiple toothy blooms. Its leaves quiver in anticipation.

Mamoru: /doesn't even flinch.
Usagi: /mutters. "Awww, nuts. I'm gonna get bondaged again…" /but steps up anyway.
Tellur: "You like? This Hyper-Tellurn is special. Once it awakens, it grabs anything in range, and after extracting the pure heart, it self-destructs, along with the owner of the heart."
Hyper-Tellurn: /shifts and rustles…
Mamoru: /doesn't take his eyes off Tellur.
Tellur: /picks up her Dark Star Soul Receptacle and turns to go. "I'll leave it to handle you, while I deliver this to the Professor! Ta-ta!"
Mamoru: "No."

MAMORU > THROW > TARGET ATTACK > TELLUR
Mamoru casts a rose at Tellur!
Tellur drops Dark Star Soul Receptacle!

The Receptacle hits the ground and breaks, spilling forth all its glowing crystals. Before Tellur can do anything, her Hyper-Tellurn awakens. As she's the first thing in range, it immediately grabs her with all its tendrils.

Tellur: "Unhand me you fool! Let go, I say! Hey, not there! Ow! Obey me, I am your creator! OBEY ME! No! This cannot be!"

Tellur fights back with her own vine attacks at full power. The Hyper-Tellurn becomes enraged and matches her strength. She shrieks and kicks and blasts, again and again, but the killer flower implacably fulfills its programming. It wraps its leaves and petals about her, and begins to spark.

The self-destruct blast is blinding. Tellur and her plants are no more.

Usagi: "She died as she lived…"
Mamoru: "…spouting adventure show clichés to the last."
Usagi: "Somehow, I felt a strange kinship with her."

Aftermath
Everyone blinks the spots out of their eyes. Usagi and Mamoru start shoving soul crystals back in people while they talk.

Usagi: "Tux, have I ever mentioned how awesome you are?"
Mamoru: "Not today."
Usagi: "You're awesome."
Mamoru: "As are you. How's Sailor Pluto?"
Chibi-Usa: /applies Potions. "Puu! Hang in there, Puu!"
Sailor Pluto: "…Small Lady?"
Usagi: /practiced eye. "Looks like she's coming around."

Usagi notices something on the floor, dropped by Tellur.

Mamoru: "What is it?"
Usagi: "It's a student handbook from Mugen Academy. Someone named 'Lulu Teruno'. Oh. Oh, dear."
Mamoru: "'Tellur'. She just mixed up her real name. Has green hair, too."
Usagi: /disturbed. "Honey, lookat this."
Sailor Pluto: /staggers over to look over their shoulders.
Mamoru: "It's all just class schedules and classmate's phone numbers."
Usagi: "She's got the same sort of goofy pictures of her and her friends that I have in mine. She dots her I's with hearts and put in pony stickers. This isn't a villain's notebook. She was a girl like me."
Mamoru: "You think something MADE her a villain? …Damn. That's not funny."
Usagi: "I feel sorry for heckling her now. Shit. It's the monsters inside people again. Maybe we could have even saved her, like the others. Shit!"
Mamoru: "Don't feel too bad, dear. We didn't figure on her own daimon attacking her."
Sailor Pluto: "It wasn't a daimon, but yes."
Mamoru: "You noticed she said, 'The Professor'?"
Usagi: "Yeah."
Sailor Pluto: "That does provide more evidence against Tomoe and the Academy."
Usagi: "Yeah, but… heck, you brought us here to this trap. Maybe YOU'RE working for them."
Sailor Pluto: "That is a reasonable hypothesis."
Usagi: "I didn't mean it that way, sorry."
Chibi-Usa: "But if people are being made into monsters—that means it's not Hotaru's fault!"
Sailor Pluto: "Perhaps. But people do get hurt even when it's not their fault."
Chibi-Usa: "But I believe in her! She's my friend, and we'll save her, I swear!"

Denouement
Usagi: "Er… uh… I had a thought."
Mamoru: "What?"
Usagi: "Are we sure we put all the soul crystals back in the right people? We kind of had to guess about some of them."
Mamoru: "Errrrr… probably best not to think about it. I mean, they SEEMED okay."
Usagi: "Yeah, I guess."

Morilore

Retired User
Re: Episode #121: A Mystic Flower That Steals Hearts! The Third Witch, Tellur!

Usagi: "All right, begging didn't work. Let's try logic! Go!"
That didn't actually happen in the show, did it? I mean, I remember thinking that this exact thing was why I still sympathized with Haruka. True, the Outers are just stubbornly refusing to talk, but Usagi et al have offered literally nothing but platitudes. Just like that time at the aquarium. I mean:
1) Minako: "—but we've been putting our lives on the line for those ideals since before you Exalted. We're not just talkin' out of our asses, here."
2) Usagi: "Yeah, I killed my boyfriend once to save the world! Admittedly, the timeline changed after and he wasn't technically my boyfriend yet, but…"
3) Rei: "And there may still be time. Between Mercury and Venus we have crazy plans to burn."
4) Mamoru: "And let me point out that while you MAY be correct, but you've made very little effort to convince us that you ARE trustworthy besides shouting louder. If you have time to attend coffeehouses, surely you can drop an hour to show us your evidence."
Because 1-3 didn't happen in the show, I feel like I should reflect 4 back on our heroes. It's true that that's probably partially because they can't get the jerks to sit down for five minutes, and yet I feel like if the show did depict them all sitting down and talking, canon-Usagi still would be speaking in exactly the same way.

Usagi: /disturbed. "Honey, lookat this."
Sailor Pluto: /staggers over to look over their shoulders.
Mamoru: "It's all just class schedules and classmate's phone numbers."
Usagi: "She's got the same sort of goofy pictures of her and her friends that I have in mine. She dots her I's with hearts and put in pony stickers. This isn't a villain's notebook. She was a girl like me."
Mamoru: "You think something MADE her a villain? …Damn. That's not funny."
Usagi: "I feel sorry for heckling her now. Shit. It's the monsters inside people again. Maybe we could have even saved her, like the others. Shit!"
Not only are the characters in this show growing up, it's expecting its audience to grow up, too. The villains in earlier seasons had "EVIL" clearly stapled to their foreheads. Not anymore, even though this time, the villain's plans literally boil down to "mass murder." I had a similar thought about the Ackbar trap - earlier Ackbar traps were clearly associated with some sort of human foible that the writers were obviously criticizing. Vanity, or time-crunching, or faddishness, and so forth. Here, they don't take the time for that.

Usagi: "Er… uh… I had a thought."
Mamoru: "What?"
Usagi: "Are we sure we put all the soul crystals back in the right people? We kind of had to guess about some of them."
Mamoru: "Errrrr… probably best not to think about it. I mean, they SEEMED okay."
Usagi: "Yeah, I guess."
Here's a creepier thought: what the fuck happened to the hundreds of other people who bought the plant?

Vehrec

Validated User

Ten yen...that's like charging one dime for goodness sake. Does Japan even have that denomination? *checks* Oh...I guess they do. It LOOKS a lot like a penny though, in shape and color. How can you not tell this is an Ackbar? Maybe she should have charged more and turned a profit...not that she would have collected. You have to feel bad for ammeters like this, the Dark Agency was more skillful, though less powerful than these Witches.

Now, on to an issue that relfects future episodes-why does Sailor Saturn demand pure hearts??

Kelly Pedersen

Validated User

Ten yen...that's like charging one dime for goodness sake. Does Japan even have that denomination? *checks* Oh...I guess they do. It LOOKS a lot like a penny though, in shape and color.
If I recall correctly, around the time Sailor Moon was coming out, the yen to dollar exchange rate was roughly 100 to 1. So 10 yen is about a dime.

Vehrec said:
How can you not tell this is an Ackbar?
One can only assume that, sometime in the past, there was severe selective pressure on the population of Juuban in favor of bargain-hunting behavior. No doubt it served an adaptive purpose in the past, but now a new predator is taking advantage of the behaviors produced, with tragic results for the population </biologist>

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User

That didn't actually happen in the show, did it? I mean, I remember thinking that this exact thing was why I still sympathized with Haruka. True, the Outers are just stubbornly refusing to talk, but Usagi et al have offered literally nothing but platitudes.
This is yet another of the moments where I'm putting my own commentary into the characters' mouths—as discussed before, we've seen the Inner Sailors walk the walk—but some of it is close to what they say. Rei in particular does give a "let's all work together" line, which could be a platitude, but it's also honest; they've done some crazy things with Planet Power and all that.

If they did have a sit down and all the Inners had to offer was platitude, there's criticism, but Haruka's been firm on avoiding them. Heck, she herself has been a personal beneficiary of Usagi's philosophy. Perhaps that's part of what's motivating her—"If she'll heal a scumbag like me, she'll heal these villains without a second thought!"—but we haven't seen either.

What I guess it comes to is that I like it when enemies have clearly stated reasons for not getting along, rather than just snarling at each other. :p

Here's a creepier thought: what the fuck happened to the hundreds of other people who bought the plant?
It looked to me like Tellur hadn't actually had a chance to activate them yet, so a bunch of people's gardens and greenhouses get wilted, and then the new plants die, too.

Morilore

Retired User

What I guess it comes to is that I like it when enemies have clearly stated reasons for not getting along, rather than just snarling at each other. :p
uuuuugggghhh knowing spoilers is so frustrating

..but I mean, Sailor Pluto did pretty much lay it out, didn't she? "We don't want to involve you because we don't think you are capable of killing if it is necessary." And we the audience remember that once upon a time, she was, but in universe she hasn't offered that fact.

Last edited:

Ikselam

may one day be worthy of your grace
Validated User

That didn't actually happen in the show, did it? I mean, I remember thinking that this exact thing was why I still sympathized with Haruka. True, the Outers are just stubbornly refusing to talk, but Usagi et al have offered literally nothing but platitudes.
Do they really count as platitudes when more often than not, love/friendship/optimism/etc. actually have saved the day in a fairly direct and literal fashion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom