• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[Kickstarter] Corporia brings you knights in Armani

Weisenheim

Baroque Space Orc Mage
Validated User
Corporia is a game up on Kickstarter right now that intrigues me, because of the premise. A few others I know are in a similar boat, but I don't hear much chatter about it. Maybe folks haven't heard.

It's sort of a mix between urban fantasy and cyberpunk. That sounds like Shadowrun, but this has a different premise. Characters are either the reincarnations of Knights of Camelot or their allies, working under the CEO of a corporation, who happens to be the reincarnation of a well-known Knight of the Round Table (Lancelot) along with his assistant and an AI (Merlin). It's in the future, in a setting that has more or less gotten nasty despite technological progress and so forth. In response to the dystopia developing, the Knights come back into the world, and when they do so, they rip holes in reality. Through these holes, nasty things come out, and the Knights, being Knightly people, fight off the things that they basically inflicted on the world.

It has magic, hacking, fighting, social manipulations, and pretty much whatever else comes with the territory. There's a preview available for download through the Kickstarter page, more of a teaser than anything else, but it should give you an idea of what's going on.

This is also the author's (Mark Plemmons) first solo project, but he notes a number of games in which he has design credits, so this is a chance to see what he can do with stuff of his own. I'm cautiously optimistic about it at this point, considering raising my pledge as the campaign progresses.

Last edited:

baakyocalder

RPGnet Member
Validated User
From the preview, the core mechanic is a 2d6+score target number system. You use the higher of 2d6 and add it to the score. Rolling a natural 6 gives you an additional roll, adding to your total. This is combined with a degree of success system, which I'm not clear on.

However, the preview is fairly short and more interested in the flavor than the mechanics.

Mark Plemmons was editor and writer on many projects for Kenzer & Company and also supervised the fan association known as the HMA and the quarterly magazine called the Hackjournal. While I'll admit personal bias having worked with him on articles and other projects, I know Mark thinks carefully about both mechanics and fluff and tries to make sure the mechanics and fluff work well together.

Here's a link to the Corporia preview so you can decide for yourself whether the product is intriguing:
http://plebotamus.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/corporia_preview_1310144.pdf

baakyocalder

RPGnet Member
Validated User
From the project updates e-mailed to backers, the fifth e-mail says:

'I updated the front page with a special backer reward! Once we hit $5000 funding - which is really close now - I'll provide a special bonus character item for all Citizen (PDF) and higher-level backers: a prototype exosuit of armor, portrayed as a corporate advertisement complete with equipment statistics! (This item will also be added to the supplement PDF, but will not appear in the core book.'

Citizen is the $10 level that gets you a PDF of the game and the wallpaper in PDF. Other levels get you the hardcover book and more cool benefits.

Yes, I backed this. It's by Mark Plemmons, so I know it will be on time and awesome.

Weisenheim

Baroque Space Orc Mage
Validated User
I saw a comment that it got pushed over $5000 but then I looked at the total of pledges and it was just under. The number of backers seems to be a bit higher, so unfortunately maybe someone had to lower their pledge. I want to see what this project can do. I wonder if there's anything that people would like to see that would get them more interested?

Weisenheim

Baroque Space Orc Mage
Validated User
There's another goal along the way, this one for $7500 to get an additional archetype added to the game, to be included in a supplemental PDF. Also, according to this thread, the author will have a Q&A session on IRC tonight.

Top Bottom