• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IWIW Sailor Moon] Thread 8: Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of Science?

dshaffer

Pervy Catgirl Fancier
Validated User
Princess/Queen mode is when she turns Alicorn, the wings are more appropriate here for reasons I'm not really going to get into.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Question for Shadowjack: You've seen enough S by now to know how the Death Busters (I cannot take that name seriously, even after all these years) operate.
I think it's an awesome name, but it's the wrong name for their style of organization. I'd expect the Death Busters to be, say, a sentai team, and so far there's been no sign that the lady scientists have color-coded leotards and Science!-themed motorcycle helmets.

If you were in the Prof's position, how would you streamline the Talisman-collecting process? It seems to me that the Death Busters have a much harder task than either the Dark Kingdom or the Dark Moon Clan did: Dark Kingdom just needed energy from anyone, and they knew who the 7 Wizards from Hell were, just as the Dark Moon Clan knew where the Crystal Points were and what general area the Rabbit was in. Should the Death Busters just keep shooting random people across Tokyo, or are they missing a better strategy?
The problem they've got is that they haven't any bloody clue what a "pure heart" actually looks like. Statistically, they might as well shoot random people, because any methodology they pick is effectively random anyway.

Now, Uranus and Neptune have an excuse for being a bit rushed in their activities: They keep having nightmares warning them that THE END IS COMING REAL SOON NOW. But I've seen no signs that the Professor is in such a hurry; he's enjoying himself crafting bespoke demongirls, and doesn't seem terribly concerned about the competition. So his problem is a gross failure to apprehend scale: During the daytime, there are between 15 and 16 million people in Tokyo. And it clearly takes several days to prepare each attack. He could be at this for centuries. Millennia, even.

What he should be doing is leaving off the Talisman hunt until he actually knows what he's looking for. Hit the books, run some experiments, do some divinations, anything to figure out what a "pure heart" is or isn't and narrow down the numbers.

Similarly, if you were in Team Moon's position, wouldn't you borrow Luna-P and go, "Hi, Pluto-san, hook me up with future Sailor Mercury. Hi, Ami-chan, do you remember fighting the *giggle* *snort* Death Busters? Could you tell us where their headquarters are and what we can expect? Also, do you know why they chose that name? Thanks." I mean, Pluto would almost definitely say "No, I can't let you make that call," but it'd be worth a shot, right?
It would be worth a shot, but, yeah, it probably goes like this:

Pluto: "Nope."
Usagi: "But why not?!"
Pluto: "Owls."
Usagi: "…Owls?"
Pluto: "I've said too much." /end of line.
Ami: "I've heard of Hounds of Tindalos, but owls?"

Also, the butterfly effect probably does wacky confusing timey-wimey things. It's entirely possible that you can get to the same future Crystal Tokyo by different routes, so whatever worked in the future timeline may not necessarily work in this timeline because quantum uncertainty is a mocking bitch.

Re: charlieluce

Pony Usagi. D'awwwwww. Got a good badass expression, too.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Codename Sailor V, Volume 3: Sailor V Arrives! "Channel 44" Pandora's Ambition.

Framing Device

Rei: "¿Did you have any missions that we can actually verify, or will this all be 'Mina's Fantastic Story Hour'?"
Usagi: "I like Mina's Fantastic Story Hour."
Ami: "I do, too, dear, but I feel we should maintain at least a passing acquaintance with the truth."
Mina: "So do I! It makes it more fun that way."
Mako: "Well, then…?"
Mina: "Uh… well, there's the time I stole the Pandora poster."
Rei: "¿Wait, the idol? ¿That Pandora? Uh, not that I follow idol singers or anything."
Usagi: "I remember Pandora. She was cute!"
Mako: "Could she sing?"
Usagi: "Does it matter?"
Mina: "I'll skip over the many trials and tribulations and just say that taking the advertising poster got me detention with stacks of extra homework. I blame Amano and his hopeless crush on me."
Usagi: "Gosh, should I tell Naru about this?"
Mina: "No, no, no, Amano."
Mako: "Mina's school's Umino, just like Hikaru is Mina's school's Ami. Right?"
Mina: "Right. I don't know what I do to attract these nerds. I'm a jock. We beat up nerds."
Ami: "Some guys like to be—"
Mina: "CHANGE SUBJECT! Clean cup! Move down!"
Ami: "Am I a nerd? Will you beat me up?"
Mina: "No, you're a blue stocking, and also my friend."
Ami: "Thank you."
Mina: "You're welcome."
Ami: "I have this faint suspicion that you didn't change your ways and studiously complete your homework in the interests of self-improvement."
Mina: "Of course not."
Ami: "You cheated."
Mina: "…Technically, I wrote every answer myself—"
Artemis: "She cheated. She used the comm pen."
Usagi: "What's a comm pen?"
Luna: "Something I made very sure that you didn't get."
Artemis: "Due to esoteric technomagical principles that are beyond your human understanding, Sailor V's radio pen only writes the truth."
Artemis: "And so SHE USES IT TO CHEAT ON HER HOMEWORK." /smacks Mina upside the head.
Artemis: "ALL THE TIME." /smacks her again.
Mina: "Oh, pssh. I haven't done that in ages."
Mako: "Why not?"
Mina: "Because, hmm, um, Ami's right about studying for yourself."
Ami: "What? Speak up, please."
Mina: "Ami's right about—"
Ami: "Yes? Louder!"
Mina: "I forget. All those knocks on the head. Anyway—"

Three Years Ago-ish, Mina's School

Mina: "I am but a clueless jock. Why can't I just click a button and watch Pandora clips on Nico Nico Douga?"
Artemis: "Because this is the early 1990s and the size of the download would kill the Internet."
Hikaru: "What's the Internet?"
Mina: "So what bizarre Steam Age moon technology do I have to cope with here? Amano, I choose you."
Amano: "I care little for such prosaic matters. I have a 33.6kbit/s modem and membership on the WELL; mere television means nothing to me."
Mina: "Okay."
Amano: "But since you asked! Pandora has an exclusive deal with Channel 44, which is a satellite station—"
Mina: "That means that I can't pick it up with basic cable or a pair of broken rabbit ears, right?"
Amano: "That's right. In fact, it's a special satellite broadcast using a new, experimental technology which requires a special antenna and converter to receive. Fortunately, they've mailed out free adapters to every home in town. It's some sort of special tie-in to promote the new 24-hour Pandora network."
Artemis: "24 hours? I think that's more perky J-pop than anyone deserves. When does she sleep?"
Mina: "Idol singers are supposed to be disposable. That's part of the appeal. It's that impermanence of all things thing again, like cherry blossoms. Each teenybopper girl and boy soon withers and falls, and is swept away to make room for next year's crop."
Artemis: "Why is the Japanese sense of beauty so subtly horrific?"
Mina: "It was invented by men who cut their stomachs out with swords."
Amano: "Are you and your cat… talking?"
Mina: /points behind him. "Hey, is that Bruce Sterling?"
Amano: "Oh my Gawd, where?"

EXIT Minako and Artemis.

That Night, Aino Residence
Dad is attempting to hook up the free Akbar's Safe Experimental Satellite Adapter to the ol' T.V.… and failing.

Mina: "Jeeeezus, Dad, can't you hook up it yet? MY WHOLE LIFE DEPENDS ON THIS. You're a failure as a father!"
Mom: "HOMEWORK! NOW! Or you will end up stuck in a life-long dead end job like your failure of a father!"
Dad: /sob sniff.

Framing Device

Mako: "Gee. Your family is, uh… special."
Mina: "Just ordinary good times at Casa del Aino."
Everyone: "…"
Mina: "…It's not that bad, I swear. Mom just gets… stressy."
Usagi: "Wait, I remember this Pandora thing now. Didn't they give out signed CDs to all the boys who showed up at the studio? I remember being furious that we girls were being cut out of the action."
Mina: "Yes, exactly! And do you remember what happened the next day?"

Three Years Ago-ish, The Next Day at School

Mina: "…Why is the classroom practically empty?"
Amano: "I have no idea, Aino, but I'm getting concerned, here."
Mina: "There's no reason to be concerned."
Amano: "How was the idol thing?"
Mina: "I missed it because stupid Dad didn't the stupid box hooked up until after I went to stupid bed."
The Teacher: "Well, then you should go home and watch it, right now. Everyone else is doing it. Class dismissed."

They leave the classroom.

Amano: "Now I'm getting worried."
Mina: "There's no reason to be worried."

They go outside.

Amano: "There's no traffic. Where is everybody? I'm seriously getting freaked out by all this."
Mina: "There's no reason to be freaked out. Hey, Hikaru, wait up!"
Hikaru: "Let me go! I have to go home and watch it, right now. Everyone else is doing it."
Mina: "But—"
Hikaru: "MUST WATCH T.V. MUST WATCH T.V."

EXIT Hikaru.

Amano: "I'm—"
Mina: "MOOOOOMMYYYYYYYYY!!!" /runs home.
Amano: "Hey, don't leave me out here all alone!" /chases her, slowly.

Aino Residence
Minako bursts in, frantically.

Mina: "MOMMY! Hold me, I'm scared!"

Mommy is this close to the T.V., completely absorbed in swirling static and painful, atonal chords.

Mina: /winces at the noise. "Mom, I said—"
Mom: "Leave me alone! I have to watch it, right now. Everyone else is—"
Mina: /perplexed and disturbed. "…but there's nothing there."

Suddenly! The Comm Pen!

Mina: "…Of course! This must be an—"
The Boss: "—ENEMY ATTACK! 'Pandora' is an avatar of evil! Pure evil from another dimension! You have to stop the brainwashing program, Mina!"
Mina: "I'm on it!"
Artemis: "To Channel 44! STORM THE BEACHES and all that!"
Mina: "Hells, yeah! And save my Mommy!"

Framing Device

Ami: "Oh, so that's why it was so quiet that one day…"
Rei: "Cram school, right?"
Usagi: "It gave me a headache, too, but I thought the converter box was just messed up…"
Mina: "Apparently, we're immune to those frequencies."
Mako: "Well, we're officially not-quite-human…"

Channel 44 Broadcast Headquarters

Mina: "Dude, let me in! I have to save the Earth!"
Security Guard: "Pull the other one."
Mina: /Crescent Power: TRANSFORM! «Change me into a police woman!»
Security Guard: "…"
Artemis: /facepaw.
WPC Aino: "…Uh… You weren't supposed to see me do that."
Security Guard: "Transform, nothin'. You ain't gettin' in here without I see a warrant."
WPC Aino: "…"
WPC Aino: /draws gun. "Does this work?"

Framing Device

Luna: "YOU GAVE HER A GUN?!"
Mina: "It came with the uniform!"
Artemis: /hides under the bed.

Inside the Studio

Artemis: "Everything you know about police procedure you learned from video games, didn't you?"
WPC Aino: "Just call me 'Action' Mina. Why aren't there any mirrors in the dressing rooms?"
Artemis: "I… don't know. That's weird. Is that singing?"

They listen to the playback from the studio stage.

Pandora:
♫ Eh heh heh…
♫ Who needs study? Who needs work?
♫ No, no… Don't even try!
♫ Just do what I say! What the most beautiful person in the world says!
♫ You are all—you are all my slaves!

WPC Aino: "Well, it's something resembling singing."
Artemis: "Euuugh. I guess when you're using mind-control, you don't actually need talent."

Meanwhile, by the Sound Stage
The brainwashed audience waits patiently while Pandora steps out for a minute.

Pandora: "Gotta powder my nose. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"
Amano: "Gotta find Mina. Jeez, this is spooky."
Pandora: "I'll just go in here…"
Amano: "I'll just go in here…"
Pandora: /removes her face, the better to powder it.
Amano: "GYAH!"
Pandora: "WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?!"
Amano: "…Please tell me that's a mask."
Pandora: "I WEAR NO MASK."
Amano: "No mask? No mask!"
Pandora: "You've seen my true form. You must be… punished." /grabs Amano.
Amano: "SAVE ME MINAAAAAAAA!!!"

Framing Device

Mako: "Awwwww. His last words were of you."
Mina: "Dude. No."
Ami: "Like I said, some guys like tough gals—"
Mina: "He's a dweeb! A dweeb!"
Usagi: "Naru seems happy with hers."
Mina: "I'm not Naru. And this was, like, years ago, so stop it."
Mako: "I think we've earned the right to tease you a bit about matters romantickal, V." ;)
Ami: "Hmm, I can't draw, but I can write. Howabout a little Amano/Mina fanfic…?" :D
Mina: "Oh, you cruel monsters, you! But speaking of monsters—"

Suddenly!

WPC Aino: /throws Moon Crescent Boomerang!

Pandora is hit, and drops Amano!

Pandora: /puts her pretty face back on. "Who's there?!"
WPC Aino: /covers Pandora with her weapon. "Just ask yourself, monster: Do I feel pretty?"
Pandora: "As a matter of fact, yes. I'm the prettiest monster on Earth."
WPC Aino: "I'll be the judge of that!"

Cue starkly black-and-white transformation sequence!

Sailor V: "Codename: Sailor V! The Pretty Guardian in a Sailor Suit! Sailor Venus has arrived!"
Pandora: "'Pretty Guardian in a—' What the hell?"
Sailor V: "Sorry, you're not the prettiest. So speaks Venus!"
Pandora: "MINIONS! DESTROY SAILOR V!"
Brainwashed Minions: /braiiinnnns. "Muuuuust destroyyyyy Sailorrrrr Vvvvvvv…"

Battle is Joined!
Zombies crowd into the hallway.

Sailor V: /aha aho guard turn parry etc.
Sailor V: "Artemis, do I have to beat the crap out of all of them?! Isn't there some sort of—"
Sailor V: /dodge spin thrust ha etc.
Sailor V: "—quick way to remove the brainwashing? I'm gonna run out of power, here!"

Framing Device

Usagi: "Wait, we have a time limit on the transformation? Since when?"
Artemis: "Shhhh. I'm about to be brilliant."

The Battle

Artemis: "Wait a minute… I've got it! Mina! I mean, er, Sailor V! She took all the mirrors out of the dressing rooms."
Sailor V: "Aha!" /points her mirror at Pandora. "Eat mirror, monster!"

Pandora's true face is revealed! …And BOY is she hideous.

Sailor V: "…You have had way too much plastic surgery, ma'am!"
Pandora: "Nooooo… all my beautiful wickedness…"
Sailor V: /Crescent Power: BEAM!

Pandora melts and explodes, splattering smelly gunk all over the corridor and everyone in it (except, conveniently, Sailor V and Artemis).

Aftermath

Ex-Minions: /wake up groggily. "Wha happen—?"
Mina: "Venus's light reflected off of a weather balloon and ignited a gas leak." :cool:
Artemis: "Say, if everyone's back to normal with no memory… won't you get in trouble for skipping school?"
Mina: "Oh, come on, there are extenuating circumstances. I mean, everyone else is out of school or work too, right? They wouldn't simply single me out for—"

School

The Teacher: "AINO! LATE AGAIN! GIMME FIFTY! (Math problems, that is.)"
Minako: "But everyone else was late—" :(
The Teacher: "And if everyone else jumped off a bridge, would you, too? I wanna see 'em on my desk by 1500!"
Minako: "…Oh, well, I can just use the pen to skip 'em anyway—"
Artemis: /snatches the pen away. "THAT PEN IS FOR GREAT JUSTICE ONLY."
Minako: "This is justice! Hey!"

JohnBiles

Validated User
Re: Codename Sailor V, Volume 3: Sailor V Arrives! "Channel 44" Pandora's Ambition.

Mina: "I am but a clueless jock. Why can't I just click a button and watch Pandora clips on Nico Nico Douga?"
Artemis: "Because this is the early 1990s and the size of the download would kill the Internet."
Hmm, by the year this came out, the World Wide Web existed but was in only its first stages of growth, still limited by the speed of dialup.

Hitoshi Doi's Sailor Moon pages were up by the time this episode aired.

A modern video clip wouldn't kill the Internet then, but it would be slooooooooooow.

Ami: "Hmm, I can't draw, but I can write. Howabout a little Amano/Mina fanfic…?" :D
Do it, Ami! Join the fanfic horde!

(The year this came out would be the year I wrote my first fanfic, I think.)

Artemis: /snatches the pen away. "THAT PEN IS FOR GREAT JUSTICE ONLY."
Minako: "This is justice! Hey!"
Heh.

Boco

Genderless entity
Validated User
Re: Codename Sailor V, Volume 3: Sailor V Arrives! "Channel 44" Pandora's Ambition.

Hmm, by the year this came out, the World Wide Web existed but was in only its first stages of growth, still limited by the speed of dialup.

Hitoshi Doi's Sailor Moon pages were up by the time this episode aired.
No XD

This was actually the first chapter of Sailor V published. It was a one-shot for the Summer edition of Run Run and released in 1991. The next three chapters were spring, summer, and winter 1992, and it was decided by the strength of this chapter alone to make an anime (which became Sailormoon), so the BSSM manga was started in 1992 as well. The two earlier Sailor V chapters were released later, in 1993, to tell the story of how Minako became Sailor V, and those first five were compiled into volume 1 of the tankoubon. (those two chapters were finished after the first 3 volume story arc of Sailormoon was done!)

Kurotowa

Weird Science Nut
Validated User

This was actually the first chapter of Sailor V published. It was a one-shot for the Summer edition of Run Run and released in 1991. The next three chapters were spring, summer, and winter 1992, and it was decided by the strength of this chapter alone to make an anime (which became Sailormoon), so the BSSM manga was started in 1992 as well. The two earlier Sailor V chapters were released later, in 1993, to tell the story of how Minako became Sailor V, and those first five were compiled into volume 1 of the tankoubon. (those two chapters were finished after the first 3 volume story arc of Sailormoon was done!)
Interesting. Takeuchi is on record that the sentai shows she watched as a kid were a big influence on her, and Sailor Moon with its color coded quintet is obviously pulling from the Ranger series. So what with this Sailor V story being first, I'd lay good money that the offhand remark about a time limit on her transformation is an influence from Ultraman. A direction she ultimately decided not to go with.

Jorlem

Validated User

I'm sure you could fanon up some sort of explanation along the lines of the Sailor V transformation being unstable because she isn't using her true name, or something along those lines.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Or it's another power upgrade.

JohnBiles

Validated User

Interesting. Takeuchi is on record that the sentai shows she watched as a kid were a big influence on her, and Sailor Moon with its color coded quintet is obviously pulling from the Ranger series. So what with this Sailor V story being first, I'd lay good money that the offhand remark about a time limit on her transformation is an influence from Ultraman. A direction she ultimately decided not to go with.
I now totally want to see Minako vs. the villains from one of the seasons of Spectreman, which were basically Planet of the Apes style sentient Gorillas in bad 70s clothing.

They were awesomely WHAT, and thus would be very good against her in silly mode.

Top Bottom