• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IWIW Sailor Moon] Thread 9: Well, you know… we all want to change the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Shoo-bee-doo-wah, ohm shoo-bee-doo-wah. Here we shall contain the last-minute spillover from the last thread, and set up for a hopeful future of even greater things.

Talitha the Little Girl

Validated User
New thread time! :D

So, earlier today as I was driving home from school, I idly mused about sign language, and I realized a funny coincidence: Minako's peace-sign hand gesture she loves to do as Sailor V? Well, that's the American Sign Language for the letter V.

(I know this is just coincidence, but it's fun all the same.) To make this even more amusing, here's some background/knowledge on this: the college I attend, Ohlone, is a very popular school for international deaf students, and last semester, I befriended two deaf students from Japan (Sayaka and Wataru). Sayaka and Wataru both informed me that in Japan, it is much more popular for students - deaf and hearing both - to learn American Sign Language rather than Japanese Sign Language (since most of the deaf there were school orally, so they often don't learn sign language until later). And... right there in Sailor Moon, Minako uses the gesture that she probably meant as a peace gesture, but it's actually also ASL for the letter V.

I just think this is a funny coincidence! :p

Morilore

Retired User
Since it's a new thread:

So I am totally insane/lame for being entranced by the idea of a Sailor Moon/Animorphs crossover? It's arguably redundant from both directions, at least if all we think about is the themes - "Sailor Moon meets cynical superheroes who separate themselves from their humanity by embracing vicious violence for the greater good" is the season we are currently in, and "power of love" was done in Animorphs.

But for one thing, I kind of think Visser One (Edriss 562) and Jake both make deliciously perfect foils for Usagi.

Vehrec

Validated User
New thread time! :D

So, earlier today as I was driving home from school, I idly mused about sign language, and I realized a funny coincidence: Minako's peace-sign hand gesture she loves to do as Sailor V? Well, that's the American Sign Language for the letter V.

(I know this is just coincidence, but it's fun all the same.) To make this even more amusing, here's some background/knowledge on this: the college I attend, Ohlone, is a very popular school for international deaf students, and last semester, I befriended two deaf students from Japan (Sayaka and Wataru). Sayaka and Wataru both informed me that in Japan, it is much more popular for students - deaf and hearing both - to learn American Sign Language rather than Japanese Sign Language (since most of the deaf there were school orally, so they often don't learn sign language until later). And... right there in Sailor Moon, Minako uses the gesture that she probably meant as a peace gesture, but it's actually also ASL for the letter V.

I just think this is a funny coincidence! :p
It's also V for Victory, as thrown up by Winston Churchill many times during and after WW2. As far as handsigns go, it's a lot more basic than some of the ones Sailor Moon makes. I wonder if there's any hidden meaning in any of those?

Talitha the Little Girl

Validated User
It's also V for Victory, as thrown up by Winston Churchill many times during and after WW2.
I knew I was forgetting something! Thanks for bring that up! :D

As far as handsigns go, it's a lot more basic than some of the ones Sailor Moon makes. I wonder if there's any hidden meaning in any of those?
Who knows? V for peace and victory, definitely, but I'm very sure the creator - how did you spell her name? N-something T-something? - didn't know about sign language, since Sailor Moon was made in the early '90s, wasn't it? American Sign Language (let alone any other sign languages) wasn't really accepted as a full, true language until roughly 1988.

The V sign aside, now you've got me wondering what, if at all, that gesture Sailor Moon makes in her speech ("...in the name of the Moon I shall punish you!") could mean.

(Another funny coincidence: her left hand - the one with the pointer finger, the pinky finger, and the thumb sticking out, like Spiderman? Well, that means "I love you" in American Sign Language. And knowing Usagi, that actually fits her. :p )

Talitha the Little Girl

Validated User
Since it's a new thread:

So I am totally insane/lame for being entranced by the idea of a Sailor Moon/Animorphs crossover? It's arguably redundant from both directions, at least if all we think about is the themes - "Sailor Moon meets cynical superheroes who separate themselves from their humanity by embracing vicious violence for the greater good" is the season we are currently in, and "power of love" was done in Animorphs.

But for one thing, I kind of think Visser One (Edriss 562) and Jake both make deliciously perfect foils for Usagi.
I... oh, my, this is genius. :eek:

Now you've got me thinking! Makoto and Haruka might would be a little distributed by Rachel (but honestly, who won't?), and it would be interesting to see how the Senshi, particularly Sailor Pluto, respond to Cassie, who is a "sub-temporally grounded anomaly" according to the Drode, and I suspect Sailor [REDACTED] would find a kindred soul in Tobias. Ami probably would have fun discussing the finer nuances of SCIENCE with Ax.

BUT

--- and this is why I love the idea ---

Minako meeting Marco.

Last edited:

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I knew I was forgetting something! Thanks for bring that up! :D

Who knows? V for peace and victory, definitely, but I'm very sure the creator - how did you spell her name? N-something T-something? - didn't know about sign language, since Sailor Moon was made in the early '90s, wasn't it? American Sign Language (let alone any other sign languages) wasn't really accepted as a full, true language until roughly 1988.

The V sign aside, now you've got me wondering what, if at all, that gesture Sailor Moon makes in her speech ("...in the name of the Moon I shall punish you!") could mean.

(Another funny coincidence: her left hand - the one with the pointer finger, the pinky finger, and the thumb sticking out, like Spiderman? Well, that means "I love you" in American Sign Language. And knowing Usagi, that actually fits her. :p )
I was gonna say, isn't it "I love you"? I'm sure it means something else in Moonspeak. :D

I dimly remember that in the 1980s, before closed-captioning was standard, you could sometimes find shows that would show a guy doing ASL translation, superimposed in the corner. PBS shows, occasionally.

Talitha the Little Girl

Validated User
... The universe would never be safe again...
I know! :eek: This alone justifies the crossover!

But this entire idea intrigues me greatly (especially the thing with Cassie, since it was kinda glossed over in the series).
Do you own a copy, or have read, of Animorphs: Megamorphs#4 - Back to Before?

If not, here's the text. (Context: the Animorphs had just discovered they've been in an alternative timeline where none of them knew about the Yeerk invasion, let alone obtain the morphing power.)

Spoiler: Show

The Drode spat in disgust. "You knew the girl was an anomaly. You knew she was sub-temporally grounded. And you knew that whatever time line I built, her presence would eventually destabilize it. She knew from the start that the time line had shifted. She felt it. I might as well have terminated this exercise then. I saw the sudden, inexplicable transportation of [Visser One, Marco's mother], and I thought, well, it's a glitch! The hands morphing to tiger [when Jake never had the power]. All the little breakdowns of logic and sequence. I still thought it might hold together..."

"...Most creatures live entirely within their time line," the Ellimist said. "Like a person trapped in a single room. They see only what is within those four walls. Others, like yourself, Cassie, see beyond those walls. Can see other rooms, as though the walls were translucent. You felt the change. You sensed that things were not right. You could see, only dimly, but still you could see beyond. You could see what should be, where you belonged, and without consciously knowing it you were working to repair what had been torn apart. To reconstitute time as it should have been. You were a virus in the software. You degraded the subtle workings of the Drode's artificial time shunt..."

"...You were in this time line, but of another. That is an anomaly. An impossibility. One of the two time lines was doomed to fail. You grounded the true time line. And thus, this time line began to fall to pieces."

This is the only explanation we have of Cassie's strange nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom