J K R O W L I N G, oh no, you did not just... :o

Robin Low

Validated User
1) During an interview before the book series had even finished, someone asked her if Dumbledore had ever married, and she responded that he hadn't since she'd always thought of him as being gay.
Was that really before the series was finished? Sorry, I don't mean to doubt you, but when the press reported it I wasn't surprised because of some of the stuff in the final book.

Regards,

Robin

darktalon

Merchant of Chaos
Validated User
Was that really before the series was finished? Sorry, I don't mean to doubt you, but when the press reported it I wasn't surprised because of some of the stuff in the final book.
I don't know the chronology, but yeah, the subtext in Deathly Hallows isn't exactly subtle. Anyone who knows anything about how the tabloid press operates knows what Rita Skeeter was implying.

Kastor Krieg

Harano
Validated User
Of course, the books are told from Harry's point of view, including an inner monologue of his thoughts and emotions; and it's very clear that he has romantic and sexual thoughts and feelings about a number of girls but never about any boys.
Ah, my only contact with the Potterverse were the movies, the filthy heathen me :p

PeterM

Validated User
Reqlly? Could've sworn it was Twitter. Ah well. Thanks for the correction
I think it was a tweet quoting the relevant bit off of Pottermore that brought it into the general consciousness and started the fireworks. That's how I saw it, at least. The tweet might've been from Pottermore itself, quoting its archives.

Zaleramancer

Social Justice Warlock
Validated User
The pottermore related stuff is secondary in my discontent with her.

I’m personally done with JK because at this point she needs to either put up or shut up with regards to gay characters. I refuse to believe she couldn’t write a book with one, or demand that they include one in those films. She’s got a lot of leverage.

She just comes across as wanting the praise of being inclusive without actually writing any queer characters being queer in her stories.

Little Rabbit Foo Foo

Validated User

Regards,

Robin
I've checked, and I might not have been quite right. The interview when she said it occured during the publicity tour for Deathly Hallows, so it co-incided with the release of the final book, but was before the "extra" books (Fantasic Beasts and Quidditch through the Ages) and before the films had finished coming out.

It certainly wasn't - as people suggest - a ret-con long after the event.

Pip

Citizen of Ireland
Validated User
I don't know the chronology, but yeah, the subtext in Deathly Hallows isn't exactly subtle. Anyone who knows anything about how the tabloid press operates knows what Rita Skeeter was implying.
Yeah. Rowling was definitely trying to give the impression of a repressed backwards society where the idea that a major wizard had an affair with a man is more scandalous than the fact the man was wizard hitter.

It would work a lot better if she wasn’t also being just as hypocritical herself by never actually acknowledging the existence of LGBT people except by implication.

Top Bottom