• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.
  • The EU is getting to ready to pass a directive widely known as "Article 13", which will flip copyright requirements on their head in the EU. Where before the law of the land has largely been 47 U.S.C. § 230, which does not hold sites like forums responsible for what their users upload, as long as they respond to take-down requests, now sites would have to proactively monitor and OK every single thing published to their site. There's a long lead-up to the disaster that's likely to follow: EU states would have to turn this directive into law, and even afterward smaller sites would have three years in which they didn't have to put out the millions of dollars required to design such filters. But the long-term result is that the EU is likely to be cut off from a lot of sites on the internet, because the requirements are frankly untenable. If you're in the EU and would like to protest, you can visit https://saveyourinternet.eu/act/. (The EU is also voting on a very problematic link-tax directive that has already failed spectacularly in Spain, for which see The Eff's Discussion, and it's worth protesting too, but it's Article 13 that will permanently balkanize the internet into the EU and the rest of the world.)

Just got a smartphone: Recommend me some games.

Crinos

Be inspired!
Validated User
Hey, I just got a Smart Phone at long last, so how about you guys be pals and recommend me some phone games. Free to play preferable of course. I already have Pokemon Go but I wont be able to play that till it warms up a bit outside.

CaButler

Validated User
Before I give my suggestions, what's your opinion on gacha style games? Would you be interested in any, or do you want a more narrow scope?

Crinos

Be inspired!
Validated User
Before I give my suggestions, what's your opinion on gacha style games? Would you be interested in any, or do you want a more narrow scope?
Not really sure what a Gacha game is tbh.

What about clash of clans? I've heard about that before.

Count_Zero

Game Master
Validated User

Gatcha games are games where you can pull additional characters/weapons/etc. through random draws, which are obtained through in-game currency or through currancy you buy (like booster packs for M:TG). Gatcha is short for "Gachapon" (the Japanese term for capsule toy machines). Most Mobile games use gatchas in some form or another.

I generally like Fate: Grand Order and Magic: The Gathering Puzzle Quest, and Azur Lane is pretty fun too.

CaButler

Validated User

Gatcha games are games where you can pull additional characters/weapons/etc. through random draws, which are obtained through in-game currency or through currancy you buy (like booster packs for M:TG). Gatcha is short for "Gachapon" (the Japanese term for capsule toy machines). Most Mobile games use gatchas in some form or another.

I generally like Fate: Grand Order and Magic: The Gathering Puzzle Quest, and Azur Lane is pretty fun too.
What Count Zero said. There is a bit of a warning though that for gacha games there is a gambling mechanic involved, especially if you're looking for a specific character.

In terms of gacha games, the most generous I've played are Fire Emblem: Heroes and Azur Lane. FEH is, like it's namesake, a turn based strategy game that keeps a lot of the mechanics of your typical Fire Emblem game. Azur Lane is a side-scrolling shoot'em up featuring female personifications of famous World War II Era Navy ships. In terms of getting the currency to get more characters, both are rather generous.

As for Clash of Clans, it's a sim style game where you build a village and create fighters to raid other villages to get their resources. From my experience, it's fine early on, but at some point you're going to hit a wall where you need to start actually paying for stuff, so I ended up dropping it.

Last edited:

Asmodai

Warrior Kobold
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I've been playing Langrisser Mobile - which is another gacha game, though fairly generous with draws if you play enough to complete the daily missions it gives. As a strategy RPG, it's pretty in-depth (in terms of mechanics and story) for a phone game.

For paid games, the Android port of XCOM:EW is good.

Count_Zero

Game Master
Validated User
What Count Zero said. There is a bit of a warning though that for gacha games there is a gambling mechanic involved, especially if you're looking for a specific character.

In terms of gacha games, the most generous I've played are Fire Emblem: Heroes and Azur Lance. FEH is, like it's namesake, a turn based strategy game that keeps a lot of the mechanics of your typical Fire Emblem game. Azur Lance is a side-scrolling shoot'em up featuring female personifications of famous World War II Era Navy ships. In terms of getting the currency to get more characters, both are rather generous.

As for Clash of Clans, it's a sim style game where you build a village and create fighters to raid other villages to get their resources. From my experience, it's fine early on, but at some point you're going to hit a wall where you need to start actually paying for stuff, so I ended up dropping it.
Azur Lance is titled Azur Lane in the US - or at least the Android version is. Oh, and from what I've heard from the Giant Bombcast - Clash of Clans spinoff - Clash Royale, gets aggressively Pay-to-Win on higher levels. That's why I generally avoid games with PvP mechanics, with the exception of Magic Puzzle Quest.

Petter Wäss

I am agape with fnords
Validated User
If you love romantic Virtual Novels, Lovestruck is a pretty good Freemium one with decent variety.
Not sure if it counts as a game, but figured I'd recommend it

Top Bottom