• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

John Wick's "Play Dirty"

Jackleg

Validated User
Saw it on his website looking for another product of his.

Any body has it and used it? Worth the time & $$ ?

Thanks.

Lenin

Tolerant Ent
Validated User
He had a few Play Dirty articles in Pyramid magazine a few years back, IIRC. Caused a bit of a ruckus in the Pyramid newsgroups. Some people thought that Wick was awesome, others that he was having badwrongfun, messing with his players, then boasting about it.

I assumed the series was some sort of satire. I mean, seriously, making a player roleplay a featureless incarceration in prison for multiple game session while the other PC's are fighting the bad guy? Changing from an abstract combat system to a gritty, lethal one in the middle of a fight and not actually informing the players until they're being killed?

I can't imagine using the things he advised in a game in any scenario that isn't followed by the player walking out and possibly punching the GM on the way.

John Wick

Just Wicked
Validated User
I assumed the series was some sort of satire. I mean, seriously, making a player roleplay a featureless incarceration in prison for multiple game session while the other PC's are fighting the bad guy? Changing from an abstract combat system to a gritty, lethal one in the middle of a fight and not actually informing the players until they're being killed?

I can't imagine using the things he advised in a game in any scenario that isn't followed by the player walking out and possibly punching the GM on the way.
Wasn't a joke, wasn't a satire.

As I explained, I was running for my local college gaming club. My Champions game followed on the heels of my Call of Cthulhu game, which was ruthless. I was dared to run a game were "you can't kill any characters." So, I ran Champions.

I had the same rules as my Cthulhu game: there's a line to get in. As soon as someone drops out, the next person in the line fills the empty chair. So, it really became a kind of iron man competition: seeing who could stay at the table the longest.

The guy in prison refused to give up his chair. "My character isn't dead," he said. And so he showed up, week after week, waiting for his chance to get out of prison.

I will say no more. The article really does speak for itself. :D

See you at Gen Con So Cal! (woo hoo!)

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Ah, except that - at least according to him - his players loved it. Assuming that's true, and I don't see why it couldn't be, it shows that he and his group were well in tune.

I liked the series, but it was obvious that Wick prefered a highly adversarial, high-challenge game - if I'm reading right, he'd be one to say that the events of the game are meaningless if the players and characters don't have to work, hard, for their successes. (I believe that the Forge's "Step Up To The Challenge" mode applies.) There was also a sense in the articles that failure can be as entertaining as success. More aggressive a style than I like to GM, but I found it good food for thought.

Theron

The Best Legionnaire
Validated User
I disagree entirely with this style of play, but I'll defend to the death one's right to play it.

John Wick

Just Wicked
Validated User
I disagree entirely with this style of play, but I'll defend to the death one's right to play it.
Amen. :)

I should also note that the Champions game was a crack cocaine version of my usual style. My usual style is pretty challenging, but the Champions game was nasty.

(Balls nasty.)

Top Bottom