• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

Just got a smartphone: Recommend me some games.

Crinos

Be inspired!
Validated User
If you don't mind, what's the phone? Screen size matters, IMO, and some games might want a little oomph. For instance, I like Age of Sigmar Champions (a CCG) but the interface is teeny-tiny on my iPhone SE. I also like Hearthstone, but it don't run too well on my iPhone SE either.

I like Tetris Blitz as well.
Galaxy J3.

And yeah, I will be getting Hearthstone eventually. Right now having fun with Mario Runner.

phred

Validated User
Neko Atsume* - do you like cats? This is a game about collecting cats. You only check it a few times a day. You use silver and gold fish to buy food, toys, and other stuff. The cats come to play or sleep or eat, you take pictures of them, and they leave silver or gold fish for you.

free to play. you don't need to spend any real money on it. In about 6 months you'll have bought all the stuff and collected all the cats.
It's quite enjoyable and relaxing.

*Japanese for "cat collector"

Ikselam

a heavy bear to cross
Validated User
Is FEH really that generous? I haven't played it in a long time, but from what I've heard I've gotten the impression that it's overly dependent on getting particular units/IVs/skills from the gacha if you want to be reasonably competitive. I don't know how things are in terms of the resources and free pulls they give out, but when I was playing, it was nowhere near the level that Granblue is at.
It's quite generous, both in terms of drop rates and free currency. It is also true that you won't be able to stay at the top ranks of the competitive modes, or beat the highest-difficulty versions of the single player levels, without a large investment of money, time, or both.

On the other hand, even with all the modes and features it's accumulated over the past couple years, it's not a game that demands a large investment of time, money, or even system knowledge. I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for an involving story or something with a million fiddly systems to master. What it's good at being is a fairly simple strategy game that you can easily play in fifteen or thirty minute chunks.

Alik

not a thief
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Can you be more specific about what kind of games you like?
If you're on android download google rewards- you get money for answering surveys. I got like $22 off of it over the past year or two. It's not a scam.

Many board games have phone versions. Ticket to ride. Splendor. Lords of Waterdeep. Small World. Patchwork. Hive. Catan.

Balac

Validated User
Wouldn't call FEH generous at all. You get enough free pulls to get a steady stream of new characters but with power creep, random stats and the need to pull the same characters multiple times to max them out a casual player is essentially locked out quite a bit of content. It's fun for the 15 minutes a day type play but your always aware non whales are second class citizens.
Not as bad as FGO but not even close to GBF for generosity

Vektunaxa

Old member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The mobile games that I'm playing at the moment are Final Fantasy Record Keeper (FFRK) and Dissidia Final Fantasy: Opera Omnia (DFFOO). The latter is probably a little easier to get into for a new player, but both are decent if you were in to Final Fantasy and want a dose of nostalgia. If Final Fantasy means nothing to you, though, there might not be that much of a draw here.

FFRK replays the stories and key battles from the entire Final Fantasy series, done up in FFVI-style sprite artwork. I don't know how it compares to some of the other free-to-play games mentioned above, but from what I understand it doesn't give out quite as much free stuff/pulls as some others, but it's doable without spending real money if you're willing to go at it slowly. There's years worth of content to plow through, which gives a ton of resources to a new player (and there's an anniversary coming up soon that will have a lot of powerful draws on it), but I can imagine it would be a rather intimidating about of stuff to do.

There is constant power creep in FFRK, but I feel a lot of the older stuff is still pretty viable for most content, so once you've built up a decent supply of artifacts there isn't the constant draw to spend to get new equipment.

DFFOO, instead, has the Final Fantasy characters all coming together on an abandoned world to tell its own story. The story's not exceptional, but it's nice to see some of the character interactions. The system is pretty simple, and I do feel confident saying that it's generous for anyone who wants to stay free-to-play -- I've never felt the need to purchase anything, and I still have a healthy supply of resources to spend if something comes along that I really want. The power creep is a little steeper than FFRK, but I believe that's going to start levelling out in the future.

DFFOO is definitely the easier of the two for a new player to get into, but I feel there's a greater variety of tactics and depth in FFRK. DFFOO has lovely art, while FFRK has some seriously good renditions of music from the games. FFRK's interface is a little dated, with a lot of menus, while DFFOO's is pretty slick.

Ikselam

a heavy bear to cross
Validated User
Taking a step back for a minute, my advice would be to avoid gacha character-collecting games altogether. Everyone has their favorite that they'll stan for, but it's so easy to feel bad about them.

Last edited:

Fae

radiance of the moon
Validated User
Taking a step back for a minute, my advice would be to avoid gacha character-collecting games altogether. Everyone has their favorite that they'll stan for, but it's so easy to feel bad about them.
The secret is to never want anything unless it's guaranteed.

Crinos

Be inspired!
Validated User
Well, as it turns out, I need to get a memory card for my phone, so for now I'll have to settle for the games I got.

Mario Runner, Pokemon Go, and Hearthstone.

So... Mario Runner.

Its super fun though.

Top Bottom