• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

🎨 Creative July Painting Thread

Petter Wäss

I am agape with fnords
Validated User
More Sororitas. Yeah I know, that Dialogus is a bit messy. My freehand writing didn't come out very neat, and that mini also is blessed with a really badly sculpted face. The scroll writing is a transfer of course, as are the symbols. Hey, I'm lazy and old, I can't do good freehand.
Hey, neater than mine, I usually resort to the ancient art of "generic scribbles", because that's the only thing I can write that don't look like shit

DrunkenGrognard

Exile to the godforsaken reaches of the North
RPGnet Member
Validated User
As another member of the 'incoherent gibberish' school of writing text on minis, I am quite impressed by your freehanded text. Also, gotten a few minis done out of my backlog.

mac40k

Validated User
I'm just now getting back into mini painting after a 4+ year hiatus. I've always used the prime, base coat, wash, dry brush (or highlight), then pick out details approach. While I got the Vallejo paints like I had before, when it came to washes, I for some reason was under the impression that GW shades were good. Using a blue base coated Primaris, I applied a coat of Drakenhof Nightshade by slathering it on the way I had always used washes in the past, but I am disappointed in the result. Rather than pool in the recesses as I expected it to do it literally just made the entire model a darker shade of blue. Now I'm not sure how best to proceed. Reapply the base color while trying to keep it out of the recesses or just re-base coat the model and try a different wash? Suggestions most welcome. Also, any tips on proper usage of GW shades that get them to do what I expected (thinning them perhaps?), or other brands that do actually just flow into the recesses without staining the base coat?

Scutarii

Validated User
I'm just now getting back into mini painting after a 4+ year hiatus. I've always used the prime, base coat, wash, dry brush (or highlight), then pick out details approach. While I got the Vallejo paints like I had before, when it came to washes, I for some reason was under the impression that GW shades were good. Using a blue base coated Primaris, I applied a coat of Drakenhof Nightshade by slathering it on the way I had always used washes in the past, but I am disappointed in the result. Rather than pool in the recesses as I expected it to do it literally just made the entire model a darker shade of blue. Now I'm not sure how best to proceed. Reapply the base color while trying to keep it out of the recesses or just re-base coat the model and try a different wash? Suggestions most welcome. Also, any tips on proper usage of GW shades that get them to do what I expected (thinning them perhaps?), or other brands that do actually just flow into the recesses without staining the base coat?
Drakenhof Nightshade is, IMO, the worst GW wash. It’s too dark for most blues and has a nasty tendency to tide mark and pool strangely in a way the others don’t.

You can do as you suggest, either layer around the flats leaving colour in corners or rebase and paint wash into the recesses only.

OR

Dry brush the base layer back on but really heavily, essentially trying to cover the flats with the base again quickly. I do that sometimes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom