• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IWIW] Walkin' on Sailor Moon (thread 3 of a continuing series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Re: Sailor Moon R Episode #50: Usagi's Crisis! The Tiara Doesn't Work.

When I saw the new post I had the sudden urge to post a new thread: "Today's IWIW Sailor Moon!". I think I've been awake for too long :p
/laughs and laughs.

NIWSWSM!

Blazing Bat said:
For some reason, I thought he was more protective than that. Maybe that's from later in the series.
Well, he's mellowed considerably from last season, when he nearly drove off the road at the suggestion that his little girl was noticing boys.

Jhiday said:
And it's nice the writers remembered Usagi has a family.
Just what I was thinking.

Jhiday said:
Usagi sure plays a lot of videogames, but she really isn't very good at it, is she ?
No, she really isn't. But I think many of us know that feeling, huh?

Jhiday said:
Well, that's the most efficient use of the bulking thing, in these circumstances.
Damn right!

Jhiday said:
Don't get me wrong, this was a great episode. But it showcases everything that's wrong with the concept of the Moonlight Knight.
Or everything right, if one chooses to treat him as a joke… :p

ANT Pogo said:
Well, it is the first clue to the direction they take with her. Malapropisms and misquoted aphorisms (and Ami's subsequent constant corrections) kind of become her trademark .
I admit I'm tempted to start coming up with Pinkyisms.

"Are you pondering what I'm pondering, V?"
"I think so, Usagi, but if the wind is called Mariah, shouldn't rain and fire also be named for chart-toppers?"
"…"

Woah... O_O
She's exaggerating, of course. She only got to second.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Or everything right, if one chooses to treat him as a joke… :p
Well, it all depends on the quality of the punchline. I'm trying not to keep your hopes up. :p

I admit I'm tempted to start coming up with Pinkyisms.
Considering Minako's later characterization, this would actually be astonishingly appropriate.

Gargoylewing

flying over a post-factual world
Validated User
The illustration they use for that scene describes this arc so perfectly:
Sadly, but true, yes it does...;)
That's what I love about the Doomtree Arc. It's silly, but a lot of fun.
Ditto.:D

And I guess you have to agree: There is so much happening in this episode:
From the silly, and the funny, where the Sailor Senshi assemble!-melody played to Shingo dressing up for the VR action, amongst other *funs with the background music*, to Mamoru being able to dodge like a pro , plus, being able to throw with inhuman accuracy (lasergun packs) even in human form, while still brainwashed, over the broken Tiara (well, duh), and the final blow:
Mamoru and Moonlight Knight in the same room.

Hard to start somewhere...

Aaaaand, I see, Shadowjack, you have seen the easteregg monster in the VR episode. No wonder, after you were pointed into that direction...:p
But: Were you able to name the monster...?

sun_tzu

Validated User
to Mamoru being able to dodge like a pro , plus, being able to throw with inhuman accuracy (lasergun packs) even in human form,
I maintain that Mamoru is to Tokyo what Bullseye is to New York.
Except not a psycho villain.
When not brainwashed.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User

While this is a perfectly reasonable twist at this point of the story, the logic problems start accumulating. If the Moonlight Knight isn't Mamoru, well, why should we care ? Who is he ? No suitable character has been introduced yet, and giving him the same voice-actor as Mamoru is a bit of a cheat.
Well, he *is* still helping save the day by distracted the bad guys, even if it involves being injured a bunch.

Maybe he's Endymion's younger brother or something.

JeanneHedge

Validated User

Audrey the Doom Tree: "i am a monument to all your sins"
En: "There, there, dear. Audrey's still hungry, because of those thrice-damned Senshi."
SUDDENLY, SHINGO!
When he's done playing laser tag, Shingo can fight it out with Audrey two.

Mako: "Was that supposed to be a joke?"
Mina: "Was what a joke?"
Mako: "That messing up a phrase thing?"
Mina: "Messing up what phrase thing?"
Mako: "Just now, that you just did. 'All things come to him who wants/waits.'"
Mina: "I don't know want your talking about."
Ami /twitch.
Well, it is the first clue to the direction they take with her. Malapropisms and misquoted aphorisms (and Ami's subsequent constant corrections) kind of become her trademark .
Oh, poor Minako. When your most memorable (and pretty much only) line in the episode is a comedy routine that still isn't gelling...
This is going to sound really weird, but I was watching a later season episode of SG1 the other late night. (no, that's not the weird part; this is ->) Minako = Vala? Both have some really horrendous things in their past they are fully aware of (Vala's perhaps being when she was the unwilling host of Quetesh, who got her jollies doing extremely nasty things (even for a Goa'uld) to her subjects, irritants, and anyone in the way), both are ultimately rather capable in various ways when the crap hits the fan, and both spend most of their time as comic relief?

Ali: "Look, we don't want to kill you. Just lie back and think of England."
Oh groan. Yet it's not all that funny in its usual context.

Last edited:

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Oh, by the way, remember to watch those spoilers folks!

(Case in point: I mean, obviously Mamoru gets his memory back at some point, but I don't wanna know how yet! I know you're enthused, but bite your tongue fingers, or use spoiler tags!)

(Though I will confess that having been warned about Minako's personality shift has given me some ideas… which I will follow my own advice and not spoil. Anyway, I want to see how it goes for myself.)

Aaaaand, I see, Shadowjack, you have seen the easteregg monster in the VR episode. No wonder, after you were pointed into that direction...:p
But: Were you able to name the monster...?
Oh, was I? I forget now. :p

I definitely recognized wossisname, Boxy? The winged boxer demon who came out of the Catholic priest, one of the Seven Monsters Wizards From Hell. There may've been others.

Oh, and Mecha-Godzilla was the wrong color, and King Ghidra only had two heads, I think, but it was pretty obvious who they were supposed to be. (Though I admit my primary exposure to kaiju has been through MST3K…)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom