• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IWIW Sailor Moon] Thread 10: The Saturnine hive-mind of chaos waits behind the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morilore

Retired User
Re: Episode #121: A Mystic Flower That Steals Hearts! The Third Witch, Tellur!

Do they really count as platitudes when more often than not, love/friendship/optimism/etc. actually have saved the day in a fairly direct and literal fashion?
...have they? Could it be that our heroes are simple blessed with enormous power by the whim of the stars, which gets called the "power of love" etc. because they're good people and they believe in those things? We see this universe through the eyes of the characters. Could it be that the characters we see are simply extraordinarily lucky? And more to the point, what does the universe look like through the eyes of Sailors Uranus and Neptune?

Ununnilium

Retired User

...have they? Could it be that our heroes are simple blessed with enormous power by the whim of the stars, which gets called the "power of love" etc. because they're good people and they believe in those things? We see this universe through the eyes of the characters. Could it be that the characters we see are simply extraordinarily lucky?
...well, no. Because it acts in a way that perfectly correlates with the subjective experience of love. I mean, correlation isn't causation, but when things work this exactly it's foolish not to assume cause and effect, at least as a working hypothesis.

And, really, that's the problem with Uranus and Neptune's viewpoint: they've blinded themselves to other options because they're afraid they won't have the courage to carry out the one option that they know will work (or so they think). But in doing so, they do a grave disservice to people who, far from being "lucky", have put blood, sweat and tears into defending this planet.

Hilarion

Validated User

Should we assume you aren't going to bother to learn how to draw this witch? ;)

Also, she's a real breakdown of the "evil opposite of the Senshi" motif. Outside of the fondness for nature and the color green, she has nothing in common with Sailor Jupiter.

Edit: the revival of Kaolinite is pretty sad. She clearly prefers being Kaori.

Also I liked your reaction to the Garnet Rod's naming, 40 eps late.

Last edited:

Ikselam

may one day be worthy of your grace
Validated User

...have they? Could it be that our heroes are simple blessed with enormous power by the whim of the stars, which gets called the "power of love" etc. because they're good people and they believe in those things? We see this universe through the eyes of the characters. Could it be that the characters we see are simply extraordinarily lucky? And more to the point, what does the universe look like through the eyes of Sailors Uranus and Neptune?
If it quacks like a duck, etc.

And clearly the world does look different if you're looking at it from the Outers' perspective, but at this point I don't think they have a credible excuse for not realizing that love and justice is something of an "I win" button for Sailor Moon, even if it isn't for them. Haruka doesn't want to talk it out because she is afraid that Usagi & Friends are right. (Setsuna doesn't want to talk it out because I don't know, probably some kind of mysterious timey-wimey thing. Michiru doesn't want to talk it out because she's kind of passive and follows the other two's lead.)

My interpretation, not necessarily yours, and so on.

Morilore

Retired User

...well, no. Because it acts in a way that perfectly correlates with the subjective experience of love. I mean, correlation isn't causation, but when things work this exactly it's foolish not to assume cause and effect, at least as a working hypothesis.
Do you think anyone in the Sailor Moon universe could summon up a magic pink love ray? If so, why don't we see more of that? EDIT: Answer anticipated: Sailor Moon is nominally an avatar of a goddess of love. Let me think more on this.
And, really, that's the problem with Uranus and Neptune's viewpoint: they've blinded themselves to other options because they're afraid they won't have the courage to carry out the one option that they know will work (or so they think).
But this is my whole point. The Inner Senshi are saying "there must be another way!" They aren't saying "if we all believe that there is another way, our power level will go up 35 jiggawatts!"
But in doing so, they do a grave disservice to people who, far from being "lucky", have put blood, sweat and tears into defending this planet.
And have also been lucky. Or maybe not "lucky" considering the awful they've experienced, but due to chance. If you have superpowers because you are the reincarnation of the magical nobility of an ancient space kingdom, that's not virtue. What you do with those powers is virtue. Sailor Moon didn't beat Metallia with only the power of love. It also required a powerful magic crystal.

Last edited:

Morilore

Retired User

If it quacks like a duck, etc.

And clearly the world does look different if you're looking at it from the Outers' perspective, but at this point I don't think they have a credible excuse for not realizing that love and justice is something of an "I win" button for Sailor Moon, even if it isn't for them. Haruka doesn't want to talk it out because she is afraid that Usagi & Friends are right. (Setsuna doesn't want to talk it out because I don't know, probably some kind of mysterious timey-wimey thing. Michiru doesn't want to talk it out because she's kind of passive and follows the other two's lead.)
My perspective on this whole thing is different on every point here, but I guess I've already communicated that.

Ikselam

may one day be worthy of your grace
Validated User

Even if no one else on the planet can use the power of love to transform into a magical princess and perform miracles, Sailor Moon is right there. She and her friends are deeply involved in this fiasco. Two whole previous series have taught them that Power of Love + Millennium Crystal = Epic Win. It would make no sense for them to not approach it as they have previous threats to themselves/their loved ones/all creation just because Sailor Uranus is there saying, "You guys are just little kids, you don't understand that to survive in this cruel, uncaring world you've gotta be a hard magical girl who makes hard choices!"

Morilore

Retired User

Even if no one else on the planet can use the power of love to transform into a magical princess and perform miracles, Sailor Moon is right there. She and her friends are deeply involved in this fiasco. Two whole previous series have taught them that Power of Love + Millennium Crystal = Epic Win. It would make no sense for them to not approach it as they have previous threats to themselves/their loved ones/all creation just because Sailor Uranus is there saying, "You guys are just little kids, you don't understand that to survive in this cruel, uncaring world you've gotta be a hard magical girl who makes hard choices!"
But of course. I'm not saying that the Inners' approach to the Death Busters is wrong. I'm talking about the conflict between the two groups of Senshi.

Shay Guy

Validated User

One can only assume that, sometime in the past, there was severe selective pressure on the population of Juuban in favor of bargain-hunting behavior. No doubt it served an adaptive purpose in the past, but now a new predator is taking advantage of the behaviors produced, with tragic results for the population </biologist>
"We only have to be asked, you see. We always have to be asked."

JohnBiles

Validated User

The Professor: "—Which is why I think it's time we put you back in field operations."
Kaori: /Noooooooooooooooo… :(
The Professor: /stands up and starts to walk away. "Yes! That will work. You're the only one I can count on—"
Kaori: "No. Please."
The Professor: "—KAORINITE!"
Poor Kaori.

Tellur, cleverly disguised as a humble garden shop proprietor: "Why not try the Tellurn? Needs no water, fertilizer, or light!"
Tellur: "In fact, it does better if you give it no personal attention whatsoever! Why, simply turn your back to it and ignore whatever it's doing, whatever scratching noises or poisonous odors it emits—it'll be fine!"
Tellur: "This flower will bring you happiness in just 2 to 3 days. (Results not guaranteed. Details and restrictions apply.)"
Some Gal: "I don't know. It sounds good, but I'm still undecided."
Tellur: "How much would you expect to pay for true happiness? We can offer it for the low, low cost of ¥10 per plant!"
Some Gal: "SOLD! Let's buy 'em, everybody!"
The Crowd: "Yay!"
Sailor Pluto: /just happens by.
Sailor Pluto: /facepalm.
Even with the homocidal component, there are days I wish real plants were that easy to take care of.

A Laboratory Somewhere
Sailor Pluto apparently has an off-the-books arrangement with a local science lab. She has one of the "Tellurn" plants in a terrarium under sensors and lights, and is busily running an analytical program.

Sailor Pluto: (Hmm. It directly absorbs and transmutes elements from contact, which proves this is no Earthly plant. I wonder what form this trap takes?)

As if in response to her question, the sensors register an increase on the red, infrared, and EHF spectra, followed by a dramatic increase in mass and energy output. Pluto leaps to her feet and spins around just in time to see the flower shatter the test chamber with hungry tendrils of energy. Before she can think, it reaches for her.

Suddenly! There is a flash of light, and the attack ends. Between Pluto and the flower floats the Key—

Sailor Pluto: "The Garnet Rod!"

Have you even mentioned that title before, lady? Seriously, that's why I gave it the other name in the first place. All right, the Garnet Rod floats between them, and soaks up the evil energy with casual indifference. The plant expends itself uselessly and dies. Clearly, the Rod acts to defend its mistress.

Sailor Pluto seems shocked. She didn't know it could do that. She realizes that she's apparently missed a lot sitting at the Gate all this time.

A scientist: /pokes his head into the room. "Everything okay, ma'am?"
Sailor Pluto: "No. But thank you."
I give Pluto some points here for being smart enough to test, then she loses them for having to be saved by her magical item. ^^;;

Tellur: /shop just happens to be nearby. "Good evening, miss! How would you—?"
Hotaru: "…?"
Tellur: "…Would you like to try one of our flowers that bring happiness?"
Hotaru: "…flower…?"
Tellur: "Yes!"
Hotaru: "…happiness…?"
Tellur: "Yes. This flower."
Hotaru: "This flower."
Tellur: "Yes, this flower. This is a flower that brings happiness."
Hotaru: "Brings happiness."
Tellur: "Yes. Would you like one?"
Hotaru: "…A flower. Brings happiness."
Tellur: "Yes! This flower here. Would you like to be happy?"
Hotaru: "I… have no money."
Tellur: "That's okay, dear! This is my last one—"
Hotaru: "Last one."
Tellur: "Yes, my last one today. So I can give it to you!"
Hotaru: "Give it… to me?"
Tellur: "Yes, it's a gift!"
Hotaru: "A gift?"
Tellur: "Yes."
Hotaru: "I could… give it to Chibi-Usa."
Tellur: "Yes. Give it to your friend!"
Hotaru: "Yes. I could give it to Chibi-Usa. A flower that brings happiness. For me?"
Tellur: "For you."
Hotaru: "Thank you. Thank you very much."
Tellur: "See? It's working already! Have a good day, now!"
Hotaru: "Yes. Thank you! Thank you."
Hotaru: /clutches the flower pot to her chest and runs off.
Tellur: "…Eeeeeeesh. That kid's almost plant food already. Wonder what's up with her? Oh, well, doesn't matter."
The interesting thing here is that Tellur doesn't know Hotaru's significance or even that she's the Professor's daughter.

Tellur: /strokes chin. "But I must congratulate you on figuring out my plot so swiftly. It seems the Sailor Scouts are more clever than I thought."
Chibi-Usa: "There's nothing to figure out, you big n00b! ALL the bad guys try this one first!"
Heh! Yeah, and she won't get a chance to learn from this.

Usagi: "Okay, I admit that having millions of flowers to shoot beams at us is a clever twist."
Doesn't that basically happen in the R movie?

Tellur: /picks up her Dark Star Soul Receptacle and turns to go. "I'll leave it to handle you, while I deliver this to the Professor! Ta-ta!"
Mamoru: "No."

MAMORU > THROW > TARGET ATTACK > TELLUR
Mamoru casts a rose at Tellur!
Tellur drops Dark Star Soul Receptacle!

The Receptacle hits the ground and breaks, spilling forth all its glowing crystals. Before Tellur can do anything, her Hyper-Tellurn awakens. As she's the first thing in range, it immediately grabs her with all its tendrils.

Tellur: "Unhand me you fool! Let go, I say! Hey, not there! Ow! Obey me, I am your creator! OBEY ME! No! This cannot be!"

Tellur fights back with her own vine attacks at full power. The Hyper-Tellurn becomes enraged and matches her strength. She shrieks and kicks and blasts, again and again, but the killer flower implacably fulfills its programming. It wraps its leaves and petals about her, and begins to spark.

The self-destruct blast is blinding. Tellur and her plants are no more.
This is one of Mamoru's really great moments of getting to just flat out save the day and take a major foe out.

Denouement
Usagi: "Er… uh… I had a thought."
Mamoru: "What?"
Usagi: "Are we sure we put all the soul crystals back in the right people? We kind of had to guess about some of them."
Mamoru: "Errrrr… probably best not to think about it. I mean, they SEEMED okay."
Usagi: "Yeah, I guess."
Now we know the real secret of why Happousai is a pervert...

He has the soul of a laundry operator! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom