• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IWIW] Shadowjack Watches Sailor Moon Thread 13: The Magic Horse Ate Our Fancy Title

darkgloomie

Un-jiggly
Validated User
Huh. The More You Know!

I suppose Hawk's Eye is also a gemstone or cut then? I know the Tiger's Eye is... some kind of beryl?

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
So yeah, the low level flunkies are using the Earth legacy and the higher ups are using the Moon legacy. Also, the TABQOTM has a sense of humor: they're named after asteroids not planets, and the gemstone qualities of the Neg Three are distinctly lackluster.

Whiteeyes

Validated User
Theu are a dark blue with a black stipe down the middle, much like a cat's eye or tiger's eye gems and yellow and orange. Tiger eye should mot be confused with tiger iron which is a largely black stone with orange, yellow, and sometimes red striations running through it.

Steven Universe Fandom: We Know Rocks.

Amethyst

Validated User
Not really? Metallia, Beryl, the Shitennou all had gemstone/metal names and they were, if not from the Moon Kingdom, at least from the era. While the upper echelons of the Black Moon clans (Esmeraude, Rubeus, Dimande, Safir) also have gemstone names, and are exiles from the Future Moon Kingdom. And now, Zirconia does have a gemstone name, but nobody else from the villian group does; that's just weird.
The Sisters have gemstone/mineral names, too. Koan is short for koanko, the Japanese name for kermesite (red antimony, which oddly enough was used in ancient Egypt for lipstick). Berthier is berthierite (which is also an antimony with iron), Calaveras is calaverite, aka gold telluride. Petz is petzite, another telluride that is often found with calaverite. Takeuchi really thought this shit out, y'all.

So do the Witches 5: Eudialyte (which is usually red), Mimetite (usually yellow), Tellurite, Viluite, Cyprine (usually blue), and Ptilolite.

Shimauma

Awaits the Ponylarity
Validated User
The Sisters have gemstone/mineral names, too. Koan is short for koanko, the Japanese name for kermesite (red antimony, which oddly enough was used in ancient Egypt for lipstick). Berthier is berthierite (which is also an antimony with iron), Calaveras is calaverite, aka gold telluride. Petz is petzite, another telluride that is often found with calaverite. Takeuchi really thought this shit out, y'all.

So do the Witches 5: Eudialyte (which is usually red), Mimetite (usually yellow), Tellurite, Viluite, Cyprine (usually blue), and Ptilolite.
I visited the Royal Ontario Museum last fall, and wandered through the exhibits in the gem room. Spent most of the time going "But these are all Sailor Moon characters!"

Cosmos666

In general only the Big Bads have a non-gem name: Metaria, Death Phantom, Pharaoh 90 and Nehellenia. Everyone from the dragon to the minibosses are named after gems except for the Quartet because of... reasons.

Mitsukara

Heir to the Dork Kingdom
Validated User
I had no idea the Trio were named after gemstones, but lackluster/poorly cut gemstones are perfect imagery! Their very existence is like badly crafted constructs that are kind of pretty anyway.

It's a different spelling, but 'Nehalennia', according to Wikipedia, is a goddess of unclear origin:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehalennia

It's too bad Nehellenia didn't have a dog in Sailor Moon, that could've been kinda cool... would it be a sapient dog like the Moon Cats? I can really imagine the Quartet playing with the dog, too. Probably either making better friends with it than it's master, or tormenting the poor animal, given some of their other proclivities in the next couple episodes.

They do reveal where Nehellenia came from in the actual show, you know... that, and some other potentially spoiler-y speculation, including what Zirconia's deal is (That part of the show is actually pretty cool, so I really recommend watching the real deal first!):
Spoiler: Show
she was the queen of a kingdom on an asteroid that would pass by the Silver Millenium.

Without giving away too much of the later storyline(s)... in the manga I certainly think Nehellenia counts as a cosmic-horror being akin to Metallia and friends (and with an even more direct connection the Silver Millennium), but, the anime take on the story is so different that I'd classify her more like Beryl (a human-like magic user with a lot of dark power). That mirror she lives in, on the other hand...

Given how the finale goes, Zirconia seems to me like she is Nehellenia! Basically, Nehellenia gets all messed up with the mirror- as we see during the finale and later on- until the future self she hopes to be is the one in the mirror, and the old, decrepit future self she fears being is the one outside it. They're two halves of the same messed-up coin.

Then when Nehellenia eventually escapes the mirror,
she tries to dispose of Zirconia, but after the tent blows up near the end, this distinction starts to break down and we get the fantastically creepy imagery of what goes on in the last episode of this season... the Zirconia chestburster with the really long neck coming out of old, creepy, Zirconia-looking Nehellenia!

Also, maybe Nehellania got so lonely partly BECAUSE she didn't have a dog! Oh-ho!

And yes, spoilers within spoilers. One of the finer moments of this season (described therein) is yet to come, I think!

Or you could just go with what WikiMoon has a specific rule against doing, and say Zirconia is "your mum".

Also:
So...if the true an beautiful queen of the moon (tm) really is the evil version of Chibi and Luna's love child... I think both Artemis and Usagi will want WORDS with her.
Everybody remembers the season six premiere, right? Episode 201:
"Nehellenia's stepsister? Diana Dies for Love! Chibi Chibi's true identity revealed."
No, that's not what my fanfic is about. Although I do have this idea that associates Umino with the mineral Ullmannite and Naru with Vitriol...

By the way, remember that Guardians of Order Sailor Moon RPG with all the dead links in the back of the book? Thanks to the power of the Legendary Empyrean Imperium Phantom Maboroshi Silver Crystal Reocities, one of them is alive again: Akane's Anime RPG Page. It's front page even mentions the Sailor Moon RPG's release back in the day! So that's kinda neat.

Last edited:
Top Bottom