• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

JDCorley makes you into an awesome Changeling GM

JDCorley

Banned
How silly and selfish to think you can go to a new country without speaking the language?

The language is Carroll, Baum, Lear, Shakespeare, Poe, Verne, and Scarry.

We've already mentioned the local music.

White Wolf makes little mention of money. (White Wolf makes very little mention of anything that you've seen so far, you'll find. What kind of path is this? Is it going to end up with you running an entirely new game just based loosely on the book and combining all these other awesome things? Why even bother with the book then? I can't answer every question for you.) This is a serious mistake. Changlings need money, somehow. Being a faerie prince doesn't pay the bills in America, and everyone knows the winters get cold and the summers get hot.

Changelings are immigrants.

Read <a href="http://www.studsterkel.org/dstreet.php">Division Street: America</a> by Studs Terkel.

"You know, it got so every time I got on an elevator - 'What are you reading? What are you reading? What are you reading?' (Laughs.) And I'd begin to enjoy this thing, you know. I was having the best old time. I was absolutely terrifying 'em. Everybody was yelling 'Lucy, Lucy!' Maybe that's why I say, the first name, it came in very handy. Because if they hadda just said, 'Jefferson', nobody probably'd ever knowed it was me. But by making this so commonplace, here's this Negro woman, every time you see her she's reading a different book. You know what I'd do? I'd go to the library and get these books and I'd just dash back home and read these. And truly it became a game with me. I don't think I ever had more fun in my life than I had working right there."

JDCorley

Banned
Teenaged movies and books will help you. There's a great moment (one of few) on the 'Brick' DVD commentary track where the director points out that most movies about teenagers treat their difficulties as either inherently unserious and trivial or as tragedies from an adult perspective. When you were a teenager (maybe you still are), everything seemed heightened, more important, what adults see as trivia you saw as vital. (That's why they take children and not adults. That's why wilders are young. That's why Alice was a young girl, and Dorothy was too. An adult wouldn't have had what it took. Still, the Baudelaire orphans had interesting parents, VFD stands for something, and Count Olaf has an eye tattooed on his ankle.)

Heck, you might as well <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEi9U1kOxGY">rent it.</a>

It's a long movie but you can rent movies for a long time these days. So rent something else at the same time. <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJG3cFrkkcc">Don't fuck with the babysitter.</a>

"See the Pin pipes it from the lowest scraper for Brad Bramish to sell, maybe. Ask any dope rat where their junk sprang and they'll say they scraped it from that, who scored it from this, who bought it off so, and after four or five connections the list always ends with The Pin. But I bet you, if you got every rat in town together and said 'show your hands' if any of them've actually seen The Pin, you'd get a crowd of full pockets."

"You think The Pin's just a tale to take whatever heat?"

"Mmm-hmm... So what's first?"

"Show of hands."

Last edited:

Jilly Hoo

I will screw up your life
I've never heard of the game and I don't like country music (well, apart from some of the older stuff).

I'm already awesome though ;)

JDCorley

Banned
You're pretty close.

You still have to visit <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Barnum-Museum-Stories-American-Literature/dp/1564781798">The Barnum Museum</a> with Stephen Millhauser.

You still have to participate in an <a href="http://unfiction.com/">Alternate Reality Game</a> and go <a href="http://www.geocaching.com/">geocaching</a>. (You thought you could learn to be an awesome Changeling GM without going outside?)

Now you're ready to go back to the beginning and re-read Little, Big again.

Once you do that, THEN you are an awesome Changeling GM.

There are a lot of flaws in the game and system but they won't bother you anymore. That's how awesome you'll be.

The path continues, post your own steps.

Last edited:

Caudex

Validated User
It's also worth reading <I>Neverwhere</I>. While not a great book, it's short, and much better than <I>Little, Big</I> (which begins strongly but descends rapidly into wordcount padding).

Anyway, then go out into town and divide the streets into kingdoms. Wander around the shelves of an old second-hand bookshop (you know the ones, lost of twisty staircases - navigate by different editions of <I>Lorna Doone</I> so that you don't get lost).

Last edited:

JustinCognito

Crepuscular
Validated User
It's also worth reading <I>Neverwhere</I>. While not a great book, it's short, and much better than <I>Little, Big</I> (which begins strongly but descends rapidly into wordcount padding).
Yeah, Neverwhere's great. I was flipping through the graphic novel version today, and honestly considered sending an e-mail to the ST of my Changeling LARP and saying, "Yeah, I know that the new Changeling isn't being published for six months, and you'll likely take care of all duties, but is there any way I could help you set up Boston?"

JDCorley

Banned
YOU GO TO HELL

I mean, um.

I didn't like Neverwhere at all and felt it was a piece of shit and totally wrong for everything related to Changeling.

But that is my path.

Liking Neverwhere is not one of those personal failings that will keep you from walking your path.

Not like not liking country music. That one's fatal.

Last edited:

Caudex

Validated User
I didn't like Neverwhere at all and felt it was a piece of shit and totally wrong for everything related to Changeling.

But that is my path.
There's a lot about Neverwhere which is totally lame - these failings must be looked at as examples of What Not To Do.

For a start, some puns are good but not all.

Top Bottom