• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Jenna Moran's upcoming new game, Glitch

Felix

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Two vaguely tangential thoughts:

1) Another calculus/WBH metaphor: a human life is like one giant mathematical formula. When a detective is examining a murder scene, they are trying to find exactly what was going on in the life when it reached a value of zero, a very common use of derivatives. And their study will tell them a lot: that they were killed with a fireplace poker; that their death was in the study; that Col. Mustard had an airtight alibi for what happened at that moment. But try as forensics might, they will never bring the person back; the murder victim will never smile again, or know love again, or stub their toe again, or read a story to a young child. And if a Strategist detective was to use a World Breaker's Hand at the murder scene to erase the death (say because it means too much paperwork), would they actually restore the person, or would their attempts to restore a life make in imperfect clone, missing the true elements that made the person that person in the first place?

2) A thought after I wrote this line which was simmering in my head throughout work all day:
Hope this makes sense. Maybe I should have waited till after the caffeine kicked in this morning before posting.
An idea for probably a Chuubo's game: A character who insists they are a strategist whose WBH is done through ritual actions.

"I wake up and destroy the drowsiness of the night before by ritually brewing and consuming a cup of coffee. Then I eradicate the distance between my home and office with a rite involving entering an automobile and spending several minutes making gestures around the wheel and gas pedals. My mission involves fighting an actual known as Pai-pour-wark by world-breaker-handing it with special gestures of my pen, but it keeps reforming, as Actuals are wont to do. I usually return to my home and destroy the crushing despair of feeling my quest in unwinnable with an arcane ceremony involving a bottle of whiskey, ice cubes, a glass and Netflix. Finally, exhausted from the miracles, I retreat into my hidden room at the back of my house, and spend eight hours in a mysterious darkness, having strange visions and regaining the miraculous energy I need to once again fight the Actual. One day I will win and can then eliminate the rest of what is wrong with the world."

Jenna Moran

Validated User
When you take a derivative, you lose some data. The derivative of x is 1. The derivative of x+35 is 1. The derivative of x-104,367 is 1. Constants don't affect change.
Of course, another way of looking at it is that each new derivative of x+C you take teaches you a little more about the number 1.

Best wishes,

Jenna

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
I was thinking of it in term's of Zeno's well-known Relationship Paradox, which states that before you can embrace someone, you must first get your arms halfway around them, and before that one-quarter way around, and so on. But the development of Relationship Calculus allowed the lucky few who understood it to simply embrace their objects of desire, revolutionizing many aspects of academic life.

All this was back in the Baroque Age, of course, and today's teens don't understand why they'll ever need to know calculus, except for the one precocious kid who sees it and does not like it.

LordofArcana

Validated User
On a somewhat related note the opposition of Strategists to disorder isn't just something picked out of nowhere.

Entropy isn't actually about destruction, though it looks like that to us. Entropy is measured by the number of choices made to get to a given state, making it essentially a record of everything that's happened. If you were to drop a rock into a pond, the resulting waves would be part of the resulting entropy and they would make it immediately obvious when and where the rock fell. However as you drop more and more rocks in, those waves quickly become complicated and eventually become incomprehensible. Instead of a log of events you just get noise. Disorder.

World Breaker's Hand removes things from the world. Those ripple go away and the world becomes ever so slightly more ordered because of it regardless of what the Strategist was trying to do.

Nor is our sympathy for the Strategists a strange thing for there is something else that takes a seemingly disordered situation and once more brings order to it, doing its best to destroy the record of events that will eventually strangle the world: life. Life can't beat thermodynamics, of course, but it still tries to. They fundamentally aren't that different from the rest of us. The big difference is that they can win the fight against the chaos of the world and we will inevitably lose.

(There really is a conversion constant between the unit of information and the unit for measuring entropy, which I think is really neat. source)

Delgarde

Validated User
Of course, another way of looking at it is that each new derivative of x+C you take teaches you a little more about the number 1.
By discarding extraneous information, you focus on the interesting detail. That's really all a derivation is, a statement that (e.g.) if you discard the position of an object, you can more clearly see the shape. Removing things can make other things more obvious.

I'm reminded of how in TV coverage of rally motor racing, they sometimes superimpose the ghostly figure of another car upon the one currently competing... discard the difference between their start times, and one can more clearly see who's ahead.

thenorm42

Validated User
Life can't beat thermodynamics, of course, but it still tries to. They fundamentally aren't that different from the rest of us. The big difference is that they can win the fight against the chaos of the world and we will inevitably lose.
This is awesome. I'd argue that entropy is a necessary thing for the formation and evolution of life, sentience, meaning, etc. In an anti-entropic universe, it'd just be endless fractal structures as far as the eye could see. No need to think or reproduce if there's no entropy to kick against! Much like the relationship between Cneph and Harumaph, perhaps.

Although this sort of thing always feels more like a Warmain argument than a Strategist one, given their focus on testing Creation.

LordofArcana

Validated User
Although this sort of thing always feels more like a Warmain argument than a Strategist one, given their focus on testing Creation.
If some physicist or philosopher were to present my framing to a Strategist, I imagine said Strategist's response would be "Huh?"

ngreennz

Validated User
Yeah, I think the existential ominousness of the World-Breaker's Hand comes from the fact that it destroys things completely and creation gets a little bit smaller every time. One of the first things I thought of was a non-hostile Strategist who followed Nobilis players around and offered to remove obstacles they were facing; the point was that these people really should know better, but the temptation is always there.

LordofArcana

Validated User
Yeah, I think the existential ominousness of the World-Breaker's Hand comes from the fact that it destroys things completely and creation gets a little bit smaller every time. One of the first things I thought of was a non-hostile Strategist who followed Nobilis players around and offered to remove obstacles they were facing; the point was that these people really should know better, but the temptation is always there.
The damage that World-Breaker's Hand does is fairly superficial. It really isn't any worse than what the Nobles can do themselves. It's powerful because it's versatile and it is being wielded by one of the enemy. That doesn't mean that Strategists can't do permanent damage to Creation, they very much can, but they need to spend a lot more effort than just using their Gift.

Cooperating with the Strategist is still treason, of course.

Top Bottom