• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IWIW Sailor Moon] Thread 9: Well, you know… we all want to change the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Re: Episode #116: Sunny Skies After a Storm! A Friendship Dedicated to Hotaru.

What's a 'dump stat'? :confused:
In a good number of RPG systems, you get at character creation a number of points you can spend to improve your various statistics. Most of the stats are useful, so if you don't want to be mediocre at everything, but good at at least some stuff, there is at least one stat that you'll spend no points on so that the others can be better. That's the "dump stat" : the aspect of you character you sacrifice.
For example:

Let's say the game's attributes are Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Charisma, and Luck. You get 60 points to spread among these, so an "average" hero would have 10 in all areas.

If you're building a brawny warrior-type, you'd want high physical stats and don't care about Intelligence, but you might want to leave some Charisma (for leading troops and getting girls) and Luck (for emergencies). So you drop Cha and Luck by a little, dump Intelligence down far, and raise Str, Dex, and Con. Final character: Strength 14, Dexterity 12, Constitution 14, Intelligence 4, Charisma 8, Luck 8.

Alternatively, if you're building a robed-and-bespectacled wizard, you don't care about Strength, but Intelligence is the primary stat for spellcasting. Thus, Strength becomes your dump stat. Final character: Strength 3, Dexterity 12, Constitution 8, Intelligence 18, Charisma 8, Luck 11.

In some games, the dump stat is obvious; these days, this is viewed as poor game design. Example: In a number of games, "Appearance" is an attribute, costing the same as Agility or Intelligence, but there are no or few skills that rely upon it, and only one or two cases where you actually test the attribute directly. Thus, it's safe to make all your characters ugly, saving those points for useful abilities, and probably compensating for the lower attribute anyway. If Sex Appeal is the only skill based off of the Appearance attribute, but Persuasion, Social Sense, and Entertainment (Massage) are all based off of the Wit attribute, then an ugly but witty character can easily Sense how to Persuade someone that they don't really care about Sex Appeal… :D

As you can see, judging costs in a point-buy system can be tricky.

Boco

Genderless entity
Validated User

In some games, the dump stat is obvious; these days, this is viewed as poor game design. Example: In a number of games, "Appearance" is an attribute, costing the same as Agility or Intelligence, but there are no or few skills that rely upon it, and only one or two cases where you actually test the attribute directly. Thus, it's safe to make all your characters ugly, saving those points for useful abilities, and probably compensating for the lower attribute anyway.
However, one should always be careful to know the system in question before coming to this conclusion. In Exalted 2nd Edition, for example, Appearance is actually the best stat (having about double the potency and use of any other stat), with the proper dump stat being either (but not both) of Charisma or Manipulation.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User

However, one should always be careful to know the system in question before coming to this conclusion. In Exalted 2nd Edition, for example, Appearance is actually the best stat (having about double the potency and use of any other stat), with the proper dump stat being either (but not both) of Charisma or Manipulation.
Thus demonstrating the importance of actual playtesting. Sometimes it's hard to tell before hitting the road what the road will be like.

Vehrec

Validated User

And now I want to do a screencap RP comic for Sailor Moon. Like Darths and Droids, you know?
....Ok, I can see this. In a universe where...wait, should we set this campaign in the early 1990s? Anyways, it's a poorer universe because Sailor Moon doesn't exist. The older setting works for us since the older games tended to be...more unoptimized. Maybe this was during the era when Pheonix Downs instantly gibbed undead. Which also goes a way towards explaining why various characters are less powerful than others-bad design and playtesting!

Ikselam

may one day be worthy of your grace
Validated User

Thus demonstrating the importance of actual playtesting. Sometimes it's hard to tell before hitting the road what the road will be like.
The Outer Senshi must be so pissed about failing to realize that "LOVE" is the one stat you shouldn't dump.

Haruka: Oh hey Hotaru, what's up?
Hotaru: I finished making my character sheet and... and I was wondering if you guys could look at it? To make sure I did it right?
(They do)
Michiru: ...Well.
Haruka: Um, it doesn't look like you messed up any of the numbers, but, uh...
Michiru: Hotaru-chan, are you sure this is a character you want to play? It's so weak. Did you look at Setsuna-san's spreadsheet? It's very helpful.
Hotaru: I-I did, but there were so many numbers and boxes and I didn't understand what all the abbreviations stood for, so I just... just kind of... tried to think of what I wanted my character to be like, and picked things based on that...
Michiru: You remember that Usagi-chan said there was going to be lots of fighting in this game, don't you?
Haruka: Seriously, kiddo, you don't want to dump physicals, especially Stamina. You should take some points out of Love and Compassion, they're hardly used and are basically the same thing anyway. And Cuteness? Seriously?
Hotaru: B...but I don't want her to be mean. I want her to be cute, and nice...
Michiru: You can just RP that, sweetie.
Hotaru: That kind of seems like cheating.
Haruka: Whatever, just don't blame us when you get sidelined because you're not contributing to the team.

Kreuzritter

Validated User

guys, why not just transcribe shadowjack's reviews for this hypothetical comic?

Hilarion

Validated User

Yeah, as we've pretty much all noted, Haruka and Michiru's big weakness is that they don't seem to understand that they're characters in a "for love and justice" children's show where idealism pays off and cynicism doesn't.

Haruka and Michiru should approach Eudail and Saphir from R and ask them if they want to do a spinoff with them. Haruka and Michiru want to be a 90s anti-hero, and Eudail and Saphir want to be actually competent villains.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User

guys, why not just transcribe shadowjack's reviews for this hypothetical comic?
It may be a good start, but it encounters the same problem that doing an "abridged" anime series would: I frequently have the characters doing things (facial expressions, poses, falling down, etc.) that don't occur even slightly in the original, so you'd have to do a lot of really clever mashing-up of material to get things to work.

Not to say it's not doable, just that it's harder than it sounds at first. The Comic Irregulars are quite talented folks.

Yeah, as we've pretty much all noted, Haruka and Michiru's big weakness is that they don't seem to understand that they're characters in a "for love and justice" children's show where idealism pays off and cynicism doesn't.

Haruka and Michiru should approach Eudail and Saphir from R and ask them if they want to do a spinoff with them. Haruka and Michiru want to be a 90s anti-hero, and Eudail and Saphir want to be actually competent villains.
You put 'em together like this, and I almost want to see them simply as a team act. (Haruka and Michiru are the strikers, Eudial the support, and Saphir the strategist.) I suppose this is how comic book spin-offs happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom