• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Jenna Moran's upcoming new game, Glitch

The Free Man

Validated User
Aw man. I JUST started understanding Nobilis, and then this happens. Okay, so... Emptying the world of a thing in order to make it suit your whims is bad... specifically because doing so lessens the world by removing that thing from it (rather than simply adding something as a Nobilis would). This is true even of things that society deems univerally abhorrent, like serial killers, war crimes, and brussel sprouts. It doesn't matter that these things are inherently horrible, simply removing them from the world lessens it. But is this something that all Strategists feel, or just those from Glitch that realize the Excrucians are just lying to them?

narm00

Validated User
Aw man. I JUST started understanding Nobilis, and then this happens. Okay, so... Emptying the world of a thing in order to make it suit your whims is bad... specifically because doing so lessens the world by removing that thing from it (rather than simply adding something as a Nobilis would). This is true even of things that society deems univerally abhorrent, like serial killers, war crimes, and brussel sprouts. It doesn't matter that these things are inherently horrible, simply removing them from the world lessens it. But is this something that all Strategists feel, or just those from Glitch that realize the Excrucians are just lying to them?
Baseline Strategists by and large probably don't care: they want the world lessened. Agonising over the use of the World-Breaker's Hand is more in the domain of Glitch-Strategists.

Felix

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Are Glitch Strategists capable of committing Hubris when they use their powers for their own benefit, or does the fact they know deep down this is destructive and unhealthy for them and the universe mean they aren't really bringing themselves ease and happiness, just the illussion?

The Free Man

Validated User
Has it been mentioned what kind of stories this is meant to tell? The closest analogy I can think of is probably Solars and Abyssals. Are Glitches trying to redeem themselves and become Nobles? Are they trying to redeem the world in the eyes of Excrucians? Are they resisting further corruption? Are they trying to come to terms with what they are and use their powers to protect the world? This last one sounds LITERALLY impossible given that them using their powers (merely existing?) causes terrible damage to the world. I wouldn't say this stops them from trying, just that it would seem very much like fixing a vermin infestation with dynamite; yes, the bugs and rats will be gone, but so will much of the structure of the house.

Is it one of these? Is it ALL of these? Inquiring minds want to know!

narm00

Validated User
Has it been mentioned what kind of stories this is meant to tell? The closest analogy I can think of is probably Solars and Abyssals. Are Glitches trying to redeem themselves and become Nobles? Are they trying to redeem the world in the eyes of Excrucians? Are they resisting further corruption? Are they trying to come to terms with what they are and use their powers to protect the world? This last one sounds LITERALLY impossible given that them using their powers (merely existing?) causes terrible damage to the world. I wouldn't say this stops them from trying, just that it would seem very much like fixing a vermin infestation with dynamite; yes, the bugs and rats will be gone, but so will much of the structure of the house.

Is it one of these? Is it ALL of these? Inquiring minds want to know!
What we know is that Glitch Strategists are the ones who've left the Excrucians. That doesn't mean they've joined Creation's side, though some do, just that they've stopped pursuing Creation's active destruction.

Per Jenna's blog, Strategists will have powers beyond the World-Breaker's Hand:

- They get Treasure, like Nobles;
- They get a power that lets them deal with some Other, that lets them learn about the Other, bind them, call on them for knowledge and power, command them and empower them, to have an affinity for hidden and subtle things, and to open impossible pathways;
- And they get a power that lets them investigate, create miraculous plans that will solve problems, mess with others' actions, create perception filters, and slip out from magical, miraculous and Imperial effects.

To date, the press release is the best summary we have as to what this involves: Some of them are doing good work, others are doing their best. Play will involve exploration and investigation.

The Free Man

Validated User
- They get a power that lets them deal with some Other, that lets them learn about the Other, bind them, call on them for knowledge and power, command them and empower them, to have an affinity for hidden and subtle things, and to open impossible pathways
I've kind of ignored Chuubo's, so I'm wondering if there's any mention there or anywhere else of what this "Other" might be.

narm00

Validated User
I've kind of ignored Chuubo's, so I'm wondering if there's any mention there or anywhere else of what this "Other" might be.
Strictly speaking, the power in question's not turned up in a Chuubo book yet; Jenna posted a draft of it on her blog. As presented, the Other is something to be defined for each character with the power. Having written out what it does, I suspect for Strategists that it involves Excrucians and/or things of the Not.

Top Bottom