[Kickstarter] Gloomhaven: Second Printing

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Spoiler: Show
I've seen a dedicated cthulhuface stuff all 10 curse cards in the monster's deck. And Music Note is only a bit slower. I don't think you need to add a third cursing character.
It's less that the Cragheart would be adding Curses constantly, and more that Dirt Tornado would be the one card in his deck that would be able to add Curses opportunistically if necessary. I get the feeling Turn 1 for the Cragheart is going to be throwing out obstacles that keep the enemy numbers reduced for a turn to get all the Curses and permanent abilities set up.

Additionally, I don't think I can actually afford to Curse Dirt Tornado for quite a few games until I have enough Gold. We'll have to see.

joenr76

Escalation die!
Validated User
More spoiler tags :)

It's less that the Cragheart would be adding Curses constantly, and more that Dirt Tornado would be the one card in his deck that would be able to add Curses opportunistically if necessary. I get the feeling Turn 1 for the Cragheart is going to be throwing out obstacles that keep the enemy numbers reduced for a turn to get all the Curses and permanent abilities set up.

Additionally, I don't think I can actually afford to Curse Dirt Tornado for quite a few games until I have enough Gold. We'll have to see.
I don't think it's worth the money if it's only to be used opportunistically. I also think that you'll need much more damage. None of these tree have super high damage output. You'll probably never die, but slogging through hp will take a while. In theory, of course. We never played that way.

Beckett

Golden Wyvern Adept
Validated User
Triple retirement today. I traded out my Sun for an Eclipse, my wife was grateful to leave Squid behind and get Two Minis, and my friend swapped Angry Face for Three Arrows. We had a rough start, moving into scenario 41, which maybe starts rough for anyone? After a false start we came in with a new plan and started figuring out how to play the characters. I'm expecting good things from this group (starting at level 5 from prosperity and this being the second retirement didn't hurt).

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Well, two minis and 3 spears both have a 1st round where they lay down persistent effects. Scenarios that have a tough first room will be difficult for that crew.

That said, you've got three of the strongest classes in the game.

Kath

The Furthest Away
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Triple retirement today. I traded out my Sun for an Eclipse, my wife was grateful to leave Squid behind and get Two Minis, and my friend swapped Angry Face for Three Arrows. We had a rough start, moving into scenario 41, which maybe starts rough for anyone? After a false start we came in with a new plan and started figuring out how to play the characters. I'm expecting good things from this group (starting at level 5 from prosperity and this being the second retirement didn't hurt).
My group normally reduces the difficulty by 1 for a scenario or two if we have a new character; if we have multiple simultaneous retirements, we *always* lower the difficulty by 1 for a bit.

Beckett

Golden Wyvern Adept
Validated User
My group normally reduces the difficulty by 1 for a scenario or two if we have a new character; if we have multiple simultaneous retirements, we *always* lower the difficulty by 1 for a bit.
Not a bad idea. We were thinking since the requirement is escape, we could just race out the door... except none of us is set to race out the door. Add in some area attacks and, not good. Plus we were down health and wounded from the road.

Second try went much better. But it's rough having everyone in range of all the starting monsters.

flashedarling

Validated User
Has anyone played around with the random scenarios? I've had the game for over a year and I haven't even touched those decks. With over 90 scenarios in the book I still have a long to-do list of available scenarios our group hasn't tried. Yet I'm curious about how well the mechanics behind the randomly generated scenarios work.

Victim

Validated User
One of the scenarios for a personal quest essentially has you do a random scenario and that was our experience with it. The extra difficulty effect things made it feel a lot more punishing than most missions; still winnable, but kind of mean.

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
One of the scenarios for a personal quest essentially has you do a random scenario and that was our experience with it. The extra difficulty effect things made it feel a lot more punishing than most missions; still winnable, but kind of mean.
I'll give a +1 to that. Since I'm playing solo all the solo scenarios, mini-campaigns, casual replays, and the upcoming Forbidden Circles, IIRC I've got about 60 scenarios unplayed (and that's after playing 85 games of Gloomhaven). I don't fee like I need to use the random scenario generator.

Top Bottom