• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Kickstarter] Gloomhaven: Second Printing

Vrylakos

All right, all right, all right...
Validated User
SO.... this is 96 bucks, and I could get it... but my group is kind of ragged these days with various things eating up people's time. Is this a bad game for such a situation? Is it good solo? Two people?

Is it hard for folks to just drop in on?

Victim

Validated User
SO.... this is 96 bucks, and I could get it... but my group is kind of ragged these days with various things eating up people's time. Is this a bad game for such a situation? Is it good solo? Two people?

Is it hard for folks to just drop in on?
Most of my games have been with 2. But it does benefit from a stable group IMO. Perhaps not so much as other legacy games, because you can drop new characters in, and they'll have some scaling because on the town level and such, but there's stuff like personal quests, story progression, etc that will be kind of lost on people who play much less frequently. So would it be the same 2 people, or you+ a random person from your group each time?

I know some people here have been soloing regularly too.

Stork!

Wish I was a hippo.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It works well as solo player, multiple characters. It does not support solo player solo character. If that's a distinction that matters to you.

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Most of my games have been with 2. But it does benefit from a stable group IMO. Perhaps not so much as other legacy games, because you can drop new characters in, and they'll have some scaling because on the town level and such, but there's stuff like personal quests, story progression, etc that will be kind of lost on people who play much less frequently. So would it be the same 2 people, or you+ a random person from your group each time?
I agree with pretty much all of this. The game itself allows drop-in-dop-out unofficially, but still very well. The amount of hassle depends on how much the people who "just drop in" are annoyed by some things. It's pretty similar to when one guy at your RPG table only shows up once every four sessions. Some people are fine to just experience what is offered, other people get annoyed by not being able to follow the story, not having the same items as others, not having the same mechanical advantage (aka not as much XP) etc... because they can't be there regularly.

Depending on how you play the drop-in players the game will be slightly more difficult, but most of that is just that you'll have a less experienced player at the table combined with a more difficult scenario because you have more characters in the game. A small amount of the increased difficulty will be that the drop-in character will have fewer retirement perks and be slightly less powerful than the rest of the characters (even taking level differential into account).

I know some people here have been soloing regularly too.
<raises hand>
I'm nearly 100 sessions into my solo campaign and I think it plays solo great. I shoot for one scenario per session, 2 - 4 times a week. If I don't set that schedule it's going to be 3 years before I finish. :) It usually takes between 1.5 and 2 hours per session these days, but near the beginning of the campaign was closer to 3 - 4 hours. I play solo because I couldn't find a group of people who could consistently show up often enough to finish off the game in 18 months.

The game rewards coordination between characters and for some players that get frustrated when coordination doesn't happen well I think it actually plays better solo than as a group because it allows you to coordinate all the actions. It's built for a solo player to only play two characters, however there's nothing stopping playing three or four characters except your ability to juggle that many responsibilities. I found that three characters is my comfortable limit. Four was too much work and two felt a bit sparse and doesn't allow for some character combinations.

Last edited:

Vrylakos

All right, all right, all right...
Validated User
Well... arriving Tuesday.

HM, and I note there's a lot of 3d models I could print to support this game. :)

Do people have strong thoughts on storage solutions?

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Well... arriving Tuesday.

HM, and I note there's a lot of 3d models I could print to support this game. :)

Do people have strong thoughts on storage solutions?
Here's my post from BGG comparing the Meeple Realty insert with the Broken Token insert.

Neither seems ideal.

I've got the Meeple Realty insert for my copy of Gloomhaven, and I've seen the Broken Token insert that two different friends of mine own. I've never gamed with it but both friends have had their own complaints. Each seems to have their pros and cons.

Note: I always glue my inserts together, so I don't ever run into complaints of joints that don't stay together.

Meeple Realty

Con - It's a huge pain to put together, and I'm not referring to the time it takes. The process of building Meeple Realty inserts is never as smooth as Broken Token, but building this one was more frustrating than most. I had to sand down numerous joints and friction-fit lids to make it all go together. There was much MUCH hammering done. I would also suggest sanding the corners and edges to round them a bit so they don't snag when going in the box.

Pro - everything has a lid. Nobody is going to intentionally knock over the box, but it's good to know that if it ever falls on its side in the trunk of your car the pieces won't go everywhere.

Pro - Space for original Class boxes - this means you can hold all the Classes in their original boxes.

Con - no organized way to put the tiles back in the box. It's a 3d version of Tetris trying to get the tiles back in the box without the lid floating too much.

Pro - all the tokens are in one well-constructed tray. This seems a bit minor, but after 40+ games, I'm really happy with the way Meeple Realty did the token tray for conditions, money, elements, number/letter tokens, etc... (even if I did have to sand down the lid of the tray to make it fit)

Broken Token

Pro - Build. I have never built this one myself, but my friend said this insert constructs just as nicely as other BT inserts.

Con - Tuckboxes for monsters. My friend has mentioned numerous times that it's frustrating getting everything back into the monster tuckboxes, especially for those monsters that have 10x standees.

Con - Not enough space for all the Class boxes. I'm not sure I quite grok this one, but apparently the player trays mean that the game expects you to have 4x active characters, because with the player trays there is only enough space for 13 Class boxes.

Con - no lids on many trays. One friend had a box with the BT insert tip partially and he ended up with a mess to clean up.

Pro - organized way to put map tiles back into the insert.

Pro - active player trays are a nice way to organize everything for each active character.

Something neither insert does well is handling monsters. The best solution I've seen is to use old paper Compact Disk envelopes to hold the monster card, the standees, and the action cards all in one place.

Also, it looks like neither of the inserts will be able to handle the Class box for the new Forbidden Circles expansion coming out this fall/winter.

I originally was quite jealous of my buddies for getting the BT insert (I generally prefer BT over Meeple Realty, but I got my MR insert well before BT announced theirs), but after hearing their opinions on the BT insert I'm happy with the Meeple Realty one I have....though part of that may be because my memory of constructing it is fading.

I'm not going to say the MR insert is better though. I don't have enough experience with the BT insert to make that determination.​

Since then I've added an accordion file to store all the map tiles. I've heard this is a common solution to make it easier to get at the map tiles you need.

Last edited:

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Has there been any theorycrafting of the Diviner in the Forgotten Circles expansion yet? Either what classes to match it with, or viable build options? I'm not finding much on BGG, and I don't check reddit much.

Icon

Old enough to know better
Validated User
After a six week hiatus, my group got back to Gloomhaven this past weekend.

It would be hard to not believe the scenario was designed to let Craghearts shine. Drop enough boulders and you control how things have to move to engage you. I think I ended up dropping ten boulders.

Top Bottom