• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IWIW Sailor Moon] Thread 8: Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of Science?

Hilarion

Validated User
Re: Episode #113: A House Full of Evil Presence! The Secret of the Beautiful Girl, Ho

So now you have at least a partial answer for the "Why didn't the Outers and Inners recognize each other from their past life" question: the Outers had been on long-term patrol duty at the edge of the Solar System during the fall of the Silver Millennium.

Morilore

Retired User
The Professor makes coffee for Sailor Moon.

Not Ackbar demon-coffee, but ordinary "I should be a courteous host for my guests" coffee. In his evil lab, while cackling like a maniac.

Such a cool guy.

Mamoru: /looks at the Outer Senshi.
Michiru: /looks back, and nods politely.
Sailor Pluto: /looks back, eyes sparkling with pleasure at how things are turning out so far.
Haruka: /looks away, and absolutely refuses to acknowledge anything.
P. sure the authors just don't know what to do with UraNep right now. They have this new character, and they're focusing the attention on her, so we're supposed to forget about this other simmering never-resolved conflict while we get to know Hotaru.

EDIT: Did you notice that Pluto, the omniscient Guardian of Time from the future, was on the Outer's side when they said "seriously we can't be a team, no, no way"?

Talitha the Little Girl

Validated User
Re: Episode #113: A House Full of Evil Presence! The Secret of the Beautiful Girl, Ho

I... live! I've been terribly busy with school and work lately. :\

However, loved the write-up for episode 112! :D Hotaru's one of my favorite characters! (And Setsuna/Pluto. And Ami. And Makoto. And Minkao. And Rei. And Haruka, Michiru, Usagi, Chibi-Usa, Mamoru, Luna, Artemis... I love 'em all!)

Usagi's Mom: "BOTH USAGIS! Stop that splashing up there!"
Usagi's Mom: "…Wait, this is my only line. Did I deliver it right? Maybe I should do a few more takes? What do you think?"
Director: "Thank you! NEXT."
Usagi's Mom: "Damn!"
A very valiant effort, but alas, done in vain!

Mamoru: "I really wasn't going to criticize. I'm sure you fought valiantly, but Metallia was just too powerful."
Michiru: "Wait, has She come back, too?!"
Sailor Pluto: "No. Don't worry. I'll explain later."
Mamoru: "And you can hardly be blamed for the Doom Tree or Fiore's flower, because you weren't fated to awaken yet."
Haruka: "The what and who's what?"
Sailor Pluto: "Don't worry. I'll explain later."
Mamoru: "And Sailor Pluto was quite helpful against the Planet X crowd. Thank you again." /tips hat.
Haruka: "There's someone living there now? Since when?!"
Michiru: "Has everyone in the galaxy attacked the Earth while we were out?! Gods, it's worse than we thought…"
Sailor Pluto: "No. I'll explain later. Sir Endymion, we refer to the current foe."
This is genius. Absolutely brilliant. A very, very clever way (and explanation) to get Haruka and Michiru caught up to the scratch. Love it! :D

Rei: /grabs Usagi and snarls. "¿HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN THAT WE'VE GOT A STUDY SESSION IN FIVE MINUTES? If you screw off again, Usagi, so help me—"
Usagi: /points. "Look, it's Michael!"
Rei: /ecstatically. "¡¿What?! ¡¿WHERE?!"
Usagi: /grabs Chibi-Usa and vamooses.
Rei: …!

Back to the Present
Minako: "…Who the fuck is 'Michael'?"
Rei: "I HAVE NO IDEA."
Aha! My sources tell me that (with 99.8% certainty) that this Michael refers to Michael Jackson! (He's getting popular around that time, isn't he? 1993? As a deaf person who doesn't care about music, I could be wrong about MJ's popularity.)

Rei: /slumps to the ground and cradles her head in her hands. "And I'm not even telling you about the escape route she used. I'm so embarrassed…"
My favorite part of the episode, no doubt. I'm slightly disappointed to see that you didn't put up a screenshot of that bit, but then again, I suppose Rei would be too embarrassed to allow you to put it up, huh?

Darth Hotaru
Oh man, I died at this. Died.

The Professor: "O Illustrious Messiah of Silence! The time is coming!"
Hotaru?: "…need more energy…"
The Professor: "As you wish…"
Love the font choice here! :eek:

Kaolinite: "Can I help you?"
Usagi: :eek:
Usagi: /grabs Chibi-Usa, runs away at top speed, calls in a Code, transforms, and—
Chibi-Usa: "What the heck, Usagi? You dropped the cookies."
Papa: /walks up. "Is something wrong? Oh! You must be Hotaru's guests."
Usagi: /grabs Chibi-Usa, runs away, calls in a Code, transforms, and—
Papa: "I'm Hotaru's father, it's a pleasure to meet you. Hotaru's a little busy right now. Kaori, could you lead our guests to the sitting room to wait for her? I'll make you girls some coffee."
Chibi-Usa: "What's wrong, Usagi?"
Usagi: "…Nothin'."

INSIDE THE VILLAINS' LAIR
Usagi tries her best to look calm while her mind races.

Usagi: ('Kaori'? Talk about obvious aliases! It's Kaolinite! I knew it! The villain always 'survives that fall'! She's been alive all this time?! AND SHE KNOWS WHO I AM! But why didn't she react when she saw me? Is this is a trap? Chibi-Usa's in danger! Is the Ackbar her friend or the babysitter? We gotta get outta here! We gotta tell someone! But wait. Calm down. Kaolinite really didn't react at all, like I was a total stranger. Her eyes looked empty. Maybe she has amnesia. Maybe it's her good twin on drugs. Maybe it's time travel again. Maybe it's all just a weird coincidence.)
Usagi: ('Just a coincidence'? Who am I kidding? I'd better stay sharp, but I guess if they were going to get us, they'd have got us by now. I guess we're safe.)
Usagi: (AAAAAAAAAUUUUUGGGHHHHH!!!)
I've been looking forward to this for a good while, and you didn't disappoint! :D

Mimette's Conscience, Sanity, and Rational Self-Doubt: "Mimette, you're doing it again. At least take precautions—"
Mimette: "SHUT UP! Mimette is never wrong!"

Mimette: (he loves me he loves me!!! lol)
Mimette's CS&RSD: "…nooooooooooo, not again…"
/dies laughing

Hotaru leans heavily against the wall, gasping, then summons up all her strength.

Hotaru: /tries to look like she's not leaning on the furniture for support.
I'm liking how you're portraying Hotaru as a sickly girl. People tend to gloss over that, or make her too frail. It's a fair line to tread, and you've been doing a nice job so far (so I feel).

Hotaru: "Let's go up to my room—"
Kaolinite: /with coffee tray. "Oh! Then I shall take the coffee up to your room." /Stepford stare.
Hotaru: "NO! I'll take it! Don't butt into house affairs, Kaori! Stay out of my room!"
Hotaru: /snatches the tray and flounces up the hallway.
Kaolinite: "…"
I loved this part. The writers have shown themselves quite capable to write a five-year-old (season R Chibi-Usa), a nine-or-ten-years-old (season S Chibi-Usa), a bunch of young teenaged girls (the Inners), a college-aged guy (Mamoru), and an possibly-ancient-who-knows-how-old-she-is guardian (Sailor Pluto)... and now they've proven that they could write a twelve-years-old (she looked twelve) girl!

(Seriously. My youngest sister is twelve years old, and lemme tell you, that's uncannily accurate. It was so accurate, in fact, that I burst out laughing when Hotaru yanked the tray out of Kaolinite's hands and stomped away.)

Usagi: /begins to comprehend the complicated family issues at work here involving a widowed father, his sick daughter, and a potential step-mother, and feels a surge of empathy.
So do we, Usagi. So do we all.

Cue Dramatic Music
I don't recall whether you added that in your previous write-ups ("cue [insert sound here]"), but all the same, I'm glad you added in this! :D

Usagi: /realizes that Chibi-Usa is on the verge of freaking out.
Usagi: /laughs. "Oh, gosh, I know how that can be! Boy, do we, Chibi-Usa? Hey, why don't you show her your gifts?"
Oh, definitely. I like this part, you always add such great touch of realism! :D Chibi-Usa nearly freaking out (who wouldn't?), and Usagi being a good future-mom to diffuse the tension!

Katakuri Ukon: "…Oh, shit, my editor?!" /turns to run.
U-Henshuu: "You're behind deadline!" /tackles him.
Katakuri Ukon: "Wow, this is just like that dream! …Hey, you're not my real editor! How'd you fit in that suitcase?"
U-Henshuu: "No changing the subject! These pages need revision!"
Katakuri Ukon: "AAAAAGH! MERCY!"
I died, Shadowjack. I died!

U-Henshuu uses Ultimate Attack: White Manuscript Hell!
U-Henshuu casts paper at Usagi.
Usagi dodges, dodges, and dodges some more.

Usagi: "Ah, this brings back memories. I wonder where Ami is right now."
Good to see that Usagi hasn't lost any of the talent points she put into dodging before that time re-set! ;)

Sailor Pluto uses Dead Scream.
Sailor Pluto casts temporal forces at U-Henshuu.
U-Henshuu is hit!
U-Henshuu is hurt!
U-Henshuu is stunned!
U-Henshuu ages 4 years!
I wonder, are you going to put in random numbers for the "aged [x] years!" part? If so, that's a brilliant idea, and totally serves just to make Dead Scream all just that more creepy!

Mimette: "wtf hax stfu faggot ill kill ur toon 20 times lol"
/groan. Oh, all the times I've seen that phrase in WoW...

Haruka counterattacks with World Shaking!
Haruka casts geologic forces at U-Henshuu!
By now you've seen Haruka refer to the wind, and the wind (and the sky) being attributed to Sailor Uranus (I'm also assuming you're familiar with the Greek myths), I wonder why you still refer to World Shaking as geologic forces? I'm curious.

Haruka: "DO YOU MIND?! WE'RE TRYING TO HAVE A DISCUSSION HERE!"
Usagi: "Yes, let's!"
Haruka: "Yes! I mean, NO! No discussion! You're a distraction, girl!"
Oh, so close, Usagi, how so close...

Which means, when your weapon is part of your arm, a dislocated shoulder. OW.
/nods and winces. Speaking of dislocated shoulders, my best friend's grandmother (who is 87 years old) tripped over one of her dogs a month ago, and her shoulder got dislocated. She fixed it herself. Old ladies are tough, y'all.

Haruka: "I didn't know you could do that."
Mamoru: "Our individual abilities may be inferior to yours, but the team is very well-coordinated. HINT HINT and also HINT."
Haruka: "Hmph! Grump! And pshaw!"
/dies a fourth time. Can I get a rez, please?

Mimette: !
Mimette has logged out.
U-Henshuu: "WHAT?!"
Wait, wait, what about my rez!? :(

Sailor Pluto: /looks back, eyes sparkling with pleasure at how things are turning out so far.
How much do you think Sailor Pluto knows about the future? We know she guards the Time Door (and the timeline as an extension), but does she knows the future? Or the past, for that matter? Or she just doesn't know much to go on? Questions bounds!

Anyways, this was a very fun write-up! Thank you, Shadowjack! :D

Last edited:

Edvarius

Validated User

The fact that Kaolinite is still around despite being blasted by the Senshi is interesting. With every other villainous boss thus far that would mean execution for their failure, assuming that the battle itself didn't result in death or reforming. But "Kaori" is still around, and still working for the Professor.

Also, sad to say, the Outers are kinda bad at their actual duty, aren't they?

PenguinZero

Wark!
RPGnet Member
Validated User

At last! I get to use a line I've been dying to use since you started this thread! I was only hoping we'd get so far as to be able to use it, but now...

[IWIW Sailor Moon] Thread 8: Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?
There are those who call him... Tomoe.

On a more serious note, way back before the season started, there were some worries about accidental minor spoilers... because the usual way nearly everyone referred to our favorite mad scientist was 'Professor Tomoe.' I was endlessly impressed that we managed to divert suspicion from the idea that he even had a last name. (Though the early use of 'Victor von Eyeglasses' served to carry things over until people got used to just calling him 'the Professor.')

As was said above, the 'moe' in Tomoe is the same 'moe' that's now used for deliberately overwhelmingly cute/vulnerable/attractive characters. The full name is 土萠, with the 'to' meaning earth or ground, and 'moe' meaning to sprout or blossom. So Hotaru's full name, poetically, could be said to mean 'firefly sprouting from the earth.'

And to round things out 'henshuu' means 'editing' or 'editorial.' Fairly straightforward.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Hilarion said:
So now you have at least a partial answer for the "Why didn't the Outers and Inners recognize each other from their past life" question: the Outers had been on long-term patrol duty at the edge of the Solar System during the fall of the Silver Millennium.
Honestly, I'd expect a little bit of back-biting.

While you lightweights were doing fancy dress parade in the Capital, "protecting" the Princess from getting groped by a bunch of drunken diplomats and Earthlings, WE were out in the Cold and Black, dealing with things you couldn't even describe, let alone stand against. Day in and day out without letting your transformation drop, sleeping on bare asteroids, breathing vacuum in a miniskirt, making the hard decisions all so you could sleep safe in your beds at night!

Sailor Mercury, Ministry of Special Police: "Cute. And then what happened?"
Jupiter: "Apparently, Venus said, um, well, she said something to the effect that if she heard seditious talk like that in the army she'd personally commanded in the last war, she'd have the offenders disciplined in front of the entire outfit with a chain whip."
Mercury: "She really put it like that?"
Jupiter: "Well, no, I was paraphrasing. You know Venus when she's in her cups."
Mercury: "I do. Recorder, just write, 'Fighting words' on the side, there, and we'll work it out later."
Scribe: "Yes, milady."
Mercury: "And that's when the fight started?"
Jupiter: "Well, first, Sailor Neptune said something about that hobby being why Venus is rarely courted. And THAT'S when—"
Mercury: /reads from another eyewitness transcript. "—when 'she flipped over the table and the room filled with light'?"
Jupiter: "It took half the Third Cohort and two castings of Rain Burst Dreaming to bring them under control. Once they pump the seawater out, they're going to have to rebuild that entire block."
Mercury: "Again. Gods! I hate Fleet Week."

Morilore said:
The Professor makes coffee for Sailor Moon.

Not Ackbar demon-coffee, but ordinary "I should be a courteous host for my guests" coffee. In his evil lab, while cackling like a maniac.

Such a cool guy.
And they didn't even get to taste it!

EDIT: Did you notice that Pluto, the omniscient Guardian of Time from the future, was on the Outer's side when they said "seriously we can't be a team, no, no way"?
…Yes and no. Yes and no. She hasn't voiced a strong opinion, but I didn't fudge the descriptions of her facial reactions to Uranus and Mamoru, and she was the one who brought Sailor Moon into the fold in the first place. She's up to something, I think. It may not be what everyone else is worried about.

Talitha the Little Girl said:
Aha! My sources tell me that (with 99.8% certainty) that this Michael refers to Michael Jackson! (He's getting popular around that time, isn't he? 1993? As a deaf person who doesn't care about music, I could be wrong about MJ's popularity.)
That's probably the best guess, because I don't think Rei would be THAT much of a fan of cats.

Oh man, I died at this. Died.
"I shall apologize to Lady Hotaru immediately!"
"…Apology accepted, Captain Needa."

Love the font choice here!
I can't remember if it was this font - I think it was - that on Tangency they called the FONT OF HATE. I may've gotten it mixed up with another, but it works great for that in my book.

I'm liking how you're portraying Hotaru as a sickly girl. People tend to gloss over that, or make her too frail. It's a fair line to tread, and you've been doing a nice job so far (so I feel).
I was surprised they animated it, her leaning on the edge of the couch in that desperately-casual way.

I wonder, are you going to put in random numbers for the "aged [x] years!" part? If so, that's a brilliant idea, and totally serves just to make Dead Scream all just that more creepy!
That's my thought. It seems like one of those spells with an effect like "ages target 1d6 years per level of strength" or something.

Be thankful Pluto only casts it at level 1.

By now you've seen Haruka refer to the wind, and the wind (and the sky) being attributed to Sailor Uranus (I'm also assuming you're familiar with the Greek myths), I wonder why you still refer to World Shaking as geologic forces? I'm curious.
I admit to Western bias, because my mythological background associates earthquakes with earth (for some funny reason :D), rather than wind or catfish. She doesn't seem to be hitting them with windbursts, tornadoes, etc.; we've seen the ground shake and crack open when she fires at full power.

How much do you think Sailor Pluto knows about the future? We know she guards the Time Door (and the timeline as an extension), but does she knows the future? Or the past, for that matter? Or she just doesn't know much to go on? Questions bounds!
Just because you know the high points doesn't mean there isn't room for improvising.

PenguinZero said:
There are those who call him... Tomoe.
"MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" *BLAM!* *BOOM* *KAZING!*
"Look, you're a busy man, so… uh, we'll just…"
"YES! I can show you a GRAIL!"

Edvarius said:
Well, they've been sick.

Morilore

Retired User

We don't see them much. We don't know what they are doing when they're offscreen.

While you lightweights were doing fancy dress parade in the Capital, "protecting" the Princess from getting groped by a bunch of drunken diplomats and Earthlings, WE were out in the Cold and Black, dealing with things you couldn't even describe, let alone stand against. Day in and day out without letting your transformation drop, sleeping on bare asteroids, breathing vacuum in a miniskirt, making the hard decisions all so you could sleep safe in your beds at night!
Yes. Exactly. It's not just that they're full of themselves and look down on the girls for no reason (not just that). They also resent them.

There's been some half-serious speculation in the past in these threads that implies that the Sailor Moon universe is metaphysically better than our universe. That bisexuality is more common because love is an evolutionary advantage, in that it gives you access to magic pink laser beams. That magical governments are benevolent because the laws of physics say you get more power by treating people nice, and so forth.

Maybe. But to Sailors Uranus and Neptune, it really does not look that way.

Talitha the Little Girl

Validated User

I admit to Western bias, because my mythological background associates earthquakes with earth (for some funny reason :D), rather than wind or catfish. She doesn't seem to be hitting them with windbursts, tornadoes, etc.; we've seen the ground shake and crack open when she fires at full power.
"...associates earthquakes with earth..." I see what you did there! ;)

But in all seriousness, didn't that guy with the penguin icon (or was it a different poster?) in a previous thread discussed Haruka, her name, and her attacks (and other interesting stuff), as they are in Japanese? He concluded with something like "heavens shaking earth," which does seem to be in sync with the various theories/analyses I've seen over the past few years concerning Haruka and her World Shaking.

Ah, her powers are just confusing! Maybe that poster I mentioned previously could help out. :)

Morilore

Retired User

…Yes and no. Yes and no. She hasn't voiced a strong opinion, but I didn't fudge the descriptions of her facial reactions to Uranus and Mamoru, and she was the one who brought Sailor Moon into the fold in the first place. She's up to something, I think. It may not be what everyone else is worried about.
You're right. I misremembered her as saying something more assertive.

zakueins

Banned

(Mercury looks at Uranus.)
Mercury: I thought you said you were going to keep her under control this year.
Uranus (wearing a cast on one arm, taped ribs, eyepatch, bandages): I thought I was, honestly. That was up before the maple syrup mead came out...
Mercury (shaking her head): Oh, gods. And who thought that was a good idea? You know, I know, Jupiter knows, Usagi knows, Mamoru knows, Chibi-Usa knows how bad Neptune gets when she has it...
Jupiter (shrugs): At least it wasn't as bad as last year...
(Flashback scene of Neptune showing her drunken heterosexuality with a lot of men...)
Mercury (steeping her fingers in a Gendo Ikari sort of way): "Not as bad as last year" is not a ringing endorsement. Especially when Venus and Neptune get into their cups...Gods. We did fight that war together, didn't we? You know, and won? Together?
Uranus: We did, I know. And, I didn't bring the mead. It was Pluto, who had a case of the Lake Wobegon Farms Twenty Year Reserve and insisted upon celebrating several officer's promotions in Third Cohort.
(Flashback scene of Pluto and Neptune deep, deep, deep in their cups. Several large tree-shaped bottles are nearby.)
Mercury: I see that we're going to have to have that conversation again. (sighs) I want a message transcribed to her immediately...it should start out "You stupid, insane bitch..."
Scribe: "Greetings, from Sailor Mercury, Vicereine of Mercury, Keeper of the Lord Privy Seal, Private Secretary to the Court, etc, etc... to Sailor Pluto, Archduchess of Pluto, Keeper of the Silver Key, etc, etc..."
Mercury: "I thought I told you that causing random damage to the Empress' cities was considered a very bad thing."
Scribe: "Some of your decisions lately have been less than optimal in the name of our Queen and Empress, Queen Usagi Serenity, and Her holdings on Earth and Luna. Let us talk about them, so we can prevent any possible issues in the future."
Mercury: "I want you here in my office, NOW, or I'm coming all the way out there to Pluto and I will be very fucking unhappy if I have to go all the way out there again twice in one year. If I have to come out there this time, I'm going to declare an Audit on you and your holdings and have it done with a Goddammed Princess Wand-powered fucking machine anal probe. With spikes. That rotate."
Scribe: "Please come by my office at your earliest convenience. I wish I could come and visit you and ski on the lovely slopes of Hades Mountain, but you know how pressing the business of Spring Court can get."
Mercury: "So, let me know when you can get your ass over here, because we are going to have another talk about this little problem of tossing grenades and golden apples around to see what sort of trouble you can cause."
Scribe: "It is always a joy to see you, and I will be waiting for you to schedule a time for a private chat, just the two of us."
Mercury: Add all the proper closings, write up a neat copy, and I'll sign and seal it. I want it on it's way before the end of the day.
Scribe: Yes, ma'am.
(Scribe leaves.)
Jupiter: You could always send her an e-mail.
Mercury: This lets me get some of my mad out. You know the rule...never send an e-mail angry...
Jupiter (follows up): ...unless you want somebody to burst into flames. I think Mars did that once with somebody that made a very wrong comment.

Honestly, I'd expect a little bit of back-biting.

Sailor Mercury, Ministry of Special Police: "Cute. And then what happened?"
Jupiter: "Apparently, Venus said, um, well, she said something to the effect that if she heard seditious talk like that in the army she'd personally commanded in the last war, she'd have the offenders disciplined in front of the entire outfit with a chain whip."
Mercury: "She really put it like that?"
Jupiter: "Well, no, I was paraphrasing. You know Venus when she's in her cups."
Mercury: "I do. Recorder, just write, 'Fighting words' on the side, there, and we'll work it out later."
Scribe: "Yes, milady."
Mercury: "And that's when the fight started?"
Jupiter: "Well, first, Sailor Neptune said something about that hobby being why Venus is rarely courted. And THAT'S when—"
Mercury: /reads from another eyewitness transcript. "—when 'she flipped over the table and the room filled with light'?"
Jupiter: "It took half the Third Cohort and two castings of Rain Burst Dreaming to bring them under control. Once they pump the seawater out, they're going to have to rebuild that entire block."
Mercury: "Again. Gods! I hate Fleet Week."

Top Bottom