• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Jenna Moran's upcoming new game, Glitch

Felix

RPGnet Member
Validated User
While there's a couple of threads for discussing Jenna Moran's games (Nobilis and Chuubo's), she's announced a new game, Glitch, and I figured it would be good to have a thread for discussion, speculation, and more.

From the press release I linked to:
Jenna Moran announces Glitch, a sequel to Nobilis: the Game of Sovereign Powers

PORTLAND, OR (May 31, 2019) – The author of the diceless RPG Nobilis has announced a sequel game, “Glitch: A Story of the Not.” Glitch is intended as a stylistic successor to Hogshead Publishing, Ltd.’s highly-regarded, award-winning 2002 edition of Nobilis, and is targeting a 2019 or 2020 release.

“Glitch: A Story of the Not” is a tabletop RPG about living in a broken world. Its protagonists came into that world to destroy it, to unmake it; to cleanse it all with an eldritch fire—only, in the end, they had to stop. Some of them do good work, now, instead. Others just do their best.

Glitch will use the basic Nobilis setting and a substantially updated version of the Nobilis rules engine (integrating improvements from the 2011 edition, curated elements from the author’s later projects, and a selection of new mechanical ideas). Play will focus on exploration and investigation. The book is estimated at 360 letter-sized pages.

Currently, the initial release of Glitch is expected to be through kickstarter; confirmation, further details, and a more precise schedule will be announced at a later date.
Here's a piece of microfiction she posted on her Tumblr:

And here is a link to a preview on her wordpress site.

It looks like it will be about Excrucians (beings who want to destroy Creation in Nobilis, who are generally less wicked than that sounds), particularly Strategists who aren't happy with the fact they have to be Excrucians.

For those wondering, blowing up the moon would probably raise a sweat for an Excrucian in Nobilis, and I do not think it would generally help them get a good night's rest though it might make them feel better about the world. Glitch may have a slightly different power level than Nobilis, of course.

Zaleramancer

Social Justice Warlock
Validated User
Ah, I’m very excited! I hope I can run a game as soon as it hits sale.

A story of not!

Kid Twist

Validated User
Oof. I'm interested, but I have such trouble grokking Moran's writing. It's often because there's some assumption or three that I don't get or know of hat is necessary to really get the concept to the point where I can really see the potential for a game. When I get it, though, it's amazing--I sort of got Nobilis, which I enjoy, and I completely got IOSHI, which makes me wish it could be developed into its own standalone game. This sounds neat, too, but I'm really hoping there's a way to easily understand it.

narm00

Validated User
Jenna's been doing power assignments for the various groups of Nobilis on her Tumblr. For those wondering, the Strategist loadout (which looks most relevant here) is:

Gatekeeper: Serving as an interface between humanity and some alien/harmful/malevolent 'other', able to hunt them, trap them, and draw upon their power.
Troubled: A power for the clever, for the schemers, allowing you to find things out, evade attention, hide evidence, shrug off miraculous effects, come up with ways to fix things, and sabotage what others are doing.
Accursed: There is something broken in you, woven into your nature, a sickness that twists part of the world into something you cannot live with and cannot live without. When it gets too much, you have a sanctuary where you can recuperate. Your broken nature also gives you the power of unmaking, the capacity to annihilate anything - objects, concepts, qualities, anything. Incorporates the World-Breaker's Hand and Nobilis 3e Strategists' dying from something.
Sentimental: Friends/places/objects/creations you treasure so deeply you can watch over them and awaken great powers within them. Functionally Treasure from Nobilis 3e.

Rogerd

Validated User
Oof. I'm interested, but I have such trouble grokking Moran's writing. It's often because there's some assumption or three that I don't get or know of hat is necessary to really get the concept to the point where I can really see the potential for a game. When I get it, though, it's amazing--I sort of got Nobilis, which I enjoy, and I completely got IOSHI, which makes me wish it could be developed into its own standalone game. This sounds neat, too, but I'm really hoping there's a way to easily understand it.
You really need to decide if you want to use book version of Nobilis or the internet add-on parts.
They are two totally different games really, at two totally different power levels.

Felix

RPGnet Member
Validated User
To her credit or detriment, depending on your point of view, Dr. Moran writes in a style that is very reflective of the mood she wishes to create. This sometimes results in not writing the rules in the most straightforward manner. She's quite capable of writing very straightforward prose -- she wrote the Charms chapter for Exalted 2e, and those are extremely clear mechanically. But other times she finds projecting the feeling of the setting is more important than straightforward rules. Which is why Obstacles in Chuubos are explained with increasingly difficult to pet kittens instead of a typical RPG thing like increasingly difficult to injure monsters.

As to the power level of Nobilis, a quote about what a Strategist can do in third edition
Nobilis 3e said:
Textrix the Deacon fought a Power for seven days, using that ability — what the Nobilis call the World- Breaker’s Hand — as his principal weapon. The Dead Zone of Libya was the result. No plant grows there. No love lives there. The sun is never bright there, no nation claims it, no map shows it. The ground is arid. Sometimes it crumbles underfoot, opening onto the vastness of nothing underneath. No one of interest was ever born there. No wind ever blows there. Nobody goes there save by force; and even though you can break a person by chaining them there for a day or two, even though it’d be the kind of punishment any despot or cruel authority would love to inflict, it doesn’t even get used for that very often, because the thing that places have that make them easy to remember is a thing the Dead Zone no longer has. It was a place. It had qualities. It had stuff. It had things. They went away.[/quit]

I don't think Glitch will be about Textrix-type strategists or any of the sample characters in the Nobilis book; they're all a bit nasty to be PCs you'd want to play.

Neaden

Validated User
Really glad to see this. I haven't been following Jenna as much as I used too but this looks really interesting. It looks like based on the press release that this might mechanically be more like 2e Nobilis than third edition or Chuubo which would be good news for me since that is still my favorite edition.

narm00

Validated User
Really glad to see this. I haven't been following Jenna as much as I used too but this looks really interesting. It looks like based on the press release that this might mechanically be more like 2e Nobilis than third edition or Chuubo which would be good news for me since that is still my favorite edition.
Eh. Note 'substantially updated version of the Nobilis rules engine' in there, and what else it's incorporating. If anything, I'd guess at it being the next stage of the engine after 3e and Chuubo, or at least a beta run for it.

It will be a stylistic successor to 2e, at least.

EvilMegaCookie

Validated User
I do hope that the other types can be picked as well unless it is meant that the first thing for Glitch is to see things from a Strategist perspective since they... Are the more extreme sort I guess. Really interested in what this is going to be like.

Top Bottom