John Carter of Mars rpg (Modiphius)

Status
Not open for further replies.

torus

Validated User
🚫 Three Day Ban for weirdly aggressive posting, practicing internet law without a license
I see this has just started shipping in physical form from Modiphius. In principle I'm very interested. Can anyone who has it, or who might otherwise know, tell me:

1. Did the production of this game involve payment to notorious trademark trolls ERB Inc? (If so then regrettably I can't support it, and I urge others not to either.)

2. Would it be useful as setting resource for other systems? I'm not a huge fan of the 2d20 system itself - too many meta currencies to track. But I know Modiphius do a beautiful job with production and setting research.

RSDean

Validated User
Yes, it's duly licensed from ERB Inc., so that's probably all you need to know. :(

I'm still absorbing the system, but it looks like it would be a great resource for use with other systems. The GM screen even comes with a Narrator's toolkit booklet with a random Barsoomian adventure generator.

Eudaimic

Gray Fur
Validated User
I haven’t read it yet, but the decision to make it landscape is already breaking my brain. It’s quite unwieldy and annoying to flip through.

torus

Validated User
Yes, it's duly licensed from ERB Inc., so that's probably all you need to know. :(

I'm still absorbing the system, but it looks like it would be a great resource for use with other systems. The GM screen even comes with a Narrator's toolkit booklet with a random Barsoomian adventure generator.
Thanks. That's a real shame. These leeches and others like them need to be expunged, before they entirely kill off the common good: the idea, as old as art or literature itself, that stories and works of art enter the public sphere for future generations to rework and interpret. I can't see any way round it other than not buying things that support them. :( I understand why small companies like those in the gaming industry feel they haven't the resources to fight off trademark trolls, but frankly by paying up they become part of the problem.

mediapig

Validated User
Personally, I'd prefer gaming companies create original works that capture the spirit of older properties. I thought Adamant did an excellent job of this with their MARS line. To be honest, that scratched my John Carter itch enough that I doubt I would buy this game, even though I love the property.

Thornlord

Suffer the likes of me.
Validated User
...I thought Adamant did an excellent job of this with their MARS line. To be honest, that scratched my John Carter itch enough that I doubt I would buy this game, even though I love the property.
I felt the same way about the Adamant MARS line. I'm not able to buy this game but I would enjoy playing it as the heroics of these stories are epic and I like that feel.

Spook

Burn the Heretic. Purge the unclean.
Validated User
Might not be John, but a Firstborn hero. They often get drow grey instead of pitchblack in the art.

torus

Validated User
Personally, I'd prefer gaming companies create original works that capture the spirit of older properties. I thought Adamant did an excellent job of this with their MARS line. To be honest, that scratched my John Carter itch enough that I doubt I would buy this game, even though I love the property.
Well yes but in fact I think that's a good example of exactly what I'm talking about; my understanding is Adamant got a substantial amount of grief and harassment from ERB, despite filing the serial numbers off their Barsoomian setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom