• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IWIW Sailor Moon] Thread 8: Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of Science?

Morilore

Retired User
Re: Episode #113: A House Full of Evil Presence! The Secret of the Beautiful Girl, Ho

I done double-posted.

Last edited:

WrenTruesong

Avowed ShadowJack fangirl
Validated User
Re: Episode #113: A House Full of Evil Presence! The Secret of the Beautiful Girl, Ho

That was up before the maple syrup mead came out...
Oh gods, you just HAD to bring in the maple mead. XD And this old-soldier secretary-cleans-up-the-assroast is just PERFECT.
Have an Embarrassing Order of Merit Point, on me. XD

zakueins

Banned

Actually (looks around a bit), I based the letter editing off a bit in Bloom County. :D Having a good secretary that can turn your angry rantings into clear and well written letters is worth their weight in gold. ;)

Oh gods, you just HAD to bring in the maple mead. XD And this old-soldier secretary-cleans-up-the-assroast is just PERFECT.
Have an Embarrassing Order of Merit Point, on me. XD

Vehrec

Validated User
I honestly think that Pluto knows about as much about the timeline as we do-oh, she's hit up the high points, and knows the major steps along the road, but once she actually starts meddling in the present, all bets are off and she needs to deal with time in a much more plebeian manner. She can't just go around whacking people with a time-stick and expect to dodge all the consequences, good or bad. She might know about Hotaru and the Professor-and she might have already tried to resolve this by force and gotten her ass kicked.

So, we deploy a force even more powerful than princess wands and chronomancy. We give a little sick girl a friend. And then we wait. And pray.

Currently, the timeline is still in flux. The number of Senshi from beyond Jupiter in Crystal Tokyo right now is fluctuating between none and [REDACTED], and it's more than a little frustrating when the number of them actually around doesn't match the number of chairs in the council chambers.

Oh, remember all those end of the world types I mentioned way back at the beginning of the series? Well...the signs are beginning to multiply.

PenguinZero

Wark!
RPGnet Member
Validated User

But in all seriousness, didn't that guy with the penguin icon (or was it a different poster?) in a previous thread discussed Haruka, her name, and her attacks (and other interesting stuff), as they are in Japanese? He concluded with something like "heavens shaking earth," which does seem to be in sync with the various theories/analyses I've seen over the past few years concerning Haruka and her World Shaking.
That was me, and yes I did. But bear in mind that was just personal theorizing -- I'm not exactly in a position to be any more definitive on it than anyone else. I still think it's a good theory, but people are certainly free to come to their own conclusions!

Blazing Bat

Validated User
Mamoru: "Greetings, O past and future Warriors of the Silver Millennium. Welcome, again, to Earth. What business have you with me this fair night?"
Sailor Pluto: "To tell this: The Inner Senshi protected the Princess and the Capital, but we, the Outer Senshi, had greater powers, for our duty was, is, and will be to protect the Silver Millennium as a whole against intruders from beyond the Solar System… and you have no need to say it."
Didn't the Silver Millennium END a few thousand years ago?

Michiru: "Has everyone in the galaxy attacked the Earth while we were out?! Gods, it's worse than we thought…"
It feels like that, yes.

Mamoru: "Then why not join forces with Sailor Moon's team?"
Haruka: "Huh! Those kids would only get in our way."
Michiru: /Smoothed-Feathers Technique. "Let us say that this battle is too much for their current level of power."
Yes, because they have needed your help to destroy every single daimon so far. Oh, wait.
Makoto: "Well, she's going over for tea, so I gave her some cookies I'd just made, but I feel kind of bad now that I see it was important! I should have made a new batch, and really pulled out all the stops this time. Maybe a nice embroidered bag to go with, too, oh! and I could…"
Makoto: "…and why are you hiding from me?"
Ami: /hiding behind Minako. "If her normal fancy cooking isn't 'pulling out the stops', then what is?!"
Rei: /flatly. "¿So does anyone want to ask me about MY day?"
It's fun to see the girls interact without Usagi for once.

Darth Hotaru's Creepy Isolation Chamber
The stuffed toys have multiplied, and the chamber is now venting all variety of cold, clinging mists.
"Darth" Hotaru? But there are always two, a master and an apprentice! *imagines the expression on the apprentice's face upon first seeing Hotaru's stuffed toy collection.

The door swings slowly open.

Kaolinite: "Can I help you?"
Usagi: :eek:
Yay! Kaolinite is alive! Or at least a fairly life-like empty-eyed zombie!

Usagi: /grabs Chibi-Usa, runs away at top speed, calls in a Code, transforms, and—
That would have been the reasonable thing to do. Or at least she could have returned later and stalked Kaolinite together with a shrine maiden who can sense evil and a supercomputer-wielding friend.

The Professor: /fills sterile glassware with distilled water. "Heh heh heh."
The Professor: /arranges a heating stand. "Ho ho ho."
The Professor: /sets up a Bunsen burner. "Muahahaha."
The Professor: /gas—on! Ig—nite! "Kyeheeheeheeheehee!"
The Professor: /gets out a bag of Mechanicsburg Roast and filters. "BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"
The Professor: "They LAUGHED when when I said I had a superior method of making coffee. BUT WHO'S LAUGHING NOW? COFFEE FOR THE COFFEE GOD! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! COFFEE! COFFEE! BLOOD! COFFEE! Coffee. Heeheehee…"
Professor Tomoe is awesome. About at this point, the writers have really found out how to handle him, and it's great.

Mimette has her feet up on Eudial's desk, and is reading "Drop Drop" by Katakuri Ukon, the same manga Chibi-Usa just bought. It's an incredibly shoujo costume drama, and Mimette is… well, just look.

Mimette: "SHUT UP! Mimette is never wrong!"
Mimette: horrible personality AND incompetent.

…and an adorably gothy girl enters the room, smiling.
Hotaru has a great character design. Very cute. While I don't think her eyes are actually larger than those of the other girls, they appear so anyway because there's less white visible around the irises, increasing the cuteness. Ami profits from the same effect to a lesser degree. In some scenes in which the latter's hair is drawn longer (season 4 mostly, she has to have the most variable hairstyle of them all) they look fairly similar to each other.

Usagi: "OMG look at all the White Wolf books. Are you in a group right now?"
Hotaru: "I've never actually played, but…"
Usagi: "Oh, wow, then you have got to join my friend Mako's Vampire chronicle! You'll love it!"
Have we hit all the goth stereotypes yet?

Hotaru: "Such power. I feel… POWER. Better. MORE. MORE POWER."
Chibi-Usa: "…Hotaru?"
Hotaru: "There is no Hotaru. THERE IS ONLY Z—"
I prefer to think of the glow not actually being visible, and more of a visual cue for the viewer. Usagi and Chibi-Usa only notice Hotaru spacing out
•*Monster of the Week
U-HENSHUU! A blue oni dressed as a "sexy librarian", i.e. a tiger-striped, low-cut parody of office attire, complete with librarian glasses and pencil behind an ear.[/i]
Professor Tomoe has finally figured out how to make his machine replicate the same principles that went into his hand-crafted catgirl daimon.

U-Henshuu: /transforms her fingers into sharp scissors.
Usagi: !
U-Henshuu: /snip snip!
Usagi: "H-hey. You're kidding, right? You're not gonna drain my energy instead? I mean, this could be a little too bloody for…"
U-Henshuu: /SNIP SNIP!
Brrr. For some reason, that strikes me as one of the most menacing poses a monster of the week has ever managed.

Mimette: !
Mimette has logged out.
U-Henshuu: "WHAT?!"
Mimette was choking the daimon at the time :eek:

Makoto: /picks up the remains of the Daimon. "Apparently, this Daimon was made from a manga rough of Sailor Moon beating the snot out of her. Does that mean her defeat was inevitable?"
Yeah, that was a nice touch.

Minako: "More likely that Sailor Moon's tremendous powers converted a blank page into a monument to her peerless skill. Or whatever. Say, has anyone else noticed that the minions getting smarter than the mistresses lately?"
With Mimette, it's kind of hard not to :p

I honestly think that Pluto knows about as much about the timeline as we do-oh, she's hit up the high points, and knows the major steps along the road, but once she actually starts meddling in the present, all bets are off and she needs to deal with time in a much more plebeian manner. She can't just go around whacking people with a time-stick and expect to dodge all the consequences, good or bad. She might know about Hotaru and the Professor-and she might have already tried to resolve this by force and gotten her ass kicked.

So, we deploy a force even more powerful than princess wands and chronomancy. We give a little sick girl a friend. And then we wait. And pray.

Currently, the timeline is still in flux. The number of Senshi from beyond Jupiter in Crystal Tokyo right now is fluctuating between none and [REDACTED], and it's more than a little frustrating when the number of them actually around doesn't match the number of chairs in the council chambers.
I figure the cause of Pluto's foreknowledge is not some mystical Mistress-of-the-Space-Time-Door stuff. It's far simpler than that: she's from the future and knows her history. Thus, she's aware of what happened, but not exactly of the how.

Hilarion

Validated User
There's an easy enough way to handle that.

Uranus appears in Crystal Tokyo, confused and dazed. Chancellor Luna approaches her

Luna: Lady Haruka, welcome back from your long sleep.
Uranus: Huh?
Luna: As you may remember, your duty is to guard the edge of the solar system.
Uranus: Yes, but...that is...
Luna: You will find your duty far easier than your last incarnation: a tribe named the Black Moon left a variety of deserted ruins on Nemesis just waiting for you to move in.
Uranus: Nemesis? You want to send me to Nemesis?
Luna: Oh, come now, it's not exile...officially. Chop chop, off to Nemesis with you now. If Lady Michiru incarnates, I'll send her to meet you there.
Uranus: But wait! Wai...Uranus is Sailor Teleported against her will to Nemesis
Luna: Caught her just in time. Can't have it getting too crowded around here. That girl might have gotten the Queen's ear, and that would be no good for our plans.
Pluto, emerging from the shadows: Everything proceeds according to plan, Chancellor Luna.

JohnBiles

Validated User

I totally love the Outers/Mamoru meeting scene in this episode.

My own take on what Pluto is doing is that she thinks Haruka and Michiru need to keep crashing their view of things into the wall of reality until it sinks in, and she sticks with them so she can nudge them in the right direction.

The prof making coffee is a classic scene.

We really do start to hit the problem that a half-hour show does not really have enough screen time for this many significant characters at once.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Morilore said:
But to Sailors Uranus and Neptune, it really does not look that way.
Yep. When you spend all your time on the fringes dealing with exceptions, it's easy to forget what "normal" is. It's one way cops get burnout.

Talitha the Little Girl said:
But in all seriousness, didn't that guy with the penguin icon (or was it a different poster?) in a previous thread discussed Haruka, her name, and her attacks (and other interesting stuff), as they are in Japanese? He concluded with something like "heavens shaking earth," which does seem to be in sync with the various theories/analyses I've seen over the past few years concerning Haruka and her World Shaking.
Indeed, PenguinZero's been quite helpful! And I can totally see how "wind moving the earth" works. After all, Japanese iconography sometimes associates lightning and blowing leaves, because both are seen during storms. So, "wind moves things, the earth is moving, therefore…"

But I'll stick to "earth" until she kicks out some tornadoes, here. :D

Blazing Bat said:
Have we hit all the goth stereotypes yet?
Let's see… music, decor, reading matter, V:tM… I haven't done a crack about black lipstick, mesh shirts, or sitting in trees, yet. :p

Hilarion said:
Luna: Oh, come now, it's not exile...officially. Chop chop, off to Nemesis with you now.
Your Luna is awful. I love her. :D

JohnBiles said:
I totally love the Outers/Mamoru meeting scene in this episode.

My own take on what Pluto is doing is that she thinks Haruka and Michiru need to keep crashing their view of things into the wall of reality until it sinks in, and she sticks with them so she can nudge them in the right direction.
I think something like that is going on, yes.

After all, Sailor Pluto clearly believes in the Power of Friendship. She gave a little girl that girl's favorite toy. She's bent regulations to the point of ominous groaning noises because she knew she needed the assistance of trusted friends to fix the timeline. She abandoned her post to find her old comrades, watched tensely when their fates were in doubt, is practically humming to herself now that she's found them again. She may have to live apart, but she has very deliberately kept herself involved with the human race.

It's Uranus and Neptune who have insisted that it's them against the world—and both of them have expressed doubts about that. (And, really, ladies, just because there are many enemies doesn't mean that everyone's an enemy. This isn't the Matrix, here.)

I get the feeling, from the reactions in this episode, that the three of them spent the last few days arguing in circles about whether or not to work with the Inner Senshi on this one. Haruka voted no; Michiru voted yes at first, then changed her vote to go along with Haruka; Pluto voted yes, and privately still believes that, but bowed to the others for the sake of getting along. I can't tell if Haruka is nominally in command of the squad, or if their rules require unanimity; either way, Haruka feels she won the debate, and Pluto has decided to "wait and see".

We really do start to hit the problem that a half-hour show does not really have enough screen time for this many significant characters at once.
Agreed.

Mattheq

Validated User
The Professor makes coffee for Sailor Moon.

Not Ackbar demon-coffee, but ordinary "I should be a courteous host for my guests" coffee. In his evil lab, while cackling like a maniac.

Such a cool guy.

P. sure the authors just don't know what to do with UraNep right now. They have this new character, and they're focusing the attention on her, so we're supposed to forget about this other simmering never-resolved conflict while we get to know Hotaru.

EDIT: Did you notice that Pluto, the omniscient Guardian of Time from the future, was on the Outer's side when they said "seriously we can't be a team, no, no way"?
My take on it is that she knows that the Princess et al can handle things, but also knows Uranus and Neptune will need careful managing. I think she's there to gradually steer them in the right direction, while generally taking their side, for now.

Top Bottom