• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Jigglypuff's Big Thread of Miniature Painting.

Jigglypuff

Vet of the Psychic wars
Validated User
Amen to that. At some stage I realised that the whole "paint a unit, reward yourself by painting a character" thing is fine if you're doing armies for a specific purpose, but when the painting is now the main part of the hobby in itself, it's just a waste of good painting time to not concentrate on the minis you want to paint most. Plus, I'm sure that like me you have hundreds of unpainted minis, so why not spend that precious time maximising your enjoyment?

That kooky looking griffin rider is really nice. Love all the cold blues, silvers and whites with the flashes of warm red and gold inbetween. Great colour choices.
You hit the nail on the head. I got all these gonzo big minis that never get painted because I feel I need to finish these hundreds of zombies from zombicide. Then I get burnt out painting the same damn think over and over all the time. This leads to not painting for months where I could've painted something I liked and enjoyed myself.

Zombies from zombicide are going to get painted soon, they're my test minis for contrast paints before I paint some other stuff with them.

JamesG

Validated User
Zombies from zombicide are going to get painted soon, they're my test minis for contrast paints before I paint some other stuff with them.
I think Contrast paints will be a joy for games like Zombicide, where the mass of figures would be discouraging to paint traditionally but look good with some colour.

Jigglypuff

Vet of the Psychic wars
Validated User
I think Contrast paints will be a joy for games like Zombicide, where the mass of figures would be discouraging to paint traditionally but look good with some colour.
While I haven't tried them yet (I got some sitting here and a few more in the mail to get) I think they'll be a good tool to use on miniatures. They won't replace other paints but will be good to use on some parts of miniatures..

From what I seen on the internet the flesh colors will be great.

Asklepios

Validated User
I've got that mini. Came in a Warhammer Fantasy Battle starter box, where Night Goblins and Dwarves were the featured army.

Weirdly I've just started painting the gobbos too, having had them sit neglected in the bottom of a big bag of unpainted minis for years, with the intention of using them for a D+D game.

Tell ya what though, the NEW night goblins put the old ones to shame. Much more detailed, dynamic, etc.

Jigglypuff

Vet of the Psychic wars
Validated User
I've got that mini. Came in a Warhammer Fantasy Battle starter box, where Night Goblins and Dwarves were the featured army.

Weirdly I've just started painting the gobbos too, having had them sit neglected in the bottom of a big bag of unpainted minis for years, with the intention of using them for a D+D game.

Tell ya what though, the NEW night goblins put the old ones to shame. Much more detailed, dynamic, etc.
Thanks so he's from battle at skull pass then.

I have some new goblins just got to get to them.

Now I've seen contrast over a metal basecoat and boy I'm thinking of doing some marines that way.

Jigglypuff

Vet of the Psychic wars
Validated User
Got my contrast paints today did some quick testing.

Thats blood angels red over silver base.

Some zombicide miniatures done up with flesh colors.

Overall they work pretty well. The flesh colors would be a good starting point for any mini that has flesh on it. Just a bit of drybrusing highlight and you'd be good.

I'm not sure about the marine. While it looks good on him I don't know if I'd want to do an entire army with the silver base coat. You can't really highlight anything because you'd loose the metal effect. On the plus side it really doesn't need highlighting for the most part. Lastly how is this better then going out and buying some testor's candy spray paint and do your army that way.

Jigglypuff

Vet of the Psychic wars
Validated User
I finished up one of the zombies with contrast paints. The pants I did with regular paint since I didn't have a blue contrast.

Over the contrast paint I did some drybrushing to make everything look a little better. It really didn't take long to paint even only working on him in between waiting for my shroud knight to dry.

Top Bottom