• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IWIW] Walkin' on Sailor Moon (thread 3 of a continuing series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Doesn't work that way for me.

I'm con staff.

More precisely, I'm the department head of video programming.

I'm the guy who actually needs to get the screening rights.
So you need a friend of a friend, whom you know nothing about, to… ;)

Seriously, I actually respect the situation, because I'm often that way myself. When one is responsible, one is supposed to be responsible, damn it all!

Even when it sucks! Because one is being responsible. Grumble gripe.

So respect.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Doodled this originally for the crossovers thread, but didn't get around to posting it. Since Revy got mentioned here, too, here it is…

And another comic follows.

tl;dr version: Didn't watch any episodes the last couple of days, because this comic stormed into my room and demanded I write it. It's a side story, inspired by the recent conversation about the shift in Minako's character. I'm ambivalent about this one, actually, because I don't like what I have one of the characters do, and I can't decide whether that's because I don't think it's in character (for the way I've been writing them, anyway), or because it is but I don't approve of her action. I almost didn't post it, but then decided, "But it's got some good bits."

Spoiler: Show
The last couple of days, instead of watching and writing another episode, I found myself drawing this comic. Then I stalled another day, wondering if I wanted to post it, because for some reason I didn't like it, and I couldn't pin down why, and I thought that strange. I've posted sloppier art, after all. :)

It's a funny thing, but the more I draw and write, the harder it becomes to not draw and write. Used to be, if a concept or character conversation would pop into my head, I might daydream about it for a bit, then I could put it aside. But now that I'm more capable, there are times when a creation will demand that I call it forth, and nag me until I somehow lay it. I try to listen to these calls, now and then, trusting that the muse knows what it's doing. This story was a demanding one.

I've called out Zelazny a couple'a times here, as you've noticed; here's an overt shout-out. He explains in one of his introductions that, when writing a novel, he would often write a scene or event for his main character(s) that was never intended to appear in print. It may be referenced in the story, or not, but he'd know it was there and that it happened, and so would the character. This is that sort of a scene; not a recap or part of the main story, just a side thing, involving the characters as I've been writing them (and not exactly as they are in the show, of course), exploring a question that came to mind.

You may or may not have noticed that almost since Minako's introduction, I've had my Usagi nicknaming her "V", instead of, say, "Mina." This wasn't an intentional Order of the Stick riff, it just sounded right. But it never occurred to me to think, until recently, what my Minako thinks of that.

Another piece in the puzzle: Based on extremely tenuous hints early on (that, typically, I seized and ran screaming with), and the continuing observation that Venus often seems strategically-minded in group battles (standing overwatch, bodyguarding Sailor Moon, shouting "eyes front!"), I've been playing it that Minako's the one member of the team who actually believes in Usagi as The Princess. Like, Venus thinks of herself as Moon's knight retainer, seriously. The cartoon's Minako only seemed this way briefly, but it's held on in my rewrite, behind the scenes.

Since much has been made lately of the personality shift in Minako's character, I started thinking about all this… and how I could put a twist on it… and here we are.

I eventually figured out why this comic really bugged me. It bugged me because of what I had Minako do. Faking amnesia is such an incredibly childish thing to do, and I'd like her to be better than that. I mean, even though I play their full-bore player-character crisis-solving mode for yucks, the distress of her friends is genuine. But on the other hand, she is fourteen, and I suppose must be cut a little slack, provided she learns from her mistakes… so I shall hope that some time after this comic, she apologizes to the others and gives 'em a proper explanation, and after the shock passes, they grow that much closer and stronger.

On the other hand, I do think it's funny to suggest that she's screwing up sayings on purpose, and no one realizes that she's joking. Well, maybe not funny, but I have the same problem; apparently, I can be so very dry in person that some people who know me think I'm humorless.

"William, how come you never smile?"
"I am smiling."

Also, I laugh at myself: I let myself get so sloppy with the pencils for these cartoons, but then when I colorized, I very carefully made sure that Minako in the home photo had visible red eye glare from the camera flash. Priorities! :D

Spoiler: Show

Peter Svensson

Reads Too Many Comics
Validated User
Heh.

I heartily approve of the character examination you've done, and the world building. Shadowjack!Sailormoon is a very interesting series, and how and where it diverges from Toei!Sailormoon always amuses me. And seeing the bits that make me go "Oh, I'm so very glad no one spoiled him for *REDACTED BY ORDER OF QUEEN SERENITY* which would have changed the whole thing."

Blazing Bat

Validated User
Oh, cute comic. I can so see Minako's friends acting like that if they thought something was wrong. Rei's reaction at the end is also very appropriate.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Wow, that's awesome.

And, you know, considering some of the stuff she pulls later on, I can almost see Minako doing that.

Random observation : the kanji for "Minako" can also be read as "Binasu" (though you're not supposed to), which is very close to the way "Venus" is pronunced in Japanese. So the "V" nickname could also be explained away as Usagi misreading the first kanji in Minako's name...

Unka Josh

Social Justice Chimera
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So you need a friend of a friend, whom you know nothing about, to… ;)

Seriously, I actually respect the situation, because I'm often that way myself. When one is responsible, one is supposed to be responsible, damn it all!

Even when it sucks! Because one is being responsible. Grumble gripe.

So respect.
Thanks.

(My private collection is another thing, but I don't bring that to conventions. I hang with industry reps at conventions, for God's sake! And it pays off...)

ANT Pogo

Yuki Approved
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
That actually makes perfect sense, Shadowjack! Not least because Minako's personality shift is otherwise entirely unexplained.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom