• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Just started playing Blood Bowl 2! Advice?

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Just picked up the $20 Blood Bowl 2 on Steam. So far so good, but I just hit the first match with the Dwarves (the Grudge Bearers), and man was that a fight. Almost a slog.

I'm not sure how much of the campaign is left. Hopefully a good bit.

What should I know about the game? I'm a little confused with the management, and it seems the whole campaign is just a human team? Is multiplayer any fun?

Spaßwolf

Validated User
Just picked up the $20 Blood Bowl 2 on Steam. So far so good, but I just hit the first match with the Dwarves (the Grudge Bearers), and man was that a fight. Almost a slog.

I'm not sure how much of the campaign is left. Hopefully a good bit.

What should I know about the game? I'm a little confused with the management, and it seems the whole campaign is just a human team? Is multiplayer any fun?
I've mostly played multiplayer matches with friends. Multiplayer is definitely where the fun is. I've never played matches with strangers, so I can't really tell you much about the community or about how long it takes to find a match.
Random matches against the AI are nice to test teams, but the AI can be stupid.

Have you played Blood Bowl 1 or the board game? If not, you should be able to find the rules online. I'll also gladly answer any questions, but I don't want to make this post overly long, when for all I know you could be a Blood Bowl veteran, who's just new to BB2.

One thing that's nice to know specifically for BB2: You can enable Skill Icons above the players' head with CTRL (it cycles between showing All Skills, Only Skills from Levelups and No Skills).

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Never played BB1 or the board game.

The randomness of some things is a little weird for me (like a to-hit roll to pick up the ball), but so far so good. The "going for it" makes sense. The fumbling of the ball makes sense but can be a little brutal.

Therion

Hi there!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
One thing to keep in mind (which you've probably noticed) is that there's dice rolls for just about everything. Learning how to spread risks, account for the opposing team's strong points, which team or player can do what and how you can level up your players are things which can really affect how you approach the game. A youtuber/twitch streamer/paradox employee named Cknoor has a few videos to introduce people to BB2.

At some point you may also wish to hit up bbtactics and the official Blood Bowl rules (which should be included in the documentation for BB2, if I recall correctly) for more information.

Spaßwolf

Validated User
Never played BB1 or the board game.

The randomness of some things is a little weird for me (like a to-hit roll to pick up the ball), but so far so good. The "going for it" makes sense. The fumbling of the ball makes sense but can be a little brutal.
Most of those to-hit rolls (for ball handling and moving out of a tackling zone) are modified dexterity tests, so they will be harder for dwarves and easier for elves. (Go for it is just a 1/6 chance.)

In general it's a good idea to play your turn in a way that minimizes the risk of a turnover. Whenever you roll a die you should ideally be in a position, where fumbling does not leave you wide open to a counter attack. Moving is generally safe, picking up the ball is important enough to be worth the risk, unimportant blocks should be done at the end of the turn, throwing and catching are risky, because it's two rolls.

Pay attention to the turn number (and the score), so you know when it's time for risky plays. I like to have at least one player far enough in the opponents half, that he can potentially score, if I somehow manage to get the ball in the very last turn. (If I think I can afford not having that player defending.)

Should you try multiplayer pay attention to the turn timer settings. You probably need more time for your turns than a more experienced player.

You probably know the 5 symbols on the block dice by now. The sixth side has a second push arrow.

Your players gain XP for passing successfully, scoring touchdowns or injuring enemy players. On a level up they get to pick one thing: They always have access to their class skills, roll 2D6 to either unlock additional skill options (on doubles) or attribute score increases (on high rolls). Having high level players will increase your team value.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Egad... just started the game with the Elves. Turnovers! Horrifying! O_O

I assume they're an essential part of the game? A little frustrating though.

Cannonball

So bouncy!
Validated User
If you want to learn the game, the best beginner team is orcs. They're cheap, they're tough, they can handle the ball without looking like buffoons and they can beat stuff up real good. I recommend them until you've got a handle on things!

And yes, turnovers are an essential part of the game. They're why Blood Bowl is a game of risk management. As a rule of thumb - and I echo those above me - you do everything that has no risk, and then everything that has low risk and then move onto the risky stuff. And what's risky and what mitigating risk means depends on the team you're playing...

Highly recommend BBtactics as linked above. Both for team specific strategy and suggested starting line-ups to make the early game less rough.

But for real: orcs first! They're a good team, forgiving and will let you try your hand at all things BB.

Montegris

Mostly lurking
Validated User
Can you change your race for Campaign? I started off with Humans :/
The campaign is an extended tutorial, actually. It will progressively add new rules as you play, and it's a pretty good way to learn the game. Humans are another solid beginner team (that's why those are the two teams in the starter). Were it not for the time difference between us, I'd offer to play a couple of intro games with voice chat so I could teach you the rules and basic strategy, but with you being in Hawaii, it's 11 hours of difference I think.

Top Bottom