• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Kickstarter] Gloomhaven: Second Printing

Weebles

Validated User
Happy to get playing this again after a 7 month hiatus where all the players in our team were moving. I'm not situated in a townhouse and the added space is great! Especially now that the tables are set up and Gloomhaven can hit the deck once more.

Questions regarding personal quests of my group's first set of characters. We've played maybe 10-12 or so scenarios.

1) Our Inox Brute has the "Finding the Cure" personal quest, which involves killing 8 Forest Imps. She managed to kill 7 when we went to the Vibrant Grotto... other than that one scenario, we haven't seen Forest Imps. Are they in short supply in the scenarios? Ie, is it gonna be a long while before encountering another one?

2) Our Spellweaver has "The Thin Places", which seems rare and difficult to find side scenarios for (there are only six cards, which are I think found as treasure/from random events?). So far we've gotten one unlocked from a treasure chest. I have seen it elsewhere online that the 'side scenarios' include not only those 6 quest cards, but also things that are unlocked via personal side quests- for example, for "Finding the Cure", once the 8 Forest imps are killed, it unlocks an encounter. Would that count towards these side scenarios for "The Thin Places"? In which case, it seems less rare and random for that to happen.

(My Cragheart has 'give the church 120gp' and our Mindthief has "kill 20 elites" so we have a lot more obvious control over doing those goals).

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
1) Forest Imps are relatively rare in the scenarios. If the Brute player wants to retire, and the other players are ok with it, just replay Vibrant Grotto and let the Brute kill more Imps.

2) Yes. Any mission over 51 is a "side mission". These are triggered from City/Road Events, Retirement Quests, Random Mission rewards, and a few other things that are slipping my mind right now.

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Separately, the spoiler below is about the resolution of Envelope X. If you know what I'm talking about, or you don't know what the resolution is, I suggest not looking.

Spoiler: Show
I've now played every class in the box and I'm left with just the Bladeswarm unplayed. I'm coming close to retiring my next crew of characters, does anybody have any experience with the Bladeswarm? Suggestions for a 3 character party? I was *thinking* about mixing it with the Mindthief because IMO I didn't play it very well last time, and maybe 3 Spears just because it's a favorite of mine.

joenr76

Escalation die!
Validated User
Separately, the spoiler below is about the resolution of Envelope X. If you know what I'm talking about, or you don't know what the resolution is, I suggest not looking.

I've now played every class in the box and I'm left with just the Bladeswarm unplayed. I'm coming close to retiring my next crew of characters, does anybody have any experience with the Bladeswarm? Suggestions for a 3 character party? I was *thinking* about mixing it with the Mindthief because IMO I didn't play it very well last time, and maybe 3 Spears just because it's a favorite of mine.
Spoiling the same thing...

Note that I haven't actually played the Bladeswarm, so this is mainly theory crafting. The Bladeswarm seems to have some weird mechanics with summons. Maybe adding a class that interacts with summons would be better: Summoner or Beast tyrant spring to mind. Try those three together for full Summon madness ;)

EDIT: or the Music note. That might work with lots of summons on the board too.

joenr76

Escalation die!
Validated User
1) Our Inox Brute has the "Finding the Cure" personal quest, which involves killing 8 Forest Imps. She managed to kill 7 when we went to the Vibrant Grotto... other than that one scenario, we haven't seen Forest Imps. Are they in short supply in the scenarios? Ie, is it gonna be a long while before encountering another one?

2) Our Spellweaver has "The Thin Places", which seems rare and difficult to find side scenarios for (there are only six cards, which are I think found as treasure/from random events?). So far we've gotten one unlocked from a treasure chest. I have seen it elsewhere online that the 'side scenarios' include not only those 6 quest cards, but also things that are unlocked via personal side quests- for example, for "Finding the Cure", once the 8 Forest imps are killed, it unlocks an encounter. Would that count towards these side scenarios for "The Thin Places"? In which case, it seems less rare and random for that to happen.
If you really want to know, there's a page on BGG that spoils different ways to get to the personal quests for all of them. They are spoiler blocked, so you can visit the page without unintentionally spoiling yourself.

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Spoiling the same thing...

Note that I haven't actually played the Bladeswarm, so this is mainly theory crafting. The Bladeswarm seems to have some weird mechanics with summons. Maybe adding a class that interacts with summons would be better: Summoner or Beast tyrant spring to mind. Try those three together for full Summon madness ;)

EDIT: or the Music note. That might work with lots of summons on the board too.
I've heard that Bladeswarm is a class that you might have one or two summons out for the special abilities they give you, but not really for themselves as fighters. I'm at Prosperity 8, and apparently one of the cards makes the "melee attacking lots of people around you" build really work well.

Also: in 3 and 4 player games it feels like I should ALWAYS include Music Note. :) I'm currently playing it in my party and would rather not play it twice in a row.

joenr76

Escalation die!
Validated User
I've heard that Bladeswarm is a class that you might have one or two summons out for the special abilities they give you, but not really for themselves as fighters. I'm at Prosperity 8, and apparently one of the cards makes the "melee attacking lots of people around you" build really work well.

Also: in 3 and 4 player games it feels like I should ALWAYS include Music Note. :) I'm currently playing it in my party and would rather not play it twice in a row.

As I see it, the problem is that the summons move on their own, but that their positions is what gives you the special ability. The Summoner and the Beast tyrant have cards that move summons around and/or keep summons alive. So it's not for fighting, but for optimising their positions.

We're at prosperity 7, so don't know what item you're talking about. And I don't want to know, either. ;)

About the music Note: very true.

Stork!

Wish I was a hippo.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
We are currently Sun, Saw and Two Minis. Two Minis just retired to be replaced by Music Note. From everything I've ever heard Music Note is super good but the transition is going to be absolutely brutal. So different from what we're doing now.
Right now I provide a lot of support (and very little healing) and the occasional key execution. I've played a couple of scenarios where I either didn't attack or did only a couple of times. Meanwhile Sun and the bear rampage. Losing the bear is a lot of damage gone as well as 20+ bonus HP. Music Note seems like a fantastic support class but I'm going to have to pivot my Saw into being someone to support rather than just support myself. We did joke that we could probably just buff the hell out of Sun between the two of us and just let her rampage through the scenarios by herself while we stay in the first room. We're very close to the end now, only class left locked is Eclipse but this is probably the weirdest change in party makeup we've done, feels like it anyways. We're going to miss swapping the position of figures a lot. That is a game-breakingly broken ability. This will also be the first time in a long time that we haven't been using summons. We had a long time Doomstalker and then halfway through their life my Circles then halfway through Circles' life we added the bear.

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
We are currently Sun, Saw and Two Minis. Two Minis just retired to be replaced by Music Note. From everything I've ever heard Music Note is super good but the transition is going to be absolutely brutal. So different from what we're doing now.
Right now I provide a lot of support (and very little healing) and the occasional key execution. I've played a couple of scenarios where I either didn't attack or did only a couple of times. Meanwhile Sun and the bear rampage. Losing the bear is a lot of damage gone as well as 20+ bonus HP. Music Note seems like a fantastic support class but I'm going to have to pivot my Saw into being someone to support rather than just support myself. We did joke that we could probably just buff the hell out of Sun between the two of us and just let her rampage through the scenarios by herself while we stay in the first room. We're very close to the end now, only class left locked is Eclipse but this is probably the weirdest change in party makeup we've done, feels like it anyways. We're going to miss swapping the position of figures a lot. That is a game-breakingly broken ability. This will also be the first time in a long time that we haven't been using summons. We had a long time Doomstalker and then halfway through their life my Circles then halfway through Circles' life we added the bear.
spoilers about Music Note
I know you joked, but an effective Music Note can't remain in the first room and be nearly 100% effective. A support Soothsinger will want to be throwing out Area effect Stuns, Disarms, and Curses. I personally prefer running the Disadvantage everybody song at level 4 most of the time. There's also a really good "Attack 4, Range 4, Push 3" on the bottom of one of the Soothsinger's action cards that I find myself using a LOT.

There's even a build for Music Note that include the items that change the base 2 Attack Action to a 3 or 4. The Soothsinger has one of the best Perk selections in the game, so making it attack more either through base "Attack 2" or through Summons like the Power Core, Skeletons, or the Mountain Hammer can make a surprisingly effective damage dealer while still having one or two songs in its card selection

spoilers about Saw
I've heard that you can make Sawbones a highly effective damage dealer, but in my one playthrough of it, I stuck with a support role

Stork!

Wish I was a hippo.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
V vitus979
We were looking at Sun getting 1 perma shield from her own cards and then 2 (and immunity to conditions) from me and 1 from Music Note. Plus her items and our ability "pulse" the shield higher as needed. We fully intend to go with her but I'm only half joking about needing to.

I can see that I have attacks but I stopped bringing them because I wasn't using them. I'm not worried, too much, about us having real trouble I'm just going to have to play a whole different person of the same class.

Top Bottom