• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IWIW] Walkin' on Sailor Moon (thread 3 of a continuing series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Random question (not related to the episode in question)... do we ever get to see the transformation sequence of the Sailor Scouts returning to their normal forms?
We already got one in episode #51, when Usagi's brooch was broken.

Spoiler: Show
The only "consensual" detransformation happens in Season 3, in one of the Mimete episodes. It's very subdued.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
And...did you like Makoto´s new Power Performance ?
You gave not more than a new Attack name to it, so, you didn´t...? :(
I mean...
She even went down to FULL INCANTATION MODE !
(at least *that* you expressed accordingly...;))
Dude.

BAHAMUT.

That says it all, friend.

I did think of writing in a scene afterwards where she summons the lightning dragon to go for a ride, alá Neverending Story. But the dialogue would basically have been:

Makoto: "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!"

Random question (not related to the episode in question)... do we ever get to see the transformation sequence of the Sailor Scouts returning to their normal forms?
I think we've seen a voluntary fade back, haven't we? Ah, no, not the Sailors, but Tuxedo Mask. And it just fades away. Given that, and the forced de-power of Usagi just recently, I assume it looks the same for the Sailors. When they're done, they just let it go away.

Blazing Bat

Validated User
I think we've seen a voluntary fade back, haven't we? Ah, no, not the Sailors, but Tuxedo Mask. And it just fades away. Given that, and the forced de-power of Usagi just recently, I assume it looks the same for the Sailors. When they're done, they just let it go away.
The de-power is actually more flashy than the regular detransformation, which is only seen once during the series, in season 3.

Knightsky

Making wizards funky again
Validated User
We already got one in episode #51, when Usagi's brooch was broken.

Spoiler: Show
The only "consensual" detransformation happens in Season 3, in one of the Mimete episodes. It's very subdued.
Ah, I had forgotten about the brooch-break.

But yeah, was thinking more of the regular 'power-down' de-transformation. Thanks for the info.

JeanneHedge

Validated User
Now for the constructive criticism: after looking at the sketches a bit, I found that three of them resembled Ami better than the rest: Upper left corner, the one directly below that, and the 'uh oh' one. The reason, to me, seems to be the nose. In the animation, it's a small triangle that gives the impression of the nose being somewhat upward-turned, but the upper line of the triangle is barely ever shorter than the lower one. While drawing that lower line longer might be a particularity of your art style, I don't think it really fits Ami, and it makes the nose look as if it's sitting a bit lower in the face than it should. Also, your face-to-hair ratio seems slightly off in favour of the face. Not by very much, but I noticed that it was most prominent in all the four last pictures, which resemble her least (but they also have the long lower nose line).
I'm definitely not an artist, but IMO her face may be a little too full? Thing is, the bad ass Ami pic doesn't have whatever the "problem" is to my mind, yet her face is just as full there as it is in the others. Maybe it's the angle? Maybe it's that the left side of her face (our left, her right) appears to have cheekbones (I don't think it really does, I think it's the way it's drawn, with the eyewear and all).

My 2 cents, for whatever that's worth.

Cruton

Retired User
You know, for some reason, this episode makes me think, "Gee, that's a lot of physical comedy on Ami's part. She's usually the one everybody reacts to."

Am I wrong?

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I do tend to push the size of the face up in the smaller pictures. Just the way I do 'em, so the facial expression shows up at that scale. I'm experimenting with deliberate scaling effects these days, hence the larger, more realistic images alongside the inch-highs. (I have a strange bad habit of cramping into a smaller and smaller space as I work, so the later in a drawing session, the smaller the images… theoretically, if I could work in a single session forever, I'd get down to atomic scale, with a blunt pencil.)

Ami is damn hard to get, she's so subtle. I've been trying again today, varying the eyes and hair, and just can't get her quite there. I often end up having her look baffled rather than sad. But as we've noticed, even the series artists can't pin her down, so I don't feel too bad about it.

Makoto and Usagi are easy to caricature. Minako a little less so; she's got interesting stress and rest states. Rei I intentionally push away from the original design for effect—she's actually softer than I draw her, but since she's often sharp in behavior, I put it into the face and eyes, since my pictures, obviously, don't move.

You know, for some reason, this episode makes me think, "Gee, that's a lot of physical comedy on Ami's part. She's usually the one everybody reacts to."

Am I wrong?
I didn't think of it that way, but you're right. Before, she's made others fall down from their reaction takes, or plays straight woman while the others take pratfalls.

Last edited:

pijodo

Validated User
And...did you like Makoto´s new Power Performance ?
How can somebody *not* like it ?
It´s a MOTHERF***ING LIGHTNING DRAGON !!!!1!!
:p

Mako: "No way! Maybe he really IS the Moonlight Knight. What should I do? Subtlety isn't my schtick…"
Not to uncomprehensible, tho...
Mako: "Um, Seijuro, you wouldn't happen to like white roses, would you? And, to, uh, dress in Arabian costume and maybe fight crime sometimes?"
Ah, yes, well...
No, Makoto truely is about as subtle as a thuderstorm over aforest (one with several highr trees)...
;)

Blazing Bat

Validated User
I'm definitely not an artist, but IMO her face may be a little too full? Thing is, the bad ass Ami pic doesn't have whatever the "problem" is to my mind, yet her face is just as full there as it is in the others. Maybe it's the angle? Maybe it's that the left side of her face (our left, her right) appears to have cheekbones (I don't think it really does, I think it's the way it's drawn, with the eyewear and all).

My 2 cents, for whatever that's worth.
Hmm, possibly. I didn't think too much about the outline of the face, because it tends to be exactly the same for all of the senshi. As Shadowjack does this already by using a similar curve for all of the senshi's faces, this didn't really register.

This will require some experimentation.

Yes, I think you are right. Ami's face ends up looking a bit too pointy with just the curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom