• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Kickstarter] Gloomhaven: Second Printing

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
My two favorites so far. I played both in the most 'dps' build possible and they are fun like that :)
I'm still trying to wrap my head around Lightning Bolt, though someone gave me good advice

Spoiler: Show
use the sword that eats fire to give bonus damage. The Berserker generates a lot of Fire, but hardly ever uses it.

joenr76

Escalation die!
Validated User
I'm still trying to wrap my head around Lightning Bolt, though someone gave me good advice

use the sword that eats fire to give bonus damage. The Berserker generates a lot of Fire, but hardly ever uses it.
We haven't found that item yet. I play her with Blood Pact combined with all 'below half hp' cards.

Ideal first turn:
- get hit at least once (damage gets 'halved' anyway)
- Play bottom Bounce back (enhanced with strenghten and tap boots to trigger item 107, move 5 means you should almost always be able to find 2 enemies behind each other)
- hit with Blood Pact (enhanced with +1 damage), using item 26.
Result:
- a hit of 8 + advantage
- a hit of 7 + advantage (item 107 only works once)
- Berserker is below halve and strenghtened next round too.

item 107 is the horned Helm (Which is funny when you know that Inox already have three horns.)
Item 26 is the long spear

This build works best with when combined with a tanky team mate.

Azegoroth

Validated User
Tried Gloomhaven for the first time this weekend, it was great, though it felt like we almost ran out of time in the first scenario(people were down to very few cards left). Did we do something wrong or is that how it usually goes?

CWalck93

Doom Priest of Peace and Happiness
Validated User
Tried Gloomhaven for the first time this weekend, it was great, though it felt like we almost ran out of time in the first scenario(people were down to very few cards left). Did we do something wrong or is that how it usually goes?
From my experience, that's pretty much how you go through most of the scenarios. I've had many times where we've had either run out of cards to play or were down to one or two turns left.

joenr76

Escalation die!
Validated User
In the beginning, that is usually how it works, especially if you lose cards to mitigate damage . I also believe that the first 2 scenarios are made especially to point out to players that playing early or too many lost cards is -usually- a bad idea.

That's actually one of the things I like less about Gloomhaven: in the long run, the game becomes easier instead of more challenging. We're now regularly playing on +2 difficulty and trying to prolong the game at the end by not killing the last enemy so people can gather tokens and play XP cards.

The number of enemies scales with number of players, stats of those enemies scale with your chosen difficulty level. The opposition does not scale for the number of perks you have from earlier retirements or with wealth (in the form of items and enhancements.)

There's a reason that in the next big box expansion, the stamina potions will be nerved.

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I have retired the current crew for my solo game (Two Minis/Tinkerer/Lightning Bolt). I've now unlocked the last class, which is Squid Face and I've played every class at least once except Squid Face. What should my next team be?

1) Squid Face
2) ??
3) ??

My first thought is Squid Face/Music Note/Cragheart because

I want to try one party that's essentially "all Curses all the time". Squid Face and Music Note curse already, and you can easily add Curse to Dirt Tornado for the Cragheart.

Additionally, the Cragheart is the class I had to retire earlier than I wanted and have wanting to go back and try again.

Thoughts?

Beckett

Golden Wyvern Adept
Validated User
Sounds workable, although Squid Face is the only one I've had experience with.
My wife had been playing it with an emphasis on Curses, and wow it feels nice to see 0 damage pop up. Multiply that by three, I think you'll be fine not worrying about a tank.
Downside of Squid as I've seen is it's a support class- very handy, but frustrating for my wife coming from killing things directly with the Scoundrel. Now, she's helping my Sun and my friend's Angry Face be awesome, while her personal quest of killing elites lags behind. Not an issue when you're playing everyone yourself.

Victim

Validated User
In the beginning, that is usually how it works, especially if you lose cards to mitigate damage . I also believe that the first 2 scenarios are made especially to point out to players that playing early or too many lost cards is -usually- a bad idea.

That's actually one of the things I like less about Gloomhaven: in the long run, the game becomes easier instead of more challenging. We're now regularly playing on +2 difficulty and trying to prolong the game at the end by not killing the last enemy so people can gather tokens and play XP cards.

The number of enemies scales with number of players, stats of those enemies scale with your chosen difficulty level. The opposition does not scale for the number of perks you have from earlier retirements or with wealth (in the form of items and enhancements.)

There's a reason that in the next big box expansion, the stamina potions will be nerved.
OTOH, Gloomhaven is trying to portray an element of progression in story, but has level scaling scenarios. It's the tangential elements to both characters and monsters that convey that progression. More powerful monsters are scarier at the same level than a Vermling Scout or Bandit Guard; and so its the same for characters. I mean, due to the way retirements and whatnot work, you could do the final story mission as a pair of fresh level 1 guys. But those level 1s would be the hand picked successors of a band of famous or infamous warriors, with special training and talent for their perks and enhanced cards, as opposed to the level 1s who start the game.

---------------------------

Squidface is a class that was hit really hard by the revisions in the reprint.

One thing to remember is that curses are now limited to 10 for you and 10 for the monsters, so you can run into diminishing returns on having tons of curse powers. Playing two player, we could often approach that limit with just Note+Squidface without any additional cursing characters, and some of the aoe stuff would get even better at cursing with 3 players. So you might not need someone else ready to curse.

Another thing about that kind of party is that it can make the first room pretty rough. When you have a lot of curses in the deck, you essentially have a good natural defense and want to add curses to stay there. However, when you start off with no curses in the enemy deck and need to build them up while also setting up some other ongoing effect cards, you don't actually have a lot going for you. Especially since the cards that curse tend to have that as part of their power, as opposed to other immediate effects like stuns or big damage.

Last edited:

joenr76

Escalation die!
Validated User
I have retired the current crew for my solo game (Two Minis/Tinkerer/Lightning Bolt). I've now unlocked the last class, which is Squid Face and I've played every class at least once except Squid Face. What should my next team be?

1) Squid Face
2) ??
3) ??

My first thought is Squid Face/Music Note/Cragheart because

I want to try one party that's essentially "all Curses all the time". Squid Face and Music Note curse already, and you can easily add Curse to Dirt Tornado for the Cragheart.

Additionally, the Cragheart is the class I had to retire earlier than I wanted and have wanting to go back and try again.

Thoughts?
because you put it in spoilers:
I've seen a dedicated cthulhuface stuff all 10 curse cards in the monster's deck. And Music Note is only a bit slower. I don't think you need to add a third cursing character.

OTOH, Gloomhaven is trying to portray an element of progression in story, but has level scaling scenarios. It's the tangential elements to both characters and monsters that convey that progression. More powerful monsters are scarier at the same level than a Vermling Scout or Bandit Guard; and so its the same for characters. I mean, due to the way retirements and whatnot work, you could do the final story mission as a pair of fresh level 1 guys. But those level 1s would be the hand picked successors of a band of famous or infamous warriors, with special training and talent for their perks and enhanced cards, as opposed to the level 1s who start the game.
[/SPOILER]
I'm talking about pure mechanical scaling. It's not an rpg, it's a board game. And a large number of the scenario's don't have a fixed order in which you play them anyway.

One thing to remember is that curses are now limited to 10 for you and 10 for the monsters, so you can run into diminishing returns on having tons of curse powers.
IIRC, that was always the case, but the curse cards weren't marked. It was in the rules.

Playing two player, we could often approach that limit with just Note+Squidface without any additional cursing characters, and some of the aoe stuff would get even better at cursing with 3 players. So you might not need someone else ready to curse.
As I spoilered above: I think that dedicated cthulhuface and dedicated Music Note are already too much.

Top Bottom