[Kickstarter] Channel A: Alpha Genesis

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
I got my copy this week. I really like the slimmer design they went with this time - the last version was an actual game box, which is just unnecessary. Definitely taking this to game day this month.

CarpeGuitarrem

Blogger and gamer
Validated User
Yeah, got mine in too, very nice components all around. I also realized that the Producer design this time around is almost certainly a reference to Miyamori Aoi from Shirobako. (I mean, she's a producer, the hair color is right, the eye color is pretty close...even if it's not intentional, that's my headcanon.)

Next step, when I get bored, is to remake my custom cards and brainstorm some new ones...I had "Attack" (Attack on Titan), "Gate" (Steins;Gate), and "Bizarre" (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure) put together, but it's been a few years and some of my tastes have changed.

ranson

"Two Sheds"
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Played it last night with the family. Everyone enjoyed the concept. My son the anime fan loves the idea, but isn't an improvisational thinker; he generates great titles but can't back them up. My daughter got stuck in a running gag about "season 3, they go to space; season 5, everyone dies". My wife petered out because it was late, but enjoyed herself and tied for the win. I dominated the pitch phase most of the time, because I am a skilled bullshit artist, and definitely have to play this again.

CarpeGuitarrem

Blogger and gamer
Validated User
Played it last night with the family. Everyone enjoyed the concept. My son the anime fan loves the idea, but isn't an improvisational thinker; he generates great titles but can't back them up. My daughter got stuck in a running gag about "season 3, they go to space; season 5, everyone dies". My wife petered out because it was late, but enjoyed herself and tied for the win. I dominated the pitch phase most of the time, because I am a skilled bullshit artist, and definitely have to play this again.
That sounds pretty fun! Did you use any kind of timer? (I'm thinking of doing that myself, like the rules variant suggests, to keep the game moving quickly and to nudge people away from coming up with long, elaborate pitches that meander and get lost; that's definitely happened when I played the prior edition with friends.)

ranson

"Two Sheds"
RPGnet Member
Validated User
We added a 30 second timer after my daughter rambled for a bit, but I could recommend 1 minute for a detailed pitch.

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
I played a game with my wife and sons. They're 16 and 12, the youngest on the autism spectrum. Being the youngest, he took a little bit to catch on, and petered out toward the end as his attention drifted, but we had a lot of fun. I put out a couple of very serious pitches that won out, and I think I could've ridden that strategy to a summary victory, but as it is I won by two points.

Somehow, we ended up with an odd number of premise cards at the end, so we missed something somewhere, but no one really cared because everyone had fun.

ranson

"Two Sheds"
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I played a game with my wife and sons. They're 16 and 12, the youngest on the autism spectrum. Being the youngest, he took a little bit to catch on, and petered out toward the end as his attention drifted, but we had a lot of fun. I put out a couple of very serious pitches that won out, and I think I could've ridden that strategy to a summary victory, but as it is I won by two points.

Somehow, we ended up with an odd number of premise cards at the end, so we missed something somewhere, but no one really cared because everyone had fun.
It's possible to end up with uneven cards if you have a tie that goes more than two ways; you draw off the deck to get everyone points.

Top Bottom