• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

JDCorley makes you into an awesome Changeling GM

Thuvasa3

Validated User
I was interested in Changeling before (though I *still* haven't had a good White Wolf gaming experience), but now I'm sold!

Why is the 2nd edition generally frowned on?

Thuv

JDCorley

Banned
I am not sure Second Edition is generally frowned on...I'm not sure Changeling is generally anything at this late date. Witness the stream of people tramping into the thread indicating they have no idea what it is. Second Edition is cleaner and easier. First Edition has a psychotic magic system that is totally unbalanced and awesome and weird.

Important thing: Both are the same game.

JustinCognito

Crepuscular
Validated User
I was interested in Changeling before (though I *still* haven't had a good White Wolf gaming experience), but now I'm sold!

Why is the 2nd edition generally frowned on?

Thuv
A lot of people don't really get past the illustrations in the first chapter after the opening fiction, which involve, among other things, a Willy Wonka clone bearing balloons while a bear chimera paints at an easel. I thought they were a bit silly, but the rest of DiTerlizzi's art convinced me to stay (especially the map of the Empire of the Turtle on the inside cover).

kalirush

Validated User
As a long-time Changeling player (slavish fangirl? ;)) I was skeptical of your high-handedness, sir. But I like your take. It's not- as you say- the only way to go. But it's a decent way to go.

Ahh- I loves me some Changeling. I'm playing in two games of it right now, as a matter of fact. Nothing else has been able to replace it as our basic and most-loved game (except maybe King Arthur Pendragon).

P.S.: I didn't like Neverwhere, either.

Caudex

Validated User
To clarify, I don't like Neverwhere either.
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell is required reading for the Sidhe, though.

Save-vs-DM

Knight of Stumptown
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Ya know, the one place I get 95% of all my changeling ideas is actually The Weekly World News.

Go ahead and laugh if you want, but if you take the articles, put a little topspin on them, and you suddenly have a dreaming rich adventure.

Then again, I've been accused of being rather nuts.

Cheers,
Save vs DM

Katsue

Young Witch
Validated User
IANAJDC, so feel free to totally disregard my recommendation of Paranoia Agent as an inspiration for Changeling. That said, it's still an awesome show that you should watch.

gatharion

Validated User
The thing that I really love about Changeling and the reason why I keep running it is because there is so much flexibility in terms of theme, mood, and style of play.

I'm sure that JD runs some great games, but I'm equally sure that one can run a fantastic game of Changeling by drawing inspiration from Neverwhere and like sources.

While I try to explore all sorts of different angles in my Changeling games here are my favorite sources of inspiration:

mythology and folklore; espacially for anything centered around the Dreaming

Harvey; provides a great look at Dreamers and Autumn People (it is hands down my top choice for most changelingesq movie).

Amelie; a great look at what life would be like for a boggan (with the male lead as a Dreamer).

Flight of Dragons: While some decent inspiration for a high fantasy styled game at it's core the movie is about the opposition between logic (banality) and magic (glamor) and about how to find the balance between them.

JDCorley

Banned
Amelie is correct, Harvey is correct, the rest are not correct but won't hurt anything either.

:D

"On September 3rd 1973, at 6:28pm and 32 seconds, a bluebottle fly capable of 14,670 wing beats a minute landed on Rue St Vincent, Montmartre. At the same moment, on a restaurant terrace nearby, the wind magically made two glasses dance unseen on a tablecloth. Meanwhile, in a 5th-floor flat, 28 Avenue Trudaine, Paris 9, returning from his best friend's funeral, Eugène Colère erased his name from his address book. At the same moment, a sperm with one X chromosome, belonging to Raphaël Poulain, made a dash for an egg in his wife Amandine. Nine months later, Amélie Poulain was born."

Top Bottom