• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

John Wick 3: para bellum [Spoiler Thread]

draco86x

Summon Azathoth
Validated User
Wrong RPG. This is V:tM, not Shadowrun. Winston is a powerful local Prince who is striking at the heart of the Camarilla.
I love this series, this installment included, but at this point I'm convinced it's someone's VtM game with the serial numbers filed off. Their are a couple of scenes where people are killed in public without any crowd reaction, and John especially is shown to have inhuman levels of stamina and resistance to damage. I'm pretty much convinced that his big impossible task involved diablerizing someone who was way above his pay grade.

I'm a little disappointed with Winston, his people were woefully unprepared for the High Table forces, much less the ninja assassin clan. If John hadn't come back as fast as he did, the high table would have cleaned him off the board with little loss. It might be that he held back some of his better forces when he turned John though. It feels like Winston is playing the long game here, and intentionally shot John to feign allegiance while working with the Bowery King to get John to where he could recover. I can't see how the next film doesn't end with all out war against the High Table.

Shade the Lost

Validated User
Winston didn't lose very many troops at all, that I recall. Maybe a handful or two once the place was deconsecrated, purely to convince the adjudicator he was serious, but nowhere near what the Bowery King or the Russian Ballet group lost. A hotel the size of the Continental is going to need way more staff than I remember seeing get killed. He likely had a pretty good idea about the body armor, but had to "make it look good" and sent out some people anyhow, so he didn't give the game away.

Maybe. I might be completely wrong, but Winston's seemed much too smart to just throw away lives or do stupid stuff.

draco86x

Summon Azathoth
Validated User
He only sent out around 6-10 guys + Charon, but he only armed those guys with basic small arms fire power. He had to know that they where going to get slaughtered. I can fully believe he had forces in reserve, but getting your underlings needless slaughtered like that has to be a bit of a moral killer in the long term. Also, it's only speculation he had reserve troops. The Bowery King and the Director knew the High Table was coming and neither had forces on hand that put up much of a resistance. If these factions are meant to be a threat to the power of the High Table going forward, I'd hope they would have more man power that could put up a credible resistance.

Menocchio

Eccentric Thousandaire
Validated User
I got the impression that the King and the Director were taken by surprise. They had some idea, but they weren't in full siege mode like Winston was. Honestly, I don't think either of them intended to do anything other than give penance at that point (King talked a big game, but he didn't actually have any move to make). Those were just their regular security, and the Adjudicator was really being an asshole by preemptively slaughtering them without offering surrender. The Director has an international tribe to call upon, and the Bowery King every homeless person in New York, so they have other troops elsewhere.

And I don't know that the Bowery King is working with Winston. Winston could have a mole in his organization, or just predicated that of course he'd be watching and able and willing to rescue John.

Taraqual

Words words words
Validated User
He only sent out around 6-10 guys + Charon, but he only armed those guys with basic small arms fire power. He had to know that they where going to get slaughtered. I can fully believe he had forces in reserve, but getting your underlings needless slaughtered like that has to be a bit of a moral killer in the long term. Also, it's only speculation he had reserve troops. The Bowery King and the Director knew the High Table was coming and neither had forces on hand that put up much of a resistance. If these factions are meant to be a threat to the power of the High Table going forward, I'd hope they would have more man power that could put up a credible resistance.
Yeah, we see the Director lose what, ten guys or so? Maybe a dozen? I don't think we even saw that many of the Bowery guys die on-screen. The King was ready and waiting for them. I don't know if he expected to live through the "seven cuts" he had been told he would suffer in their first meeting, or sent Derek! or someone to be ready to assume control, but he didn't just hope thing would work out okay. The Adjudicator played things all wrong--coming down too hard at first, not noticing the obvious weak defenses, under-estimating their opponents.

Shade the Lost

Validated User
Is there something I'm missing, or is that "I have served, I will be of service" really as one-sided as it seems? If so, the High Table was building a house of cards that would fall sooner or later, because inevitably someone would come along who expects loyalty down as well as up.

prototype00

Validated User
Is there something I'm missing, or is that "I have served, I will be of service" really as one-sided as it seems? If so, the High Table was building a house of cards that would fall sooner or later, because inevitably someone would come along who expects loyalty down as well as up.
The base of the pillar, so to speak, seems to be modeled on the Syrian Assassins/Old man of the mountain of legend.

If that is the case, then loyalty unto death is the least of expectations, if unrealistic given how things have changed in the modern world.

csyphrett

Validated User
“Not be able to do that much” is a statement I would question. The main reason John hasn’t devastated the High Table before now was that they were not his target. Also that I would presume that being raised in the Ballet School (or whatever it’s called) came with indoctrination that one serves the High Table, and will be of service, and that’s just the way things are. The idea that one can do something other than serve has come late to John, but I think it’s a philosophy he will take to quite well.
At a certain point, John didn't have the means to get anywhere or track down anyone. The King has been tracking guys in New York all the time. One has the ability to locate players, the other has the method to hack those players off the board.

Wick has killed over 200 people in two weeks including armored enemies, and ninjas with little prep. What happens once he does start prepping for war?
CES

csyphrett

Validated User
Also the Adudicator went out of the way to punish the King even though he didn't break any rules.
CES

Top Bottom