• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IWIW] Walkin' on Sailor Moon (thread 3 of a continuing series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Well, they don't do it obviously, but they still do it. At one point, I used an image processing program to to put two faces over each other and compare, and it turned out that the shape was exactly the same. It's not easy to tell in the show because the characters usually don't hold their head in the same way while they are in the same picture, but it's definitely there.
Same head shape, yes, but different eyes/mouth/nose, which is what I meant. :)

Ashikaider

seeker of things AWESOME
Dire Straights is a band. In the 80s they had a big hit with a song called 'Money For Nothing'

You might be familiar with the video, or the parody by Weird Al Yankovic, 'Beverly Hillbillies'.

The reference is a lyric from the song-- o/' That's the way you do it, get your money for nothing, and your chicks for for free o/'

so when you had someone say "That's the way to do it", I automatically heard "chicks for free".

It's just one of those weird tangents one can go on at times.

Blazing Bat

Validated User
That angry Usagi with fire in the background scene inspired me to do some drawing. Specifically, it reminded me of that scene from FF7 where Sephiroth stands in the fire. So I gave it a try.

This revealed that I still can't draw hands, but also that I can't draw fire, which is news to me, so something good came from it.

Also, does anyone know what's wrong with a graphics tablet when the pen jumps over an entire vertical region of the screen? And how to fix it? It's located in a pretty inconvenient place, and it's driving me nuts.

Gargoylewing

flying over a post-factual world
Validated User
Ah, well, I loved this episode for taking the sillyness of the arc and playing it up to ELEVEN!!1! right in the perfect spotlight...so to speak.

En: "Love is something we should take! Kissing and winning the love of a person who has been sleeping: that's it exactly!" /gazes at the moon. "I'll steal a kiss from Mamoru's lips and win his love!"
Ah, isn´t it actually nice to see that they even in this arc still keep it consistent?
The theme of "taking love" is Reprised!.
Rei /Subject-Changing Prana: "Mamoru's in trouble."
Usagi /:eek: "OH NOES ZOMG!!!"
Rei: "…You want to hear this?"
Usagi: "No! Yes!"
Ami: "Mamoru's producing a play at Juban Hall."
Usagi: "…A fate worse than death, apparently?"
Rei: "The problem is, his friends were going to be in it, but they had a big fight over the casting, and now, no one's in it."
I bet Motoki wanted to play the prince, but Mamoru was against it...:D

Makoto /suplex. "Nonsense! The choice is clear. She's a princess, right? Obviously, a landowner is best suited for the part—and I've been told by fans that I live alone."
Usagi: "You don't mean—?"
Mako: "Yes! I should play Snow White because I have HUGE TRACTS OF LAND!"
Hm, I heard of the "Talent!" meme, but that

Is the only Ma(k)cro I could find to it. Did I get that right, that it was originally only a "spoken" memeticked sentence, and that it was only later added as Subtext to the scene (for COMEDY!), or am I failing ?

Ali: Especially if I'm playing against you, honeybunny."
En: "Sorry, pumpkin, but we already have a Prince.
Aha ! I see, and welcome, any Pulp Fiction reference coming up to me.:)

Ali :"Look, I'm the last scion of a dying race, here. I rate 'Prince', at least.
Ali: "No Prince, no Ali."
Ooooh, is that an Alladdin Reference here ? Cause I´d like those, too...

En: "Hear me, O alien gods of this world! [...] Iä! Iä! Amen."
I do not eve *need* an answer on that...
Mako Gorilla /also can't take it any more. "And if we're doing animal suits, shouldn't Minako be the one with the gorilla suit?"
Ami Tanuki: "Wow, talk about obscure cinema riffs."
Right, I do not even get this one...:(

Actually, she looks kind of cute in the dress, but never mind that now.
Indeed. And it is a real Snowwhite costume.

Bipierrot bows to the audience and plays it up,
mugging and generally encouraging applause.
This Cardian really knows how it is done.

Bipierrot brandishes an EVIL UMBRELLA and begins
to drain energy from the audience .
"Ah, the Spiral Umbrelly...Don´t you recall this little thing, Mr Wing?"
Indeed, Mr. Gargoyle, but to our all sake, we should go on with what *is* happening."
ENTER SAILOR MOON, from below.
"A dramatic entrance, as I suspect it. After all, she *is* the Main Character."
"I agree totally, as she already said it. Or, "Lampshaded", as those young kids call it today. Sadly, I guess, with her speech she gives her true identity more to the open than even Ami-san did, Mr. Gargoyle."
I agree, luckily, the audience is too flabbergasted about what the devil is going on, anyway..."
ENTER MOONLIGHT KNIGHT, dramatically, armed
with +3 blessed throwing roses! Sailor Moon is
released immediately.
"Appropriate time, as always, and here, even his overly melodramatic ways seem to fit."
"Well, yes. Also, I must say, I would have liked the play more if it werer Tuxedo Mask, or something, in the piece, but I know that the timeline we are in, does not allow this. Of course, I must add, this timeline problem is entirely Usagis fault."
MOONLIGHT KNIGHT
I do not know who you are, but all the girls
know who I am. I am the Moonlight Knight,
and I am here!
"So, how do all the girls know who he is, if we were told last episode that he is only in town a couple of weeks ?"
"Well, in this timeline, the Knight must have installed a running Merchandising machinery. All girls love princes, Arabian or not."
MARS
Passionate like the fire!
"I totally like how they brought back in the Phoenix Symbol to Mars´entrance."
"Indeed. If Sailor Senshi had Coats of Arms, the animal of Mars totally should be the Firebird. Of course, being the Senshi of War, Mars having a Coat of Arms would actually make sense.
"
JUPITER
I was born with this strength.
"Speaking of animals, Mr. Wing, where did the Lightning Dragon go we discovered for Jupiter last episode ?"
"Well, she maybe wanted not to draw *too* much lime light onto herself. Luckily, she also restrained from bringing another bosom joke. Too often bringing it could have destroyed the meme before it was even born..."

MERCURY
Water permeates all things, and so does
this one penetrate the unseen and gather
all knowledge to her heart!
"She truely is giving away her identity in the original version too clearly, althought Usagis entrance could be seen as worse."

VENUS
The legendary mask is a thing of the past!
"O another timeline´s present, but who can say this so for sure...?"
Well, Mr Gargoyle, as we remember, that in this timeline she also has obviously a smaller fanbase, as we saw, even boys who should like shooter girl characters, had no idea who she is, we now could at least determinate from where all the publicity the Moonlight Knight claims to have had been taken from."
"Ah, an interesting thoght, hopefully, someone can follow..."

Mars leaps forward and places a prayer strip upon
Bipierrot. Bipierrot is staggered, frozen in place.
"Freezing youmas on place is also something, they tend to keep consistent, which is a plus."

A howl of ice and snow, and Bipierrot is frostbitten
and frozen.
"And, if I may throw in, so they do here. Which is as much surprising as it is well, also, Mercury lacked an offensive power way too long."
MOONLIGHT KNIGHT
Now this is a happy ending. A girl's face
in the spotlight is beautiful. Adieu.
EXIT MOONLIGHT KNIGHT, dramatically, with
swirl of cape.
"Mr. Wing, I did not see him swirling his cape..."
"Neither did I, but we can assume he did it up, before vanishing.
But *I* must say this is completely staying in context, whith the Knight leaving per stage devices. Of a moon, of course, no less."

Shingo /flipping through the program. "I don't remember Sailor Moon being in Snow White." /throws program away. "But who cares? This is much more fun!"
[...]
And the crowd goes wild!
Shingo: "BEST PLAY EVAR!"
[Gargoylewing] I totally and wholeheartedly agree ![/Gargoylewing]
*smiles*

CURTAIN DROPS.
Audience: "ENCORE! ENCORE!"
The Sailors /step out and take a bow.
Naru's Mom: "BOOO! Where's my little girl? Where's her part?"
Ah, nice that you have not forgotten about Naru´s Mom.:)
And that you keep on the track that Naru was a Silver Millensium Noblewoman (who of course would have never let a chance to a great ball on the Moon go.
Spoiler: Show
anyone saying it could be someone else: shut up ;); anyone claiming it could have been one of the Outers: they were not on Earth or Moon at that time...

DENOUEMENT
Police Detective Not-Appearing-In-This-Film: "…so the entire real cast was all tied up in the back by the monster?"
It all makes so much more sense when he appears in the series.:D
I hope we will see more of him in the future.;)

Last edited:

Peter Svensson

Reads Too Many Comics
Validated User
English Dub Jupiter: Well I think I should play Snow White! I mean, after all, it's obvious I clearly have the most acting experience and talent around here!

*everyone disagrees*

English Dub Jupiter: BUT I'M THE ONE WITH THE MOST TALENT HERE!

*Mars ogles boobies*

---

Once that episode aired, all of organized SM fandom began referring to breasts as "talents" or talking about which characters were the most talented and so on. It's all because DiC had to edit the script around the whole breast reference. There's a ton of situations where they tried to edit around material that wouldn't fly for US audiences and well, didn't quite succeed.

EDIT: To illustrate... a youtube comparison video!

Last edited:

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
Re: Sailor Moon R Episode #56: Steal Mamoru's Kiss! En's Snow White Strategy.

Oh, my Prince, would that you drink of my lips so—
I and two of my friends are sure this is a quote from something. Something involving an absolutely terrible audition. But the detail, alas, eludes us. :(

Davies

Validated User
Re: Sailor Moon R Episode #56: Steal Mamoru's Kiss! En's Snow White Strategy.

I and two of my friends are sure this is a quote from something. Something involving an absolutely terrible audition. But the detail, alas, eludes us. :(
The Rocketeer movie, I believe.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Dire Straights is a band. In the 80s they had a big hit with a song called 'Money For Nothing'

You might be familiar with the video, or the parody by Weird Al Yankovic, 'Beverly Hillbillies'.

The reference is a lyric from the song-- o/' That's the way you do it, get your money for nothing, and your chicks for for free o/'

so when you had someone say "That's the way to do it", I automatically heard "chicks for free".

It's just one of those weird tangents one can go on at times.
I knew who Dire Straights is, btw. :D Though I don't know their music well…

"That's the way to do it!" is one of the traditional lines of Punch, from Punch and Judy shows, which this week's monster resembles a little. I didn't find a way to sneak in, "Oh, wot a pity wot a pity," however, which is one line I've always heard in those shows.

Punch smacks someone around. "Oh, wot a pity!" Smacks 'em s'more and knocks their head clean off. "That's the way to do it!" Enter the next victim.

The Rocketeer movie, I believe.
Correct!

Gargoylewing said:
Right, I do not even get this one...
Bwahaha! My turn for spoilers. :D

Spoiler: Show
There's a 1932 Marlene Dietrich movie called Blonde Venus, which has an infamous musical number called "Hot Voodoo", where she strip-teases out of a gorilla suit, then dances about the stage in a fro and, like, tiger skins. With black "native dancers" around her. It's… well, it's something.

So, Venus, gorilla suit, there we go.

Oh, and I forgot Cary Grant was in that, in an very early role.

Gargoylewing said:
It all makes so much more sense when [Detective Not-Appearing-in-This-Film] appears in the series.
I hope we will see more of him in the future.
I suspect we will have to. ;)

That angry Usagi with fire in the background scene inspired me to do some drawing. Specifically, it reminded me of that scene from FF7 where Sephiroth stands in the fire. So I gave it a try.

*snip*[/URL]

This revealed that I still can't draw hands, but also that I can't draw fire, which is news to me, so something good came from it.
And now you know why I like to stretch in practice.

Fire looks fine to me! I agree on the hands (and you didn't even try feet), and the pose and proportion are a little out -of-joint. (Limbs different lengths, etc. But I'm sure you see that.)

On the other hand, good detail on the clothing, and actually trying to do the knee joints and so forth.

This is why I tend to go loose, myself—following gestures and motions—because I suck at real anatomy. :p

In Jules Feiffer's The Man in the Ceiling, about (among other things) a boy who wants to be a cartoonist, there's a bit where he describes how the boy learns to cover up for not being able to draw hands, by having all his superheroes wear BIG BLACK GAUNTLETS. I think of that bit often… sometimes feeling like art is all about directing attention away from one's faults…

Also, does anyone know what's wrong with a graphics tablet when the pen jumps over an entire vertical region of the screen? And how to fix it? It's located in a pretty inconvenient place, and it's driving me nuts.
Don't know. Various ideas come to mind: the tablet is fuxxored, the wire connection is fuxxored, the software driver is fuxxored, or you're bumping the mouse or keyboard somehow and causing it to jump around. (I sometimes do the reverse—my mouse cursor won't respond, and I realize it's because my stylus fell on the tablet.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom