• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Jaws of the Six Serpents?

Shenron007

The Last Paladin
Validated User
Defense is not static. You can do any of the following:
  • All-out Defense (Negligible Attack) = 0d6 attack, 3d6 defense.
  • Strong Defense (Weak Attack) = 1d6 attack, 2d6 defense.
  • Strong Attack (Weak Defense) = 2d6 attack, 1d6 defense.
  • All-out Attack (Negligible Defense) = 3d6 attack, 0d6 defense.
You can always add the MOD for any relevant quality.

And, yes, ZoZ is available in print on demand. I have no experience with Dead Inside, personally. My game notes tend to be hand-written, so it'd take me a while to dig em up.
Ohh, that looks like a really cool idea for combat. Well, if you are ever inspired I would not mind you digging up your notes - it actually would be greatly appreciated.

If you got Jaws from Drivethrurpg you may want to go back for the Jaws/Questors of the middle Realms bundle. You get a credit for already owning Jaws.

Questors has a different vibe from Jaws and you might find some things to add to your game in there.

I did not know about this game either. Would you get this over Serpents Teeth?

There’s also Vox, kind of psychological weirdness using PDQ. It’s been a while since I read it but the system sits nicely in complexity just below Swashbucklers - it has techniques from memory but is more generic/flexible. Setting is modern day, a bit Unknown Armies vibe
This reminds me of that game, Everyone is John (I played this game a few times and it was a blast).

I guess since we've managed to bring in every flavor of PDQ into this conversation, I'll also bring up H. P. Lovecraft Preparatory Academy. I backed this on on Kickstarter just because it's a PDQ game and I like encouraging publishers to publish PDQ games. But I haven't played it yet, and it does a few things to the system and frankly I'm probably going to have to read it again before I can really talk about it with any kind of authority on the matter.
Third Eye Games does some really great stuff. I have actually met Eloy and been in some games with him in addition to working with him. He is a good dude and produces some great games.

I have been reading through the play report and so far it is really awesome. It has been really inspiring.

Is the PDQ# the current edition of PDQ? I was using the other document as reference.

mitchw

Viral Marketing Shill?
Validated User
PDQ# is another flavor of PDQ that does certain things like Swashbuckling. I personally don't consider it to be the "latest" edition, just another option.

mitchw

Viral Marketing Shill?
Validated User
On the choice of Serpents Teeth or Questors, it depends on what you want.

Serpents Teeth is some scenarios and advice for running games in the Jaws setting or with the Jaws rules.

Questors is a full game with a 'lighter' tone than Jaws and it may have some ways to use the rules for magic and such that you may want to adopt for your game.

So, Serpents Teeth if you want to go more specifically into the Jaws rules and setting as opposed to Questors if you want a more general knowledge of how to use PDQ for your own fantasy game.

effkat

Validated User
PDQ# is another flavor of PDQ that does certain things like Swashbuckling. I personally don't consider it to be the "latest" edition, just another option.
Is there a summary of the differences available anywhere?

seanairt

Validated User
None that I know of. Besides some of the mechanical bits I outlined up-thread, here are a few minor changes as well, mostly to reinforce the swashbuckling genre feel.
  • Qualities are called Fortes
  • Weaknesses are called Foibles, and are now unranked. Use them as role playing hooks
  • Being Zeroed Out only occurs after all your fortes are reduced to below poor (prior versions this occurred when any quality reduced to below poor)
  • Characters may now have techniques, which may either be chained or unchained to a quality/forte.
    • Technique: Two weapon fighting - situation: when dueling; weapon: Sword (main hand)
  • In a duel, you divide 3D6 between attack and defense as you see fit and add any relevant MODs.
  • You have "style die", which can be spent in various meta-gamy ways - though IIRC most or many PDQ games also have something similar.
  • You get training points to buy new fortes & techniques when you fail a roll (challenge or duel) - but, again, I'd seen this in some earlier PDQ games, notably Jaws of the Six Serpents.
That's all I can remember off the top of my head.

Eduardoh

Validated User
This threat made me look again at Jaws, and I was reminded how cool it is and how perfect it is for my latest game idea (that I've been searching a system for and haven't found a match yet).

Sorry for a little bit of off-topic (but still on-topic) but I have to ask something for TRO:
-How would you create a character/NPC as a Taken (from The Black Company) or a Mage/Ascendant (from Malazan) with Jaws? Can it support this kind of power along with the usual PCs?

Thanks

seanairt

Validated User
This threat made me look again at Jaws, and I was reminded how cool it is and how perfect it is for my latest game idea (that I've been searching a system for and haven't found a match yet).

Sorry for a little bit of off-topic (but still on-topic) but I have to ask something for TRO:
-How would you create a character/NPC as a Taken (from The Black Company) or a Mage/Ascendant (from Malazan) with Jaws? Can it support this kind of power along with the usual PCs?

Thanks
Hoping someone else can help you out with this, because I haven't read either of those and therefore don't know what they mean in the context of their settings.

The Fiendish Dr. Samsara

The elegant assassin
Validated User
For monsters and baddies that need to be challenging, don't be shy about loading em up with oodles of qualities, even if they serve no other purpose than to soak damage.

Edit: Basically, if you want to challenge them, you want them thinking about creative ways they can stack their qualities to turn a situation to their advantage.
This is a really key point to playing the game. The number of Quality ranks that an actor has is somewhat analogous to the number of Hit Dice a monster has in D&D. I had an idea for this of which I shall speak more below.
What's your opinion about Truth and Justice?
I love T&J. My best supers gaming has come from this game. That said: yeah, it could stand some updating, mostly for clarity. I did house rules doc that I think addresses a lot of these issues: Dr. Samsara's Truth & Justice. One of these is to create a stats called Fight, which is just the number of Quality one has; this gives you a sense of how hard it is to zero someone out.

I then got a bit more ambitious and tried writing what was - in my mind - a kind of 2nd edition expanding upon those ideas. Fell free to take a look if you are interested: The Never-Ending Battle.

seanairt

Validated User
This is a really key point to playing the game. The number of Quality ranks that an actor has is somewhat analogous to the number of Hit Dice a monster has in D&D. I had an idea for this of which I shall speak more below.

I love T&J. My best supers gaming has come from this game. That said: yeah, it could stand some updating, mostly for clarity. I did house rules doc that I think addresses a lot of these issues: Dr. Samsara's Truth & Justice. One of these is to create a stats called Fight, which is just the number of Quality one has; this gives you a sense of how hard it is to zero someone out.

I then got a bit more ambitious and tried writing what was - in my mind - a kind of 2nd edition expanding upon those ideas. Fell free to take a look if you are interested: The Never-Ending Battle.
I'm definitely looking! I've long dreamt of a T&J second edition with higher production values and perhaps an updated take on the system.

Top Bottom