• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IWIW Sailor Moon] Thread 8: Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of Science?

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Re: Episode #110: Death of Uranus and Neptune? Talismans Appear.

Though now I'm imagining Osaka (of Azumanga Daioh) getting abducted by the monster of the week… and not noticing.

"Oh, was there a monster just now? I must a' spaced out."
"Everyone spaced out, Osaka!"
"Oh. Does that mean I didn't?"

Either that, or she'd try to get the monster into conversation.

"ELEVATORIA! I've come for your energy!"
"Wait, wait, don't tell me, I know this one. That one's the stairs that move, right? I always get them mixed up."
"No, elevators are the boxes that go up and down!"
"Escala—"
"Elevator! You push the button and it comes to your floor. …No, don't go push the button now, I'm already here."
"This button?"
"No! I said I'm already here!"
"But you go up and down sometimes."
"Yes, all the time."
"Of course. That explains everything. I see now. I get it."
"See what?"
"It's because of the 'v'."
"What?"
"There isn't a 'v' in escalator, so that explains everything about you, doesn't it? Oh, but, um, wait. What about if— What if—?"
"What now? Look, I'm an elevator demon. My doors open and close, and I go up and down, there's nothing to explain."
"I don't rightly know 'bout that. What's that thang where it goes side by side? Like an elevator? No, I did it again. The other thing? Like that."
"I don't know, but it's not an elevator. Elevators don't go side by side."
"Then if I stand over to the side here, you can't get me?"
"I… um…"
"…It's mighty confusing, I know."

Ratoslov

Exploding Murderer
Validated User

More anime dubs should give people Joisey accents for no expliciable reason.

JohnBiles

Validated User

Either that, or she'd try to get the monster into conversation.

"ELEVATORIA! I've come for your energy!"
"Wait, wait, don't tell me, I know this one. That one's the stairs that move, right? I always get them mixed up."
"No, elevators are the boxes that go up and down!"
"Escala—"
"Elevator! You push the button and it comes to your floor. …No, don't go push the button now, I'm already here."
"This button?"
"No! I said I'm already here!"
"But you go up and down sometimes."
"Yes, all the time."
"Of course. That explains everything. I see now. I get it."
"See what?"
"It's because of the 'v'."
"What?"
"There isn't a 'v' in escalator, so that explains everything about you, doesn't it? Oh, but, um, wait. What about if— What if—?"
"What now? Look, I'm an elevator demon. My doors open and close, and I go up and down, there's nothing to explain."
"I don't rightly know 'bout that. What's that thang where it goes side by side? Like an elevator? No, I did it again. The other thing? Like that."
"I don't know, but it's not an elevator. Elevators don't go side by side."
"Then if I stand over to the side here, you can't get me?"
"I… um…"
"…It's mighty confusing, I know."
She then mistakes Elevatoria for a vending machine and tries to use her lucky coin on her but can't figure out where the coin goes in.

PenguinZero

Wark!
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Well, in my case, it's probably very different, since I was born deaf - profoundly deaf at that - so I have absolutely no notion of sound at all. When I watch something on television, what really "sells" it to me is the (for the lack of a better word) atmosphere. The feel, if you will. I glean personalities of the characters through their dialogue and their actions. Sometimes, dialogue can be very well-written, such as in the latest episode (110). When I say well-written, it may not necessarily be the best, but that it succeeds at conveying the feel across.
Yeah, those things all contribute too. They're even arguably the most important parts -- other media, like books or comics, get along just fine without voice actors. But a good voice can add another dimension to a character, usually by getting across nuances of emotion.

(And then again, there's media where the voice acting is more critical than anything else. I've been listening to an old British radio comedy, the Goon Show, lately, and I don't think it'd even be possible to convey most of what makes them funny without their voices, comic timing, and sound effects.)

Also, returning to what I mentioned about the atmosphere; I don't know if you guys noticed, but in episode 110, there were quite a few "dark" shots - not necessarily dark, but where the environment is a bit darker than usual. More muted colors, more emphasis on the cool colors (cool colors being blue, purple, and green - red, yellow, orange are the warm colors).
I think I'd noticed that in some parts, but not entirely consciously. In fact, I think in at least one place the music distracted me from it -- the short scenes where the senshi are all contemplating their interactions with Uranus and Neptune are tied together by a slow, sad piano tune playing through them, but looking back I think there's also some visual tones connecting them too... got to rewatch soon.

(And that just brings up the whole role of music, and how it's used to set the mood and sometimes highlight a character or a recurring action... I guess I never really thought about how many ways a show like this would be different without sound. Entire bodies of scholarship could be (and no doubt have been) written on the subect!)

It was once explained to me that the reason the dub gave her a New Jersey accent was because in the Japanese anime, she had an accent from a region in Japan... Osaka, I think?
Translating an Osaka (or other Kansai-region) accent's always been a bit of a point of contention among anime fans. There's been a lot of American accents advanced as comparable to Kansai, and none of them match up perfectly.

But I actually think that it's not quite relevant to Sailor Moon. Listening to Naru talk, I don't hear any traces of an Osaka accent (though I'll admit my ear for Japanese accents is far from perfect). So why does fandom often say she's got one? I think it's just a bit of confusion: her accent is Standard Japanese, but her name is Osaka Naru. A listener who doesn't know Japanese could easily assume her name also describes her origin...

nargun

Banned

But I actually think that it's not quite relevant to Sailor Moon. Listening to Naru talk, I don't hear any traces of an Osaka accent (though I'll admit my ear for Japanese accents is far from perfect).
It's tokyo japanese, probably the native form of her voice actress [from Setagaya]. From recollection it's standard written japanese in the manga, same as all the other characters.

zakueins

Banned

We now know something important...just how (possibly) tough the Senshi are for game terms...

(Assumptions-Neptune and Uranus were being shot at by an M61 Vulcan cannon firing solid slugs.)

GURPS 4th Edition

Okay, the stats for the M61 Vulcan shows a 6dx3 pi++ (6dx3, multiply all damage that penetrates armor/DR by 2). The average roll is going to be about 21, so call it 63-64 points of damage. And, anything that gets through is multiplied by 2. Also, our girls will take one HP in damage for every ten points they take if they're wearing "soft" armor that stops the attacks (blunt trauma damage). But...if they let any damage through, it's salami time (no blunt trauma damage, but all damage is multiplied by two-so, if even one point gets through...), we have to assume the upper range-108 points of damage per hit.

It takes a LOT of rounds to batter them down....so, I'd say they have about DR 110 with the limitations of Soft Armor (-40%), which means they can start taking blunt trauma damage to knock them down to 1/3rd HP, probably with a few levels of Hard to Kill on top of it. If you want to make them able to do the whole "withstand earth-shattering magical attacks" I'd buy some more DR with the limitation of "only versus magical attacks".

HERO 6TH EDITION

Okay! The M61 in Hero 6th does 4D6 RKA (ranged killing damage), +1 STUN multiplier, Autofire (10). So, for every success that Eudial's bots get on hitting the senshi, they can in theory do up to 24 points of BODY damage and 168 points of STUN damage (1). Same issue, the guns have to be able to batter them down into unconsciousness, without reducing them to thin greasy smears on the walls. This means they need to have enough rPD (Physical Resistant Damage) to stop the bullets, but still be able to take enough STUN to reduce them to 0 or less, up to the infamous -31 STUN "GM Option"(2). You do this by buying Resistant Protection (which counts as both "armor" and force fields if you use the right modifiers), which stops both regular and killing damage. This means that Sailor Neptune and Uranus probably are running around 50-60 rPD if you want them to be able to shrug off an "average" attack to 80-90 rPD if you want it to take some time, maybe with the limitation of "only half PD vs. magical attacks" (to keep the regular attacks from reaching Dragon Ball Z "blast the scenery to singe their clothing" levels-at 4D6 RKA, you can blow through the average safe door).

GODLIKE/WILD TALENTS

A rough assumption of the damage of the M61 Vulcan is about W+3 SK (Spray 5), which means that your senshi is hosed if they take too many hits with that in Killing Damage. Your goal is to make as much of that Shock damage and the Shock damage to go away, so the senshi need LAR (Light Armor) 3-4 and HAR (Heavy Armor) 1-2(thus taking only 1-2 points of Shock damage per attack at most-think "blunt force trauma"). But...Eudial is smart, her attacks are deliberately designed to hit Uranus and Neptune's motivation-she's going to drain their Willpower and Will by forcing Moral Traumas and hitting their Motivations. And, she's aiming at huge ones...the moment they get down to 0 Will, all Eudial has to do is walk up to them and shoot them for their Talismans.

(1) HERO 6th tracks two types of damage-BODY which reflects your actual squishy human form, and STUN which can count as your "wind" or your ability to remain conscious. When you get to 0 BODY or STUN, you're out for the count. Negative levels mean you could die (BODY) or it takes you longer to recover and be able to do things (STUN).
(2) There are two major "kinds" of damage in HERO 6th-Regular and Killing. Regular damage mostly affects your STUN, but you can still take some BODY damage as a result. Killing damage is the reverse-the die roll determines how much BODY you take, and you roll a D6 to determine your STUN damage. The M61 has a +1 STUN modifier, so you add one to your D6 roll for STUN. Also, Killing Damage can only be resisted by Resistant Defenses (Physical or Energy).

Oh, and at -31 STUN, you're at the "GM Option" level of recovery. As in "you wake up in jail" level of recovery.

Tinkerbell

Validated User

Not from an audience standpoint, they're not. The audience already knows that Usagi is right, because they've seen the previous seasons. From a practical standpoint, Usagi and Co. have destroyed a lot more Daimohns than they have as well. Usagi and Co. also saved them on at least one occasion, so they'd have already failed. It couldn't be more clear that they can't win this on their own, they couldn't even beat Kaolinite.

But, hey, keep refusing the help of the people who have proven themselves time and again. That's worked out really well so far, right?
Well, but how are Uranus and Neptune supposed to know that the current Moon and co saved the world about...twice and a half, already?

Besides, the last memory they have of anything about the Princess and her Inners past lives is that the Princess and the Prince fell in love, everything went to hell and the old Silver Millenium Fell. Would you trust the reincarnations of people who dropped the ball once not to drop it this time around, without some kind of serious proof?

Albert

Validated User

I guess there's some basis, though with Osaka's birth and history as a merchant town where all the rice (oil) markets were vs the Big City Where Everything Happens tends to map better for me as Houston, TX vs NYC. But then, I'm FROM Houston, so that tickles me pink. XD
Huh. And here I thought of New York as the place where we exile everyone we look down on (UN diplomats, Mafia, Broadway wannabes, New Yorkers, etc.) so they can all be a plague upon each other and get stuck with absurdly high living costs.

-Albert

No-Brand Hero

Heroicus Genericus
Validated User

Well, but how are Uranus and Neptune supposed to know that the current Moon and co saved the world about...twice and a half, already?
They don't need to. They only have to know that the inners have saved THEM more than once already. They'd be dead if not for the inners' help, which is pretty much the exact opposite of "Their way can work". So, of course, they continue to reject that help, because sticking to your ideals until you fail and die is preferable to sucking it up, admitting that you might be wrong, and having a better chance of success.

Besides, the last memory they have of anything about the Princess and her Inners past lives is that the Princess and the Prince fell in love, everything went to hell and the old Silver Millenium Fell. Would you trust the reincarnations of people who dropped the ball once not to drop it this time around, without some kind of serious proof?
Man, if they had their last memories, they certainly wouldn't be doing what they do in this series, but we'll get to that later on.

RK_Striker_JK_5

Validated User

The dub... a have a fondness for it, I'll admit. Especially Naru's voice. :p It's just so... bad, but good too! I dunno. Nostalgia filter? But for some of them, it just clicks.

Top Bottom