• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

John Mac Sketch thread ( recent studies,sketchs WIPs)

defcombeta

Retired User
ok i am opening this thread as a place to to put up my sketchs , studies, etc in the future. here is where pencil work, or studies ( that are at least viewable or stuff i would like feedback on ) will go .

to start off here are two pieces

a old tomb lost in the forest

a sketch from a batch of studies of female facial features etc,
to explain ,im exploring humans a lot more at the moment, and figuring out how best to approch them myself :)

more to follow as time flows on

john mac

davra

Nice sketches John. I like the girls face (she looks like there's a lot of things going on in her mind) and I like the way you drew her hair.
Looking forward to seeing what else post here. :)

defcombeta

Retired User
davra

thanks, its just a study, i m moving away from the animation influence now, its time for me to grow up as it were, and stop worrying will i feck up in the process :eek: .
do or die as it were ;)

Eric Lofgren

thanks ill put up some greyscale tomorrow that i did for tigres volants ( might just dump up the lot :) )

anyway here are some more studies for girl with a boonie hat and eyewear

john mac

defcombeta

Retired User
ok a selection of heads studies ( now in one jpeg) :eek: :)

and a quick warm up sketch of a blast door

thanks for looking and comments welcome as always

john mac

defcombeta

Retired User
oh and i forgot here is a image from tigres volants ( not sure if i should igive it a new thread but what the hell)

john mac

Storn

Validated User
love the finished cityscape!!!

Hats are a bitch.

Feedback: I think your faces can tend to be a bit "mushy". Your first portrait (elf woman with the cleveage) is rock solid. The girl with the hat, her eyes are bit off in realtion to one another. One problem I see is a lack of skull past the ear. This is somewhat consistent in the 3 pics with hats and the head studies. I humbly suggest (and only because you requested feedback) to draw the skull structure (in perspective, you are good at that) lightly and then do the features on top. Really think about how curved shapes WRAP around the bone... lips wrap, eyeballs are round and sit in sockets, the eyelids WRAP around the eyeball. Cheeks are pressed against cheekbone, chins have underlining bone structure.

Although I love the emotions you are trying to get on the studies... that is wonderful stuff.

defcombeta

Retired User
thanks for the comments and you are 100 percent on the ball, thank you for the blunt and clear crit, its something i admire in a person.

i suffer from doing animtion for too long, i tried doing faces using the simple construction animation needs, once i have some time after my current work load easies ( i up to my eye balls for the next few days) i wil work on that right away.

again my thanks storn, your a gent :cool:

john mac

Robotron666

Chronicler of Immoren
defcombeta said:
thanks for the comments and you are 100 percent on the ball, thank you for the blunt and clear crit, its something i admire in a person.

i suffer from doing animtion for too long, i tried doing faces using the simple construction animation needs, once i have some time after my current work load easies ( i up to my eye balls for the next few days) i wil work on that right away.

again my thanks storn, your a gent :cool:

john mac
John, one of the things I found from doing life drawing is that the structures of the face work into each other.

For instance the eyes seem a bit flat, and I think part of this is because you're not really thinking about how the skull is built. Try working from the skeleton up, think about the orbital sockets and how they are depressed in the flesh, how the ridge of the brow (supraorbital eminence) compares to the Zygomatic bones and process. And remember, the eyes are orbs, try to give them some dimension.

I love your work, but your faces do seem a bit pliable. I'd recommend boning up (pun intended) on the structure of the head and doing some skeletal studies to get a real feel for the structure you're drawing on top of.

And after realizing that Storn just wrote all of this, I feel like an idiot.

Anyways, Cheers.

Storn

Validated User
John Mac, you're welcome.... I'm thrilled that you got some food for thought out of my musings.

Robotron, I think you said what I said, but better. And even added and expanded. So I don't think you are an 'idiot" at all.

Top Bottom