• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

Just got a smartphone: Recommend me some games.

Pyrephox

Sheepish
Validated User
A somewhat outside recommendation: Helix Waltz. It's a dress-up game, with added elements of intrigue and romance set in a roughly Renn-era fantasy city-state called Finsel, where you're an urchin who has been taken in by a noblewoman in disgrace and raised as her daughter for the purposes of throwing you in the sharktank to win back the family's place in society through the power of fashion and information trading. It IS a gatcha, in that you can pay money for in game currency to have a chance to draw more clothes, but thus far, I've had no need to do so.

Pros:

It has an actual storyline that, so far, hangs together pretty well, and has some fun political drama involved.
Fun characters. There are about 55 characters that you can build relationships with - some romantic, some not. With that kind of variety, there's something for every taste.
Simple mechanics: there are three main mechanics: fashion contest, dancing, conversation. Fashion contests involve mixing and matching clothes to match the theme, emphasize certain styles, and preferably have high rarity. You'll be called on to have walk-offs with various characters; this happens automatically, and you get in-game currency when you win. Dancing involves memory tracing brief patterns on your phone; it's simple and pretty easy to do - success builds your relationship with your partner and gives you in-game currency. Conversations - you talk to various characters, pick conversational topics that they like, or answer questions in a way that's pleasing to them when they ask. Gives you favor with them.
There are some other minor mechanics, like dyeing or crafting from designs, but they're pretty simple.

Cons:

Repetitive. If you're not interested in the storyline or the characters, the actual activities will get pretty repetitive pretty quickly.
Gatcha. It IS a gatcha game, and they would very much like you to spend money, so ads and enticements will be abundant.
Translation. The translation is...not the best. It is understandable, and sometimes even amusing ("I believe all the world's problems can be solved by fireball magic.") but it's definitely not GOOD.

Anyway, I like it very well!

Jigglypuff

Vet of the Psychic wars
Validated User
Old school Rune Quest. It's free for the most part and you can always choose to member up if you really like the game but there's a ton of free content.

Fae

radiance of the moon
Validated User
RPG: Granblue Fantasy. It's a game that's been around a long time and has grown quite broad in scope - you'll never run out of things to do, if you want to spend a lot of time on it. Or, if you want to play casually, there's still plenty of easily accessible story and content - the story side and the grindy minmax side are largely separate. Older story content is decent, newer story content is sublime. (This is actually a browser game - you can get it in app form too, but just using a browser is generally better.)

Rhythm: BanG Dream! Girls Band Party. Contains lots of covers of anime songs and other Japanese songs in addition to original music. There's no limit on how much you can play at a time.

Both of these are gacha games, but they're also both super easy to play without spending any money.

In terms of gacha games, the most generous I've played are Fire Emblem: Heroes and Azur Lane.
Is FEH really that generous? I haven't played it in a long time, but from what I've heard I've gotten the impression that it's overly dependent on getting particular units/IVs/skills from the gacha if you want to be reasonably competitive. I don't know how things are in terms of the resources and free pulls they give out, but when I was playing, it was nowhere near the level that Granblue is at.

CaButler

Validated User
Is FEH really that generous? I haven't played it in a long time, but from what I've heard I've gotten the impression that it's overly dependent on getting particular units/IVs/skills from the gacha if you want to be reasonably competitive. I don't know how things are in terms of the resources and free pulls they give out, but when I was playing, it was nowhere near the level that Granblue is at.
I'm mostly talking about the summon currency the game uses to get more heroes. On a personal level I actually don't do any of Arena/Raid style maps so that's never been a concern for me. But it is still a tactical game, outside of certain conditions you're usually able to face off against any foe you fight. The game itself does off a training tower to help level up your units, so there's always that.

But I've never played Granblue so I can't really compare the two.

R-90-2

Go green, friend an orc.
Validated User
Oh yeah, you can also get Phantasy Star II, III, and IV on Android for free, if you're good with old-school console RPGs.

Fae

radiance of the moon
Validated User
But I've never played Granblue so I can't really compare the two.
Well, right now Granblue is giving out ~400 free rolls for its anniversary celebration. New Year celebrations are similar. Rolling 300 times on one banner lets you pick any one thing from that banner on top of what you got from those rolls, guaranteeing that you get what you want, and the game hands out enough free currency that you can do so 2-3 times per year if you save up. And you don't actually need much from the gacha at all; there are entirely separate progression paths for most things that are almost as powerful, plus certain more-powerful stuff that you can't get from the gacha. Most characters take almost no time to level up and swap into a party, unless you're really minmaxing. And stamina-restoring items are rained down on you in such quantities that they're difficult to run out of. It's pretty generous!

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Hey, I just got a Smart Phone at long last, so how about you guys be pals and recommend me some phone games. Free to play preferable of course. I already have Pokemon Go but I wont be able to play that till it warms up a bit outside.
If you don't mind, what's the phone? Screen size matters, IMO, and some games might want a little oomph. For instance, I like Age of Sigmar Champions (a CCG) but the interface is teeny-tiny on my iPhone SE. I also like Hearthstone, but it don't run too well on my iPhone SE either.

I like Tetris Blitz as well.

Top Bottom