• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Jaws of the Six Serpents?

Shenron007

The Last Paladin
Validated User
I have a recap thread of our Jaws of the Six Serpents game... It is quite some time ago, but we had a blast with it.

I get into some of the stuff happening at the table and how our gamers interacted with the system... check it out..

Thank you. I will read through it.

The pdf is really impressive.

I am curious - what else can you use the urges for besides powering sorcery and downgrading the quality for an extra d6?

seanairt

Validated User
How is it possible that I've never seen this play report?!? Thanks for sharing it! I look forward to reading through it.

Storn

Validated User
Thank you. I will read through it.

The pdf is really impressive.

I am curious - what else can you use the urges for besides powering sorcery and downgrading the quality for an extra d6?
To be honest, I gamed that a long time ago. I don't really recall, except maybe players really did pay attention to the urges and a lot of roleplay came out of it. The addiction one in particular was played to the hilt.

seanairt

Validated User
To be honest, I gamed that a long time ago. I don't really recall, except maybe players really did pay attention to the urges and a lot of roleplay came out of it. The addiction one in particular was played to the hilt.
I'm only just getting started reading it due to time constraints, but was there ever a "post game mortem" where you tell us how well the players liked it, what went well and what could be better? Mostly just curious.

Storn

Validated User
I'm only just getting started reading it due to time constraints, but was there ever a "post game mortem" where you tell us how well the players liked it, what went well and what could be better? Mostly just curious.
We definitely had a post mortem and actually there was spin off campaign with 2 players. But I didn't write it up and I'm afraid that the mists of time have eroded a lot of what was said. Actually, 2 spin-offs, the 2nd being a Legends of Anglerre game with all new players played online (my old Ann Arbor gaming group). The Legends of Anglerre did get some write up. All the games kinda just petered out as both groups have a bit of gamer ADD and new games sang their siren song.

We were really going for a sword and sorcery vibe and I think we achieved that. I remember being fairly happy with Jaws. With our group it was a very easy, very evocative game, especially after playing the much more crunchy (but beloved) Burning Wheel. If I was going to do Sword and Sorcery, I would have gone back to Jaws. Until now. I recently was in a playtest for Pelgrane Press's Swords of the Serpentine sword and sorcery RPG, a Gumshoe variant, that is just awesome! I can't wait til it is published so I can share my actual play report.

As a side note, I also want to say, Tim Grey, the author of Jaws, was a true pleasure to work with. I did the artwork on the covers of the Jaws books.

seanairt

Validated User
We definitely had a post mortem and actually there was spin off campaign with 2 players. But I didn't write it up and I'm afraid that the mists of time have eroded a lot of what was said. Actually, 2 spin-offs, the 2nd being a Legends of Anglerre game with all new players played online (my old Ann Arbor gaming group). The Legends of Anglerre did get some write up. All the games kinda just petered out as both groups have a bit of gamer ADD and new games sang their siren song.

We were really going for a sword and sorcery vibe and I think we achieved that. I remember being fairly happy with Jaws. With our group it was a very easy, very evocative game, especially after playing the much more crunchy (but beloved) Burning Wheel. If I was going to do Sword and Sorcery, I would have gone back to Jaws. Until now. I recently was in a playtest for Pelgrane Press's Swords of the Serpentine sword and sorcery RPG, a Gumshoe variant, that is just awesome! I can't wait til it is published so I can share my actual play report.

As a side note, I also want to say, Tim Grey, the author of Jaws, was a true pleasure to work with. I did the artwork on the covers of the Jaws books.
Those are two of my favorite book covers! Well done, sir. Well done.

seanairt

Validated User
Oh, by the way Shenron007 Shenron007 , I was reading through Storn Storn 's AP and it occurred to me that there's a bit of tribal knowledge that almost never comes up in forums, but PDQ people tend to know. That is, on a 2D6 scale, PDQ's MOD's are going to push the average result of a die roll higher on a regular basis. Meaning you don't want to be setting your challenges at TN 7 if you want to actually challenge the player. If the average die result on 2D6 is 7, and your MOD's adjust that value in increments of +2, then you're going to want to not be too squeamish about setting difficulties at the higher end of the scale. These are TN's 11 and 13 as written, but Master quality players can, before stacking qualities, reach results of 18. Given this, I've taken to using the Master Chart from PDQ#, which you can find on Page 3 of this free download.

For monsters and baddies that need to be challenging, don't be shy about loading em up with oodles of qualities, even if they serve no other purpose than to soak damage.

Edit: Basically, if you want to challenge them, you want them thinking about creative ways they can stack their qualities to turn a situation to their advantage.

Shenron007

The Last Paladin
Validated User
Oh, by the way Shenron007 Shenron007 , I was reading through Storn Storn 's AP and it occurred to me that there's a bit of tribal knowledge that almost never comes up in forums, but PDQ people tend to know. That is, on a 2D6 scale, PDQ's MOD's are going to push the average result of a die roll higher on a regular basis. Meaning you don't want to be setting your challenges at TN 7 if you want to actually challenge the player. If the average die result on 2D6 is 7, and your MOD's adjust that value in increments of +2, then you're going to want to not be too squeamish about setting difficulties at the higher end of the scale. These are TN's 11 and 13 as written, but Master quality players can, before stacking qualities, reach results of 18. Given this, I've taken to using the Master Chart from PDQ#, which you can find on Page 3 of this free download.

For monsters and baddies that need to be challenging, don't be shy about loading em up with oodles of qualities, even if they serve no other purpose than to soak damage.

Edit: Basically, if you want to challenge them, you want them thinking about creative ways they can stack their qualities to turn a situation to their advantage.
That is some really food advice and something that I did not know about or realize.

I also have to agree that the covers are really amazing.

Speaking of PDQ in general Atomic Sock Monkey seems to be quite.

Also, does anyone know here I can snag a copy of 7 skies?

seanairt

Validated User
That is some really food advice and something that I did not know about or realize.

I also have to agree that the covers are really amazing.

Speaking of PDQ in general Atomic Sock Monkey seems to be quite.

Also, does anyone know here I can snag a copy of 7 skies?
The best way to get S7S now is as a PDF release on Drivethru. It finally went out of print earlier this year when Evil Hat had a bit of a fire sale. And, yeah, Chad sadly seems to have moved on from gaming in recent years. His games, particularly S7S, are among my all-time favorites and are still among the most-loved with my friends and family. Similarly, I don't really know what Tim Gray is up to these days either. The most recent thing I've seen him do is rework Questers of the Middle Reams a little and re-release it. I'd love to see him do more, too, because Jaws is to this day the #1 S&S choice of game in my little corner of the world (it is, in fact, still sitting on my desk - never far from reach).

Top Bottom