• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Jaws of the Six Serpents?

Shenron007

The Last Paladin
Validated User
Ya, the Swashbucklers of the 7 Skies has been a frustrating thing. I didnt discover PDQ until recently and by then all the aftermarket drives soared through the roof and Evil Hat Games was long out of stock due to their fire sale.

That is a bummer about Chad. He seems to have really produced some great stuff.

As for Tim Gray, I just had a correspondence with him and he is mostly working on editing other publishers games these days. He went to to say that he has more Albion stuff on a very dusty to do list.

What's your opinion about Truth and Justice?

seanairt

Validated User
I think T&J is certainly a worthy contender in the supers genre. You can kind of tell it's one of the earlier PDQ games. OF all the PDQ family though, it's probably the one that has seen the least amount of play at my table. It's ever so slightly more fiddly than the others, and when we play PDQ we tend to favor the system for its simplicity. That's not really a fault of the game, however. That's just how our preferences align. And also at roughly the same time S7S was really catching on with us (which, ironically enough, is also more fiddly - but in ways that resonated more for what we wanted to do), and that game dominated our time for years.

To this day I've never had another game go longer with my group, and it's the only game I've ever run straight (including the setting).

Still, that said, if I wanted a PDQ game where I tried to do something more on the scale of Godbound or Exalted (but in PDQ's own way), I'd be very, very tempted to reach for T&J and use it as the basis for my game. PDQ# may still win out in the end, but I have little doubt you could do a game on that power level with T&J.

Last edited:

Shenron007

The Last Paladin
Validated User
How Swashbucklers of the 7 Skies fiddly?

Any experience with Dead Inside or Sorcerers of Zo?

Do you happen to have any of your old campaign notes from Jaws?

Private Eye

Private Eye
Validated User
I'll just come in with my own thoughts about PDQ, which is one of the most enduring older games I own.

T&J was my first introduction to PDQ and I have played it a lot - we really liked it as a system and played loads of M&M and ICONS scenarios using it - they were always a snip to convert, but I agree it can be a little fiddly at times, and the difference between Super Armour and Invulnerability was something I always had to re-read every time we played!

I also really like the T&J version of Legends Walk, where the characters are all empowered by gods, heroes and monsters of ancient legend - I can see some truly epic games to be had here, and for my money it can do Scion better then the Scion rules.

Zorcerer of Zo is pretty good, with a stripped down version of the system, but at least half the book is essentially a campaign write up - which makes excellent reading but doesn't add much more to the rules.

Jaws of the Six Serpents and Serpent's Teeth are my absolute favourites - just the right amount of rules, and a superb magic system. I especially like the rules for danger levels, which really brings something extra to encounters. The Pulp guidance in Serpent's Teeth is also brilliant stuff - I wish there was more.

The Achtung Cthulhu! version is also excellent, though the rules for scaling creatures, tanks etc are different from the ones in T&J so they aren't completely compatible as written. I dearly wish there was a PoD version as I would buy it in an instance.

A couple of final comments - I have found the system really adaptable, and one of my most successful Mage: The Ascension campaigns was run using a PDQ version of the rules that I wrote. I think T&J is crying out for a revised edition, and have often thought about trying to write a revised version for personal use.

A great set of games/

seanairt

Validated User
I agree completely with P Private Eye 's assessment of Zoercerer of Zo. It's claim to fame was the "behind the curtain" notes from both the GM and players' perspectives. Mechanically, it won't add anything at all.

I, too, wish Achtung! Cthulhu had a POD option as I would certainly buy it.

As for what makes S7S somewhat fiddly - it added some things to the game. First that come to mind are "techniques" which add little +1 bonuses under certain circumstances. These can be either "chained" or "unchained" to your qualities. In the case of the former, they're a bit cheaper to buy. There's also a thing called "style dice", which you get for doing swashbucklery things. What makes these fiddly is that there are two separate sources: the "box" and the "bowl". The how and when you draw from these is something I won't go into, but it is in my opinion one of the more unnecessary additions to the game, and we actually just awarded style die based on good role play and heroic deeds and such. Then you have the combat modifications, which are my favorite change from "core" PDQ. Basically, in combat you get 3D6 to roll instead of two. You can split these 3D6 however you like between offense and defense (example: 2D6 to attack and 1D6 to defend)

Shenron007

The Last Paladin
Validated User
A couple of final comments - I have found the system really adaptable, and one of my most successful Mage: The Ascension campaigns was run using a PDQ version of the rules that I wrote. I think T&J is crying out for a revised edition, and have often thought about trying to write a revised version for personal use.

A great set of games/
That sound great. Do you happen to have your notes for your Mage game? That sounds like it would be truly epic.

I agree completely with P Private Eye 's assessment of Zoercerer of Zo. It's claim to fame was the "behind the curtain" notes from both the GM and players' perspectives. Mechanically, it won't add anything at all.

I, too, wish Achtung! Cthulhu had a POD option as I would certainly buy it.

As for what makes S7S somewhat fiddly - it added some things to the game. First that come to mind are "techniques" which add little +1 bonuses under certain circumstances. These can be either "chained" or "unchained" to your qualities. In the case of the former, they're a bit cheaper to buy. There's also a thing called "style dice", which you get for doing swashbucklery things. What makes these fiddly is that there are two separate sources: the "box" and the "bowl". The how and when you draw from these is something I won't go into, but it is in my opinion one of the more unnecessary additions to the game, and we actually just awarded style die based on good role play and heroic deeds and such. Then you have the combat modifications, which are my favorite change from "core" PDQ. Basically, in combat you get 3D6 to roll instead of two. You can split these 3D6 however you like between offense and defense (example: 2D6 to attack and 1D6 to defend)
The whole where the dice comes from seems overly complicated and like you said it is just easy to give the dice out for good rp and all of that. The combat aspect of 3d6 sounds really cool and so the system basically gives you a static defense in a round?

Is the Zoercerer of Zo in POD?

Any thoughts on Dead Inside?

seanairt

Validated User
That sound great. Do you happen to have your notes for your Mage game? That sounds like it would be truly epic.

The whole where the dice comes from seems overly complicated and like you said it is just easy to give the dice out for good rp and all of that. The combat aspect of 3d6 sounds really cool and so the system basically gives you a static defense in a round?

Is the Zoercerer of Zo in POD?

Any thoughts on Dead Inside?
Defense is not static. You can do any of the following:
  • All-out Defense (Negligible Attack) = 0d6 attack, 3d6 defense.
  • Strong Defense (Weak Attack) = 1d6 attack, 2d6 defense.
  • Strong Attack (Weak Defense) = 2d6 attack, 1d6 defense.
  • All-out Attack (Negligible Defense) = 3d6 attack, 0d6 defense.
You can always add the MOD for any relevant quality.

And, yes, ZoZ is available in print on demand. I have no experience with Dead Inside, personally. My game notes tend to be hand-written, so it'd take me a while to dig em up.

mitchw

Viral Marketing Shill?
Validated User
If you got Jaws from Drivethrurpg you may want to go back for the Jaws/Questors of the middle Realms bundle. You get a credit for already owning Jaws.

Questors has a different vibe from Jaws and you might find some things to add to your game in there.

Tancred

All over the shop
Validated User
There’s also Vox, kind of psychological weirdness using PDQ. It’s been a while since I read it but the system sits nicely in complexity just below Swashbucklers - it has techniques from memory but is more generic/flexible. Setting is modern day, a bit Unknown Armies vibe

seanairt

Validated User
I guess since we've managed to bring in every flavor of PDQ into this conversation, I'll also bring up H. P. Lovecraft Preparatory Academy. I backed this on on Kickstarter just because it's a PDQ game and I like encouraging publishers to publish PDQ games. But I haven't played it yet, and it does a few things to the system and frankly I'm probably going to have to read it again before I can really talk about it with any kind of authority on the matter.

Top Bottom