• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

John Wick 3: para bellum [Spoiler Thread]

The Adder

Validated User
The thing with Santino as compared to his sister is that his sister was killed at the behest of someone due a seat at the High Table if she should die and then the person who killed her was immediately placed under a contract for it. I don't think there are any rules on the books for members of the Hogh Table being assassinated, business is business after all. But it's probably understood, on that level, that doing so can't simply go unpunished. Family is going to pay to avenge family and that should dissuade anyone from taking the job without having to write any special exceptions. This would be why Santino had to call in the marker to get the job done instead of hiring someone.

Santino himself, however, wasn't simply murdered. He was murdered solely at the whim of someone under the table. That's bad. And the fact that he did it in the Continental gives them pretense enough to act on it. Ostensibly his contract is for having broken the rules when, in reality, they want him dead for killing a High Table member of his own volition.

As for Winston? I think he and The Bowery King are playing the game with their heads on straight. Every move is to defend their power base and their people. I think Winston gave John the opportunity to survive, but didn't care if he died. Meanwhile The King is moving in to collect a powerful, discarded weapon and bring it under his control.

Menocchio

Eccentric Thousandaire
Validated User
I also think that the High Table has been doing something very weird in that they are focused entirely on Santino's actions.

However, John Wick didn't kill ONE member of the High Table.

He killed two.

Starting with Santino's sister as he wanted her position. This basically means that the High Table either supported Santino's coup or are trying to pretend that John hasn't killed the equivalent of two Camarilla Inner Councilmen.
Surprisingly, I don't think that merely killing someone at the High Table is actually against the rules. Anyone under the Table is free to kill or take out a contract on anyone at any time for any reason. And they and their heirs and surviving retainers are free to retaliate (which is what Santino was pretending to do), but the High Table and its direct resources will not act and all parties may access its services. John's crime was specifically killing on the grounds of the Continental. Winston's was not enforcing the rules immediately. The Bowery King was basically convicted on a conspiracy charge. And the Director helped John after he was excommunicated.

Dave999

Validated User
I think there's a bit more to it and that the High Table is, at the end, just another gang of criminals. They've just been so well-entrenched so long that people like John Wick were able to believe that there was a system in place.

It's just events are forcing the realization that the rules are just there to keep people like him in line.

Shade the Lost

Validated User
I like to think that, in the end of the series, all of the people John has spared, or has dealt fairly with, will continue to help him out in turns, and that that is why John will win. (Mind, he may die at the end, but, as Winston put it, he's dying as the man John who was loved by his wife, not as Baba Yaga.

On a side note, if you can measure a man by their enemies, John's in rare company, I'd say. Not many can accumulate that many high powered criminals who want his head and live for any length of time.

Logos Invictus

Validated User
Hah. All the Wick movies make me think VtM. Great comparison.
It makes me think of Vampire, but more Requiem than Masquerade - the High Table feels more like a relatively new group that seized power by using force or manipulation to take control of the traditional methods of transaction in the boon economy and cutting deals with groups adjacent to their core organization to exchange support for the illusion of autonomy. Classic Invictus or Carthian power move.

Mhoram

Validated User
John assembling a gun to fit the one bullet he had was awesome. Also, what happens when assassins fight in a hallway stacked with swords and knives... I wonder?
Speaking of allusions to other movies I wondered if this was referencing the scene in 'The Good, The Bad and the Ugly' where Tuco takes apart various guns provided by the shopkeeper and then uses them to assemble a pistol that meets his approval

P.S.
Anybody else spot 'Gotham's' Penguin ( Robin Lord Taylor) as the Administrator ?

Last edited:

csyphrett

Validated User
I think the Adjucator was right to be worried that Wick was still alive. And I think she should have just killed the Bowery King. Separately, they might not be able to do that much, but together they might be able to eliminate huge swathes of the Table's control
CES

Taraqual

Words words words
Validated User
I think the Adjucator was right to be worried that Wick was still alive. And I think she should have just killed the Bowery King. Separately, they might not be able to do that much, but together they might be able to eliminate huge swathes of the Table's control
CES
“Not be able to do that much” is a statement I would question. The main reason John hasn’t devastated the High Table before now was that they were not his target. Also that I would presume that being raised in the Ballet School (or whatever it’s called) came with indoctrination that one serves the High Table, and will be of service, and that’s just the way things are. The idea that one can do something other than serve has come late to John, but I think it’s a philosophy he will take to quite well.

Top Bottom