James Desborough and rape culture

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Shadowy Mr. Evans

Banned
Re: Mongoose and reactions part two

Somethingelse said:
...that seems to be because you are willfully ignoring it.
So everyone who asks a question is obviously willfully ignoring the answer? We're all actually omniscient beings, we simply chose to not know what the connections between one thing and the other are?

rekenner

Retired User

The Shadowy Mr. Evans said:
So rape culture is drunk fratboys and evil rednecks? that seems a little too obvious, I assumed we were talking about something pervasive.
It's them, sure.
Along with a lot of other people. That's one of the things where it's easy to say "The people I like and agree with aren't misogynists" and then that leads to "People I like and agree with wouldn't ever rape someone" and when confronted with that issue, dismiss it. I'm not saying you would or do, but that's the mindset that leads to dismissal of rape.

Bootleg Girl

RPGnet Member
Banned

So everyone who asks a question is obviously willfully ignoring the answer? We're all actually omniscient beings, we simply chose to not know what the connections between one thing and the other are?
I'm saying that if you can't understand the parallels between women receiving rape threats for one petition, and women receiving death and rape threats for speaking in front of Congress, you're willfully ignoring something.

insomniac

Validated User

There does seem to be a connection to be drawn between "a woman comments on sexism in video gamer culture, is inundated by rape threats" and "a woman complains of a RPG author's sexism, is inundated by rape threats."

The Shadowy Mr. Evans

Banned

MorsRattus said:
Look at the language used to shout them down.
ah, okay. I think I see what your saying, it was just an odd response to my question regarding the use of the term "culture". I guess it's like "homophobia", anothe rterm that doesn't mean what it literally means. Which I can't help but think is counterproductive, especially in this case. I mean, if "rape culture" is just an obscure way of saying "blaming the victim", what benefit is it as a term to replace the phrase "blaming the victim?" I assumed that there were other implications.

The Shadowy Mr. Evans

Banned

There does seem to be a connection to be drawn between "a woman comments on sexism in video gamer culture, is inundated by rape threats" and "a woman complains of a RPG author's sexism, is inundated by rape threats."
That connection is most likely a bunch of 14-year old Anons online, I would think.

Lenin

Tolerant Ent
Validated User

It does look a little naive, to have missed all discussion of these matters where the link has been explicit.

Others are probably better placed to answer the question, but my simplified version is this: Rape culture is about women's bodies being available for men's desire for sex, regardless of how women feel about it; control of reproductive rights is about women's bodies being available for men's desire to reproduce, regardless of how women feel about it. The fact that rape can lead to pregnancy just adds a cherry to the sundae.

The Shadowy Mr. Evans

Banned

I'm saying that if you can't understand the parallels between women receiving rape threats for one petition, and women receiving death and rape threats for speaking in front of Congress, you're willfully ignoring something.
So, you're calling me willfully ignorant for something I never said nor even came close to discussing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom